Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who had the best draft?

threetoedpete said:
Well call me crazy but....,
Well the guy on the most important carry of his life, fourth and 1 @ the 6:42 mark of the fourth quarter in the national chapionship game...he got stuffed. The guy has yet to run a timed forty. In the most important moment of his life, a crucible for his chosen carreer, this player chose 1. not to work out and 2. go on an eating binge. Getting stuffed seems to be a reoccuring theme for 'ol biscuit.
There is an old saying...you are what you do. What he did was ride his larrels and got his feelings hurt when 32 teams said ...nope, in the draft . In White's case, it will be an epiphany of galaxtic porpotion if he turns his work habits, must less his attitude around.

As long as Young resists working on his passing Mechanics...all he will ever be is a freakish athlete. That might be good enough to get him to the SB one day. My book says it takes more than being a very rare athlete to make that gauntlet run at the super bowl at the end of a season. It takes more than a force of will. We'll see. Will tell you when you watch Young play, and he gets the lazy feet...high and right...every time. Book it. The titans reached for the fences on both picks. Young has the chance to make a turnaround. Biscuit is what he is. I'm not to terribly dissappointed that neither is on our roster.
Both players are much too leaky a vessels to put very much faith in.

It's funny you mention the one thing LenDale White did badly. He had 24 TDs during the regular season. We have two of the best college football players from last year on our football team now, there's nothing we can do but be happy.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
It's funny you mention the one thing LenDale White did badly. He had 24 TDs during the regular season. We have two of the best college football players from last year on our football team now, there's nothing we can do but be happy.
I tried, lol.
Well thumb tack...click your heels three times and say, there's no place like home, there's no place like home, theres .... The monkeys are flyin' outta the castle and you, dorthy are down for the count. Wizzard of Bud's big move was to stick "it" to Houston one last time befor he checks out. The end result will be several years in the cellar, the loss of a great head coach, The loss of the last true warrior @ QB and the franchise basically cratering. Pretty big price for " gotcha", but hey that's just me. :redtowel:

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
I agree, but if you think about it the only real way you can judge a draft is by how the player played in college.

That didn't work in the case of Ryan Leaf. He had a heck of a college career. The same can be said of many others (Tim Couch and Akili Smith comes to mind too).

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
High risk = high reward = titans

High risk = EITHER high reward OR little to no reward = Titans

We will probably know in 4 years how good this draft was.

Best Draft
1. Arizona- filled needs accross the board.
2. Atlanta- got a big time first rounder and then got the guy the wanted in the second and down.
3. Titans- Got to high risk players. If the pan out that is High reward, cannot argue with their moves. They do their players wrong and will likely lose Fisher, but who cares cause hope the all swim laps in the lake of fire.

Worst Draft
1. Bills- what the hell were they thinking. that is all that can be said.
2. Bears- you need help on offense like crazy and just say well forget about it.

TheOgre said:
That didn't work in the case of Ryan Leaf. He had a heck of a college career. The same can be said of many others (Tim Couch and Akili Smith comes to mind too).

Yeah but the comment I made still can't be argued with. It's true: realistically the ONLY way you can judge college players before they step on the field in an NFL game is what they did in college. Which further more solidifies my point that as of NOW the titans had the best 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

Coach C. said:
2. Bears- you need help on offense like crazy and just say well forget about it.

They really screwed up. They got no help that they needed, but then again a lot of the Bears fans up here felt that they didn't need to get anyone :) Still they pretty much threw away that whole draft.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
Yeah but the comment I made still can't be argued with. It's true: realistically the ONLY way you can judge college players before they step on the field in an NFL game is what they did in college. Which further more solidifies my point that as of NOW the titans had the best 1st and 2nd round draft picks.
Maybe that is true that Vince Young was the most successful 1st rounder in College, and same for White in the 2nd. However, in your previous post where you are saying Tennessee had the best draft, it seems like maybe you ignored some things. It seems like you ignore the fact that Vince Young is far from NFL ready, and is no gaurantee to pan out.

If i were you, i would not be concerned about Vince Young's low Wonderlic score, or even taking snaps from under center because i really don't think those are very important factors. However, what worries me about VY are his throwing mechanics. He throws like he is a midget with his strange motion, and he might have trouble adjusting it. Also, what i mean by that previous statement is that his arm is so low at the point of release, it is equal with a normal QB's release point who is somewhere between 5'9 to 5'11.

