Who decided to go young in the DBs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texanmike02, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

I still don't know, but today Frank Bush took the fall for them.

Think about what we did to him. We took a team that had an above average to good defense last year and then stripped him of anything meaningful in the secondary.

I know this won't be a popular opnion... I'm good with that, but what did we expect? He was asked to repeat his performance with a TOTAL of 7 years of experience between 6 DBs. The closest thing we gave him to help was grabbing a guy that Miami cut in order to make room for a guy who never played a down for them because of injury.

Is Smith to blame? I don't know. Is Kubiak to blame? I don't know.

Cushing was obviously a problem and Barwin etc etc.. those are excuses though... injuries happen... the problem is that you litreally took away any veterans at the CB position and left Bush with a washed up FS who can't make up for the Pollards lack of coverage skills... a 2nd year guy in Nolan who made playse but was... well a 2nd year player.. and then a bunch of Rookies and 2nd year players at CB. That is one position where playing time seems to be a requirement. How often do you bring a guy in as a rookie, even a top talent, and have him play exceptional? Even Daunta's rookie season, and he had a ton of experience mentoring him by the way, he had slip ups.

And another thing. How does anyone jump on Jackson for his season. Who is the vet that he turns to for individual, one on one tips in the matchups he sees? Who is his mentor. If the decision to go young was made and the expectation was that the defense would come anywhere close to the last 13 weeks of last season then that person should be fired today. I don't care if its Gary, Frank, Bob, Rick or hell Matt Schaub...

Mike

2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

They should have caught on after watching Jackson in camp .

[​IMG]

Big Lou and Carr Bombed like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Unless you are part of the orginization , all we can do is guess as to who made those decisions. I said as much in another post asking many of the same questions .
    I dont have the answers .... although I'd like to believe that it was Rick Smith's decision.

FWIW he played pretty well in camp .... but camp isnt an NFL game.

4. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

It's worked for Kanas City

Of course they have one of the best GM's in the NFL and Romeo calling the defense.

That and they jettisoned Bernard "Less Talented Roy Williams" Pollard

5. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

We don't know who made those decisions. It could very well have been Frank Bush's decision. I find it hard to believe that Bush didn't have any say in that matter.

And, as many of us have previously discussed and debated, Frank Bush places the players in a position to fail. It's not just the players' ineptitude.

6. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

They wrote a bunch on him , about how AJ was working with him . I think he's kinda slow . I think you can train for the 40 ( make your money ) and get it down some but can you play fast .

7. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Mike,

I wrote about how difficult it is to assess responsibility in the organization last week and also put together a little laundry list of the enormous mistakes someone has been making: http://www.texansbullblog.com/answer-replaced/news/

8. Texanmike02

Well both of their corners were going into their third year and they have a guy with 6 years experience at the CB position.

Going into the season our 4th round pick from last year and our first round pick from this year were slated as our starters. Moulden was our "aged vet" with an eye popping two years of experience.

By the way, the last two years KC finished 27th (2008) and 21st (last year) while their young guys learned the system. In 08 they gave up 3750 yards... we gave up about 30 more ypg this year than they did that year.

I'm just saying.

Mike

9. Texanmike02

Yeah, I know its impossible to tell who is responsible for them. I'm just thinking that if I were Frank Bush and they came to me and said "We want to get to the playoffs this year... by the way we're firing anyone who's had more than 2 years experience in the secondary... hope that's alright" I don't think he would have signed off off on that. But we'll never know.

I remember when I talked to Dan Reeves a while back about the situation with Mario/VY/Bush his account of how things went was very very different from how I would have imagined it.

Mike

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Please tell me?!!!!

11. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Smith's inability to negotiate a contract played its part. It may have forced the "decision" on the the Texans.

12. Texanmike02

I wrote a thread about it a while back and have the audio somewhere. I called the guys on late hits on sirius radio and Mr. Reeves was on, so I asked him about what happened. I downloaded the audio that night, let me see if I still have it. I should remember (it was actually very cool and he took like 4 or 5 minutes to explain it to me. I know I was shocked, but this is 4 years ago or so and I don't want to give you the wrong details.

Mike

13. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I said this on another thread. "A good GM doesn't let this happen". I've always been in Kubiaks corner, but I would have no problem if McNair fired him today. In saying that, if you're going to fire Kubiak, then you have to fire Smith in the same breath. There's no way I let Smith head up a search for a new HC.

Regardless, now we get to see what they come up with for hiring a new Defensive staff, and getting through the CBA negotiations. If we don't make the playoffs next year, then McNair needs to clean house and get a proven Football guy to run the organization.

14. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

You're claiming to be privy to the definitive explanation from a good personal friend of Bob McNairs, an insider as it were, about what went into the Texans decision in their 2006 #1 pick ?

15. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Damn, I'd love to hear that too. Please post it ASAP. Thanks.

16. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

And the Texans PR machine is running around telling people that all we needed if a top defense to match our top offense. Do they take every single one of us as suckers? Last year the offense was rated in the top 5, I think, and the defense was rated light-years ahead of the 2010 defense. Top 15 defense, I think. We still could not even muster 10 wins. Why will 2011 be different? Wade Phillips? PFFT!

So, did the stripping of the secondary blow up the defense this badly?

Or is there more to this?

hollywood_texan likes this.
  17. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Crucial turnovers caused that. Kris Brown's misses, Slaton's fumbing, Chris Brown's stupid pass

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I don't know who decided to go young with the DB's but I know one thing. He was hired by the guy who decided to go inexperienced and inexpensive with the coaches so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise how that turned out.

19. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Will a better defense help our "elite" offense score more than 7 points
    in the first half?

20. Texanmike02

Well if by calling the guys on late hits and hearing Dan Reeves answer my question you call that inside information then me and a few million listeners have inside information.

Mike