Who else is uncomfortable with becoming the Houston Broncos...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by phan1, Jun 29, 2006.

1. phan1

phan1 All Pro

This is starting to get a little ridiculous. After Kubiak, we get Rick Smith, and then Strahm, who are all from Denver. This whole Denver affiliation is getting a little too much for me. I can't help feel that we are the poor man's Denver team right now.

Thankfully, Kubiak wants to build a championship defense, and it looks like ours won't be like Denver's. :) I don't remember hearing much about Denver D other than Champ Bailey highlights. Haven't they been trying to put together a good Dline for years now? Anyways, it's getting to be a little too much. Denver always looks like a team who's in the race for the Post season, but there are a few things I don't think they do that well.

Drafting is a biggie as the people who are going to be in charge of the draft are Denver guys. Sorry, but I don't remember Denver as being a team that drafts particularly well. It took them a really long time to find a servicable QB in Plummer, and it's not like I see any star players on that team. You got Al Wilson and that's pretty much it. It seems that they've been built totally around their running game. Time will tell of course, but the people who are going to be in charge of personnel are going to have a lot to prove.

2. jreal26

jreal26 Rookie

You obviously haven't paid much attention to Denver. Denver has one of the better defenses in the league. They especially have a great trio of LB's. They are one of the fastest, and most aggressive defenses in the league.

3. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

I agree. I think it is a little unsettling. But, Kubiak was never in charge over in Denver. We have to have faith that he will find his own way.

4. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno....but maybe that's because they have such a superior record every
    year they only get to pick over the left overs from the the earlier picks made
    by all of the loosers. But I do seem to recall them making some pretty good picks in the later rounds over the years.
    I went to see a scrimmage last year in pre-season at one of the Reliant Field
    practice fields and watched the Texans go against the Broncos.
    The Bronco's were very quick, very aggressive, and obviously highly disciplined and looked far superior to the Texans. I got no trouble with using that kind of team as a role model.

5. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

I think the lack of "star" players is probably because Denver's system relies so much on players acting as a unit rather than getting an Urlacher or Ray Lewis and then finding a way to keep blockers off of them until they can make plays.

Yes, the offense is mostly centered around the running game. The Broncos can pass though, and I don't care if the offense is centered around the guy who tapes their ankles as long as they score points - and they do.

6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Oooo, you said Urlacher, I would love to have that guy on our LB squad. Imagine Urlacher, Demeco and Greenwood as our LB's. Geesh, I need some football.:francis:

7. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

I said this a long, long time ago. It's ridiculous to form your team in the image of another team -- especially when they haven't even gotten into the SB in years. The Browns tried to become a mirror image of the 49ers -- look where that got them. Plus, seems to me that if you wanted the Broncs, then you'd be a Broncs fan. To simply become Broncos Lite is very uncreative and not very smart at all.

8. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

With all the faux pas that Kubiak has been involved in up to now, that "faith" is becoming more like "blind faith."

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I can think of other defensive standouts that were produced in Denver. Guys like Bill Romanowski, Neil Smith, of course Champ, Trevor Pryce. They've had a good defense.

Alot of the reasons you don't see great picks going to Denver is because they are always at the bottom of the draft order due to their record. The other reason is because they are always making key additions in FA. Such as John Lynch and now Johnnie Abraham.

I can't wait to see what these dudes do.

10. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

The biggest problem I have with it, is that it smacks of cronyism instead of meritocracy. Meaning you are seeing guys filling posts by being buddies, in lieu of merit. This might go away with performance though.

The next big problem will not go so easily, and I am already starting to feel it from the local sportsnards. If we win, it's Denver South... if we lose, it's Bronco South Dump.

11. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I wouldn't mind a "poor man's Broncos." That's good for what, at least +4 in the win column this year?

But in all seriousness, Kubiak is forging a new direction for this team. He's picked Denver compatriots because he's comfortable working with them, but for the record, I have no problem with any of his choices so far. They all appear to be solid football minds and terrific upgrades to their predecessors. If I thought the good ol' boy system was bringing in unqualified candidates, then it would be a problem, but so far, everyone he's brought on board has a solid, if not slightly short, resume.

12. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

Effectively using the word "Meritocracy" on a football message board deserves applause. Nice job.

:whoohoo:

13. Bearfan Blue and Orange

Bearfan Blue and Orange Veteran

HMmmm. Denver back to back superbowls... majority winning seasons... You could say the same about the Patriots... NO Superstars there either. just a TEAM UNIT. through the unit stars are born.

Superstars get frustrated on a team.... TO, Javon Walker, (i'll take the heat for this one) Moulds, etc...

Denver is not a bad team to mirror... you can call me the Houston Broncos for all I care if it gets us to the playoffs and a Superbowl!!!

:bananasplit:

14. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I completely agree. Teams like the Colts who focus on individual outstanding players instead of focusing on creating a team will never have any SB blings. Teams like Denver and New England have the ability to make use of any level of talent due to their unique playing style.

"We don't collect talent, we build a team"

-Bill Belichick

He knows a thing or two about putting together a team and winning championships.

Maybe Kubiak knows what he is doing... beginning first and foremost with his most noticable move in the off-season... surpassing Reggie to grab Mario. Maybe he knew that we already have an above average run game, and needed a DE more. Maybe we have ourselves a really awesome coaching staff now. I believe it.

15. Bearfan Blue and Orange

Bearfan Blue and Orange Veteran

This is not uncommon for any new head coach coming in. Cooincidence is that you have more Front Office openings because people have left and cleaning house was done too.

Each of these guys were successful at Denver and that is why he brought them here with him. The more people on the same page allows for efficient and fast progression in football forward.

16. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

O yeah certainly, I agree. College and the NFL

17. gooneybird

gooneybird Rookie

The additions from the Broncos are fine with me. I guess we will see how they pan out in the coming seasons. Would we be better off if we were pulling guys from San Francisco, Detroit, or Phoenix?

I think it all boils down to who the guys in charge are more comfortable working with.

18. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

this isnt uncomfortable at all i love being like the denver broncos who can sign an undrafted rookie and make him into a great wide reciever that gets 6 TDs and 1000 yards and can draft a RB in the 6th round and get him 12 TDs and 1000 yards. Maybe one day the texans can do that.

19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Except Trevor Pryce, none of those guys were drafted by Denver....

20. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

My point exactly. It was suggested that they didn't draft well and I informed it is because they do well in FA and alot of their FA work for them.