As for Lendale "man-boobs" White, he has shown he can be immatue at times which can be a big concern. For example, making that "fa**ot" comment at the rookie symposium. It also seems like he has trouble keeping himself at a decent weight. Another thing which might lead some to worry is his hamstring injury, which held him out of the combine.

I say Texans, 49ers, Eagles, and Packers all had better drafts than Tennessee.

SF49erFaithful said:
Maybe that is true that Vince Young was the most successful 1st rounder in College, and same for White in the 2nd. However, in your previous post where you are saying Tennessee had the best draft, it seems like maybe you ignored some things. It seems like you ignore the fact that Vince Young is far from NFL ready, and is no gaurantee to pan out.

If i were you, i would not be concerned about Vince Young's low Wonderlic score, or even taking snaps from under center because i really don't think those are very important factors. However, what worries me about VY are his throwing mechanics. He throws like he is a midget with his strange motion, and he might have trouble adjusting it. Also, what i mean by that previous statement is that his arm is so low at the point of release, it is equal with a normal QB's release point who is somewhere between 5'9 to 5'11.

As for Lendale "man-boobs" White, he has shown he can be immatue at times which can be a big concern. For example, making that "fa**ot" comment at the rookie symposium. It also seems like he has trouble keeping himself at a decent weight. Another thing which might lead some to worry is his hamstring injury, which held him out of the combine.

I say Texans, 49ers, Eagles, and Packers all had better drafts than Tennessee.

Do you think we care if he is immature? The guy had 24 TDs last year. And as far as VY throwing motion is concerned: He can throw it UNDERHAND for all i care. The guy gets the ball to the receivers. I'm sorry you have Alex Smith, I really am. But going by VY's college career, we have nothing to be worried about at this moment in time.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
Do you think we care if he is immature? The guy had 24 TDs last year. And as far as VY throwing motion is concerned: He can throw it UNDERHAND for all i care. The guy gets the ball to the receivers. I'm sorry you have Alex Smith, I really am. But going by VY's college career, we have nothing to be worried about at this moment in time.
Hmmmmmmmm....not sure if you understand that there is a difference between the NFL and NCAA. VY got the ball to his receivers in college, but if he continues to throw with that motion i expect to see a lot of his throws batted and tipped. I am pretty sure they going to try and correct his mechanic though.

About the Alex Smith comment, i guess this year it will be more fair to judge. Last year he had no weapons with Brandon "alligator arms" Lloyd as the #1 WR and TE E. Johnson out for the entire season. He also had no protection from the line, which had suffered some key injuries. And one more thing, he had Mike McCarthy as his OC who offesne is complicated it is tough for players to feel comfortable in it, and I'm still a little confused at to why Green Bay hired him as their HC.

SF49erFaithful said:
Hmmmmmmmm....not sure if you understand that there is a difference between the NFL and NCAA. VY got the ball to his receivers in college, but if he continues to throw with that motion i expect to see a lot of his throws batted and tipped. I am pretty sure they going to try and correct his mechanic though.

About the Alex Smith comment, i guess this year it will be more fair to judge. Last year he had no weapons with Brandon "alligator arms" Lloyd as the #1 WR and TE E. Johnson out for the entire season. He also had no protection from the line, which had suffered some key injuries. And one more thing, he had Mike McCarthy as his OC who offesne is complicated it is tough for players to feel comfortable in it, and I'm still a little confused at to why Green Bay hired him as their HC.

Out of curiosity, other than adding Vernon Davis how is the offense looking this year? It seems to me you guys haven't added many pieces to help Alex Smith run the offense. How is the optimism.skepticism for the upcoming season among fans out there?

I would also add that the Cardinals had a great draft, IMO the best among any team.

MorKnolle said:
Out of curiosity, other than adding Vernon Davis how is the offense looking this year? It seems to me you guys haven't added many pieces to help Alex Smith run the offense. How is the optimism.skepticism for the upcoming season among fans out there?

