Who is better? Andre Johnson vs. Larry Fitzgerald

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tailgate, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

2. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

What is this like the fifth time a thread like this has popped up?

Neither one is better. They are both great players. There is no wrong decision.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

C'mon Andre, do what you do and settle this score once and for all.

4. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

HOWEVER, this is to funnel all the media coverage on the two from ESPN leading up to the game. Geese.

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I say AJ. I doubt Fitz could make Mr. Mittens look as good or better than Andre did for so many years.

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm glad we have at least one of them. :)

7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

The only knock against Andre Johnson is the lack of total TDs he's had over the years for a elite WR....

If he could actually put up double digit TDs, this wouldn't even be a debate......seriously though, we need to find a way to get AJ into the endzone more. He's only scored in one game this season.

8. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

I give the slight edge to AJ, but just by a hair. AJ never had a complementary receiver like Boldin to draw attention away until Kevin Walter showed up. Yet he was still consistently putting up stellar performances.

9. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Part of this is due to Capers' and Kubiaks' insistence on forcing the run in the end zone. You've rarely seen WR's on this team score from the end zone in this offense. It's always TE's and RB's.

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

This about sums it up for me too.

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Biggest knock on AJ in my opinion is that sometimes he just disappears and we've never seen what he's like in big games. Its more of an uknown than a knock I guesss. W'ell just have to wait until we play in the superbowl later this year to make our decision

12. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

No doubt. The question for me then... is how many times has he truly been targeted in the end zone this year, and overall really. You would think that he would get more lobs in the corner of the end zone. Is that because he is more easy to cover down there than the ther WRs who get more of those balls? I just dont buy that. So then is it the playcalling?

13. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Well if you really want to have the discussion, they're both great at doing similar things. I don't think one is better than the other really at anything. In the end I think that Calvin Johnson will end up being better than both if they can ever get an O line that can protect Stafford and he ends up developing. As far as pure talent goes, he's the best I've ever seen even over Randy Moss. It's just a matter of if the rest of the parts get their stuff together. For years people said "if only AJ was on a team where a QB could get him the ball." Well he is finally on a team like that now and he's been tearing it up the last few seasons. Fitzgerald was tearing it up in the stat book even with the garbage QB's he had before Warner though, and has also had to lose some of his stats to Boldin. Boldin being there has helped him some, but also took away some of his stats, so it's been sort of like a double edged sword. Last season though the two of them finally had a real QB for the first time in both of their careers and that offense went nuts. Again though, there is no right or wrong answer. THey play in different offenses with different factors of advantages and disadvantages. I don't think numbers and stats will ever completely tell the story with AJ, Fitz, or Calvin.

14. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Veteran

As long as were we're getting TDs(which we have been) it doesn't matter to me who's catching them. We saw what happened when Matt forced it to Aj in the endzone.

15. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Love AJ, but I mean...Fitz just ate up teams last year in the playoffs. He pulled the team to the Superbowl, and a drive short of a championship. Again Love AJ but, I haven't seen him do anything like that.

That and if you've seen the intensity and work ethic Fitz has it's...just downright crazy.

16. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I'll take the guy with the worlds most boring twitter page every day, and twice on Sundays.

e: Whats up H-town, whats good?

17. jppaul

jppaul Cut and Dry

18. davemundy

davemundy Rookie

19. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

That's exactly how I see it. I think you could even add Reggie Wayne into that group as well. People overlook Wayne because of what Harrison has done, but there probably isn't a better route runner or a set of hands on a receiver than Reggie Wayne.

They are just different players. They have different strengths.

20. b0ng

b0ng Ooops