Who do we take....???

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Ole Miss Texan, Oct 28, 2007.

?

Who should the Texans take?

1. Sam Baker- LT- USC

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Jonathan Stewart- RB- Oregon

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Kenny Phillips- FS- Miami

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  4. Mike Jenkins- CB- South Florida

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Dan Conner- OLB- Penn St.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Well, I think everyone is freaking out about our season. I don't really see us getting to 8-8 this season anymore so let's just assume we finish 6-10...we have 3 more victories the rest of the year and we'll pretend they are against oakland, new orleans, and tennessee of course :)

So if we end up with the #8 overall pick and the following players are all available...who do we take? These are the top prospects at their positions and of needs for the Texans.

1. Make your pick
    2. Post who you selected and why

There are going to be valid arguements for each guy...but if you feel like it please rank the players of the order you'd select them over each other.

2. Ole Miss Texan

I'll start off and say I would love any of these players, however if I had to choose one I would take Sam Baker. I think we need to fix our OL and get a guy to anchor that spot for 10+ years, protect Schaub b/c he is getting beat up, and open up running lanes for our RB's.

I also really like Stewart and Phillips....these are my top 3 guys...order-wise I'm not so sure.

3. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Kenny Phillips in a heart beat. I cannot watch our current safeties blow coverages and just play plain bad any longer.

4. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

If it's offense in the first round, it needs to be a lineman. We can't draft a RB and hope that he can fix our problems. We have to start from the inside out.

If it's defense, it obviously should be a defensive back.... and probably a safety. I haven't seen any of these guys play but I sure hope they don't get overlooked by our scouts and staff.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

the best way to take pressure off your QB is a solid running game. until the Texans address this need with a legitimate power/explosive downhill type back, Kubiaks system of a balanced attack that worked in Denver will struggle its too one-dimensional, predictable & easily stopped.

Jonathan Stewart

ps. Ole Miss but I've been watching Sam Baker for a couple years now & he keeps looking older & battle worn each outing. this past weekend against Oregon it looked to me like he hyper-extended his knee & had to remove himself from the field :ouch:

6. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Is Ray Rice entering the draft this year?

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Jonathan Stewart or Dan Connor.

If we are top 10 then I'm not sure Phillips is worth the pick. He still has an impact in the running game but he looks like less of a playmaker against the pass back there than he did last year.

8. Ole Miss Texan

beerlover- That's too bad about Baker...how do you feel about Ryan Clady? Is he a guy that could sneak up into a top 10-15 pick and be good for the Texans?

gwallaia- I'm not sure if Rice is declaring or not. He's a RB I really like but not in the top half of the 1st round...I'd take him if we traded down.

bah007- I see Stewart and Connor as being solid picks. I think they are safe picks and we know what we're getting... studs. That concerns me about Phillips though, I just really really want a ball-hawking FS...I hope he steps it up.

9. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I do not normally participate in draft discussions so early since its hard to know who is in and who is not. Also we have no idea where the Texans will be drafting. That being said, if we were in fact picking 8 I would not select any of those players. We have too many holes as it is, and one player will not make a difference.

So, here is what I would do:
    I would trade our 8th pick to the team picking 20 for their #20, #52, and #84. The math works perfectly here. If this occurs we would have #20,#52, #72, and #84.

This would allow us to fill our many holes with very good players. Here are some potential names to consider.
    #20: Ryan Clady: OT-Boise State:We need a strong LT and he seems to be a great fit

#52: Terrell Thomas:CB- USC: Put him with Dunta, slide Bennett over to nickle and you now have a very impressive CB group. Oh, and this means we can finally cut Faggins!

#72: Cory Boyd: RB-South Carolina: He has 4.48 speed, has good hands, and can carry the rock through a very tough SEC schedule. I think he would look good in a Texans uni.

#84: Jonathan Hefney, FS, Tennessee. From what i am seeing there are not a lot of good senior FS. This might be the second best one available.

All of these picks seem reasonable(right now) and all could step in and start tomorrow for the Texans. The key to building a successful team is through the draft and wise FA moves. This only takes into account the draft. Clealry we will have a lot of $ to throw around in the off season. I suggest we use some of that money to resign Dunta.

10. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

I like that scenario, but I like Craig Steltz over Hefney. And maybe Xavier Abibi over Thomas. I think Bennett will prove to be a solid #2 CB.

Still, I voted for Phillips. If we have another top ten pick and choose not to trade down, Phillips is the best value pick in my opinion. I wouldn't be upset if we went with Ryan Clady or Jonathan Stewart though.

11. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

McFaddin Falls we switch with Dallas. Dallas selects Darrin McFaddin in the four slot. Texan get 15, 31 and Dallas' 2nd in '08 & '09

1. # 15 over all -Ryan Clady Boise St.
    2. # 31 over all - Ezra Butler LB Nevada
    3 Dallas 2nd- Reggie smith DB OU
    4. our 3- Heath Benedict OL Newberry
    5. our 4- Doug Legurski C Marshall

Trade our Extra '09 2 for Turner the burner. But be carefull what you wish for you just may get it.

But to answer the original question I get the best OLineman I can get my hands on. What we have isn't going to develope into a top ten unit. Can I get an ahmen ? If they don't like the guys in that slot you trade back untill the pick fits the need. If they can't do that BPA. I'd guess over pay for a big Corner who has S experence or who translates to safty at the end of his career.

12. beerlover

I understand the idea of addressing multiple needs via the draft in a trade down scenero, but that was not the option of this poll "who do you take....???"

that said, Clady is a better fit for this team over Baker (not listed). I would love to draft a good young LT, that would be a tough, tough decision to make between Clady & Stewart but I think Stewart grades out higher, again bpa in this scenero as well :specnatz:

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

BPA. of those guys, it's probably Baker.

14. beerlover

can you explain why?

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I voted Sam Baker, but really, I haven't seen Baker play since last year, so I don't know how he's doing. I'm basically voting for a left tackle. Every year, we fans (and evidently the team) make excuses why we shouldn't draft a left tackle (and later, a center). Every year, this is what we get. From 2002-2004, Carr was making progress, and could have been a good QB in this league, even with what shortcomings he had. Anyone remember David Carr vs. the Vikings in 2004? Anyone remember the heart against the Falcons in 2003? etc., etc., etc. Eventually, it all caught up to him, and he became the "happy feet, ohmygod I'm going to get hit, tuck-and-curl or run out of bounds" David Carr. We all hated that. We have a QB right now that can be a good QB in this league. How long before he turns into the next DC? Granted, it's early to ask that question, but it's worth asking, because I don't want to see another DC here.

Fix the damn offensive line already.

16. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Come draft time I think there is a distinct possability that we'll have our shot at McFaddin and if that is the case its McFaddin over all...including all the LTs.

17. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

we start CC F'ing Brown. Kenny Phillips, craig Steltz, who the F ever. new free safety. Its not optional.

18. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

We are also starting Ahman Green, Salaam, Flannagan, Pitts, Clark, Weaver, Hutchins, Greenwood and Faggins.

Oh how I wish FS was our only issue

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I hate that this is what Texans fans do mid season every year....it's like a rich tradition.

20. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

no kidding............

:gun:
    Kenny Phillips. Do I have to explain why?