I would also add that the Cardinals had a great draft, IMO the best among any team.
The 49ers offense should actually look different. Although they lost Brandon Lloyd, IMO they upgraded at WR by signing Antonio Bryant. Another thing, our #2 WR Arnaz Battle missed a lot of games due to injury, so he should be coming back. Also, we have some key offensive linemen coming back from injury, like Jonas Jennings, Jeremy Newberry, and we signed Larry Allen. I also expect to see some 2 TE sets this year, because Eric Johnson who caught 82 passes in 2004, is returning this year after missing all of 2005 due to a broken foot. We hired Norv Turner as our OC as well, who offense should be easier to grasp than McCarthy's, who left to GB. One of the other things we did to help out Alex is trade to get Dilfer, to help and mentor Smith.

I think the Cards had a great draft as well, but i still think other teams had better because it seems like the Cards drafted some fat/lazy players.

SF49erFaithful said:
The 49ers offense should actually look different. Although they lost Brandon Lloyd, IMO they upgraded at WR by signing Antonio Bryant. Another thing, our #2 WR Arnaz Battle missed a lot of games due to injury, so he should be coming back. Also, we have some key offensive linemen coming back from injury, like Jonas Jennings, Jeremy Newberry, and we signed Larry Allen. I also expect to see some 2 TE sets this year, because Eric Johnson who caught 82 passes in 2004, is returning this year after missing all of 2005 due to a broken foot. We hired Norv Turner as our OC as well, who offense should be easier to grasp than McCarthy's, who left to GB. One of the other things we did to help out Alex is trade to get Dilfer, to help and mentor Smith.

Interesting, I hadn't read anything about the Niners offseason so that's a good update. What about yall's defense?

TexansSeminole said:
Interesting, I hadn't read anything about the Niners offseason so that's a good update. What about yall's defense?
Well, of course you all know, the defense had some rough times last year. However, they could never get off the field due to the offenses constant 3 and outs. They, like the offense, have some key players returning from injury in Jeff Ulbrich and Tony Parrish. Also, some fans of other teams will sometimes point out that the defense has lost both Andre Carter and Julian Peterson. What some don't understand though is that neither fit well in a 3-4 "D". Carter is more suited to play DE in a 4-3 and Peterson fitting better as a 4-3 OLB.

I expect the defense to be improved from last year, a lot because it is their second year in the system.

SF49erFaithful said:
Well, of course you all know, the defense had some rough times last year. However, they could never get off the field due to the offenses constant 3 and outs. They, like the offense, have some key players returning from injury in Jeff Ulbrich and Tony Parrish. Also, some fans of other teams will sometimes point out that the defense has lost both Andre Carter and Julian Peterson. What some don't understand though is that neither fit well in a 3-4 "D". Carter is more suited to play DE in a 4-3 and Peterson fitting better as a 4-3 OLB.

I expect the defense to be improved from last year, a lot because it is their second year in the system.

So whos going to start as linebackers?

TexansSeminole said:
So whos going to start as linebackers?
To be honest, no one is sure because TC hasn't even started yet. But ATM it looks like this

ROLB - Lawson
ILB - Ulbrich
ILB - Smith
LOLB - Moore

I like the 49ers draft too. They get a freak with there first pick and Manny Lawson with their second pick. SF49erFaithful, you guys did good with your picks, even after we won the first overall pick from you :)

TexanFan881 said:
I like the 49ers draft too. They get a freak with there first pick and Manny Lawson with their second pick. SF49erFaithful, you guys did good with your picks, even after we won the first overall pick from you :)

Had we beat the 49ers the Saints would have ended up with the #1 pick, then the 9ers at #2 and us at #3, so we most likely would have missed out on Bush and Mario. That would have drastically changed up our offseason, we likely would have tried to trade down or else maybe grabbed D'Brick or Hawk, A.J. Hawk probably would have been my top choice if we had ended up with the #3 pick.

MorKnolle said:
Had we beat the 49ers the Saints would have ended up with the #1 pick, then the 9ers at #2 and us at #3, so we most likely would have missed out on Bush and Mario. That would have drastically changed up our offseason, we likely would have tried to trade down or else maybe grabbed D'Brick or Hawk, A.J. Hawk probably would have been my top choice if we had ended up with the #3 pick.

Thanks for clearing that up. The whole weekend was about the "Bush Bowl" so I thought that whichever team lost was gonig to get the pick.

If we were at #3 I think we pick D'Brick...but...I would have liked A.J. a lot better at #3 than D'Brick, probably because of my theory that you get a lot better value out of offensive lineman later in the draft than you would at any other position.

