Who has more to prove in 2006, Williams or Carr?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by hollywood_texan, Jul 24, 2006.

?

Who has more to prove in 2006, M. Williams or D. Carr?

1. Mario Wiliams

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. David Carr

69 vote(s)
    88.5%
  1. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I have ESPN Insider, and Jeremy Green wrote the article on the Texans Camp Preview. I think Jeremy doesn't know what he is talking about or just doesn't know how to convey his thoughts.

First, Jeremy basically says Williams has more to prove than Carr? Is this just ridiculous? Essentially, his point is Williams has to prove he was worth passing on Bush and Young. Maybe Carr needs to prove something since we passed on Julius Peppers in 2002? What is this guy talking about? He needs to get a clue. Carr has more to prove than anyone in the entire organization, expect for McNair himself.

He goes on in his review of the Texans and says that Carr will have a breakout year, but finishes his analysis by saying "expect him to become a middle-of-the-road NFL starter with the upside to get even better in 2007." Wow, that is a breakout year, Carr will just be average.

Another stunner in his review of the Texans is that Dunta Robinson will be the comeback player of the year. He states Robinson had a sophomore slump from his rookie year. Well, there was no pash rush last year and they couldn't stop the run, what does this guy expect from a corner back? It's not like a corner back can put a defense on his back and carry them to victory.

If you don't have ESPN Insider, don't worry about. There are many people on this board that do a lot better analysis than this lame writer. I am going to stick with you guys than this cruddy ESPN garbage. Need to get a refund on my ESPN subscription.

mancunian likes this.
  2. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I put Carr, because everyone is going to give Mario the rookie slack should he not get 16 sacks this year.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Four year veteran Carr has helluva' lot more to prove than rookie Williams, IMHO.

I wouldn't mind an "average" QB on a winning team, though. ;)

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I pointed out Robinson's poor play many times as the year wore on last season so I think he has a bit of a point but he goes totally overboard about the comeback player thing. He wasn't that bad.

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I don't think there's much doubt that DC is the guy under the gun this year,
    and in a way that he's never been before. But I also think that we every right to expect Mario to have a Shawn Merriamn type rookie season, though
    obviously he doesn't run the risk of losing his job with the Texans this year
    as Carr does.

6. AJExplosion80

AJExplosion80 Rookie

David has way more to prove than Mario. This is David's make or break year. If he struggles this year we will be going for a QB next year I guarentee. But I think this year if he learns to trust his OL we will be fine. If he has happy feet we could be in trouble again this year.:chicken:

7. cincyTEXAN

cincyTEXAN Rookie

how bout the entire team.

8. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Lets see...the guy in the league for 5 YEARS with no performance...or the guy who got drafted 5 months ago. hmmm...seems like a no brainer to me

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

to switch gears.

I think the OL has more to prove, (not saying Carr doesn't have anything he is a very close 2nd)..
    We have some 1st day draft picks on the OL and have big money on FA OL

Reason I say OL, we have blamed the coaches and they are gone, we have sherman and company that are zone blocking coaches... if they can't get the OL in gear, then we are back to square one

I want to know if Wand is the one that is a starter in 2004 or the Wand that was in the doghouse in 2005. I want to know if Flannigan can hold the center position and I want to know if McKinney can still play guard (he did his best at center but lets see if he can be solid at guard )

10. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

I am a big time "Wait and See" guy with Carr, but if he sucks next year I'm through making excuses for him. If Mario struggles, I'll be disappointed but sometimes it takes a year...

11. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

uh... alright.

Mario Williams doesn't have anything to prove this year. All he has to do is not get played and he will be fine. Hell, all he has to really do is make one monster hit for the highlight reels and this season is a wrap for him. After Leinert and Young start playing with the rest of the class next year, that is when things will heat up for him a bit. The rookie shield will work for one season on most players.

Kubiak/Carr have the seat this year... and rightfully so. In fact, I am waiting for the Texans PR machine to start shifting the weight to Carr/Kubiak to help Mario out. Sorta like what Pittsburgh did with Bettis and Rothlisburgensteiner ... still can't spell it right! ERRrrrr will look it up again... Roethlisberger.

But it's still a little early also...

12. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Oh geeee, another disingenuous thread started with some pseudo reason so that the group of 6 or 8 prolific posting Carr haters can continue to take shots at Carr.

13. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

David Carr since Mario williams might get the you were the 1st over pick we wont ever blame you for anything kind of slack.:stirpot:

14. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

Please explain yourself.

How could this be a disingeonous thread? Do you believe Mario Williams has more to prove than David Carr? The point of this thread was a response to some lame writer making the point Mario Williams has to prove himself in 2006 more than David Carr.

If you answer yes, that Mario Williams has more to prove,who is really being disingenuous?

By the way, if Mario Williams has to prove himself that we passed on Reggie Bush, then doesn't David Carr need to prove himself since we passed on Vince Young? Just following the writer's logic.

edo783, you are the one with blinders. By the way look at the poll. Most people agree that Carr has more to prove than Williams.

Ohhhh, geeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Also, I don't see anyone slaming Carr in this thread, just merely discussing the issue of who has more to prove, Williams or Carr.

15. real

real Guest

Carr Sucks !!! ...j/k...

16. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

It kinda tells me that people are split on Carr and he does play the most important position in the offense. I'm not surprised that people are worried about his game going forward. It's certainly an issue worth talking about on the teams message board imo.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Look, I don't know about ya'll but I beleive DC WILL be much improved. He's got the right tools he just needs to be taught to use them correctly. Yes, he is the one that has to prove something and I think he will.:superman:

18. TexanBearkat

TexanBearkat Rookie

A lot of eyes will be on Williams but Carr has more to prove for a few reasons:

Carr regressed last season after improving each of previous years
    Organization brought in an Offensive minded head coach/system to help Carr
    Gave Carr the three year bonus option when other options where available
    This is Carr's 5th year and time to show why he was the #1 pick

19. Rosewood

Rosewood Rookie

I voted Carr but they both have a lot to prove...the #1 pick has to show the world why he was indeed the top pick in the draft...at the same time, a 4 year vet has to show he can lead a team...Carr has to step it up with the better supporting cast around him...

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

No doubt about that Vinny. I am worried also about his performance. ItÂ’s the adnausium constancy of some to do nothing but take shots at every opportunity. Discussion is fine and I am all for it, but some just want to keep finding ways to put up something that allows a certain segment to just continue their constant diatribe.