MorKnolle said:
Actually, if we had lost you guys last season, we would have picked #3 with you guys at #2 with the Saints getting the first overall pick. Even if you beat us, our record would be equal but since our strength of schedule was stronger than yours, you would have picked ahead of us. And to be honest, i am actually not sure who had a stronger schedule last year, Houston or NO. If it was you guys, then you would have picked at #2

BTW, i also like where you guys are headed and although i don't exactly agree with the #1 pick, i thought the 3rd rounders were great and i am pretty fond of DeMeco Ryans.

TexanFan881 said:
Let me jump on board of this bandwagon also. Believe y'all got a good 1.
Thanks very much for the update 49er. I believe you guys might surprise some people this year. Young QB's best friend is a good tightend. I think AS makes great strides this season. Only hope ours is as successful.

Give a big Katy, Texas Howdy to Heitmann. Looks as though he's starting out
on the pine this year.

threetoedpete said:
Let me jump on board of this bandwagon also. Believe y'all got a good 1.
Thanks very much for the update 49er. I believe you guys might surprise some people this year. Young QB's best friend is a good tightend. I think AS makes great strides this season. Only hope ours is as successful.

Give a big Katy, Texas Howdy to Heitmann. Looks as though he's starting out
on the pine this year.
I think they will be much improved from last season also, and hope Alex and the team as a whole will make strides.

As for Heitmann, he will most likely be a back-up this season since we signed Larry Allen and have Jeremy Newberry returning from injury.

Good luck to you guys as well with the season. I hope David Carr will prove he can be an effective passer, when the O-line looking improved this season.

Can't wait for the season to start! :yahoo:

Titan "Tack" Fan said:

What about the fact that it'll take Vince about 5 years to learn half the play book?:hides: IMO,The White pick was better than the VY pick. As long as he keeps his mouth shut and trains hard he'll be pretty good.:twocents:

HOU-TEX said:
What about the fact that it'll take Vince about 5 years to learn half the play book?:hides: IMO,The White pick was better than the VY pick. As long as he keeps his mouth shut and trains hard he'll be pretty good.:twocents:

You don't know how long it will take Vince to learn anything...thats just foolish.

swtbound07 said:
You don't know how long it will take Vince to learn anything...thats just foolish.

You don't think that the offense he had at Texas was built around him? I don't recall ever seeing it before VY. It was so basic. I mean when the ball was snapped it was either a draw to the RB or a pass. If it was a pass then he'd take a look or two down field and the take off when nothing was available.

I was being sarcastic about the time frame, chief.

HOU-TEX said:
You don't think that the offense he had at Texas was built around him? I don't recall ever seeing it before VY. It was so basic. I mean when the ball was snapped it was either a draw to the RB or a pass. If it was a pass then he'd take a look or two down field and the take off when nothing was available.

Who knows what tenn will do to make the playbook work in conjunction with him. However people saying he wont get it as an assumption is foolish...did it ever occur to you that maybe texas used the offense they did because...GASP...it worked??? no, it must be all Vince Young's fault. All the kid does is win.

HOU-TEX said:

And yet Pete Carroll (former NFL head coach/defensive coordinator) still couldn't find a way to stop this simplistic offense.

Why do you think that is?

Huge said:
And yet Pete Carroll (former NFL head coach/defensive coordinator) still couldn't find a way to stop this simplistic offense.

Why do you think that is?

Because he's a good runner/athlete. I'll admit that, but I won't admit he's a good QB. I don't like Vick as a QB either. I guess I'm just an old school pocket passer with an occasional rollout type guy.:rolleyes:

chuckm said:
Whattya say we re-visit this in 3 or 4 years when we an make an intelligent assessment?
Well that of course is the lazy mans response. You look at college games, watch the bowls, watch the combine, you get pretty darn close to who is NFL capable and who's a shot in the dark. Then you figgure who needs what, who's drafting where....you can tell who has a clue and who doesn't. Every now and then a vBill Bates or a Chriss Dishman comes around and beats the odds. But they are far a few between. Tell ya what we'll both watch Trueblood of Tampa Bay. Remember, day two pick....I saw a guy who could maul people. A lot of others saw a slow footed OL who couldn't move well past ten yards. We'll see. Monday morning qbing is only good for Hookers and wanna bes, four years. Base ball/Soccer guy right ?

Back