Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who absolutely needs to be cut from this team next year?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
After watching yesterday's game & seeing the same thing i've seen for 6 years I couldn't help but think "If i see this dude ___________ 1 more time, my head's gonna explode." I ended up coming to the conclusion that certain players & coaches have to be gone next year, or i'll have to start seriously considering this team's commitment to winning & thereby reevaluate my allegiance to them. Here's my list.

Weaver - 1-2 sacks in 3 years? There are guys who come off the bench for other teams who have more than that. Terrible pass rusher & OK at run defense.

Faggins - has been here since the start & wasn't able to beat out an aging Coleman & Glenn then. Got his chance as the starter the last 2 years...it's confirmed.....he still sucks. he's okay as a nickel but since we just drafted molden, & faggins has already gotten his shot, doesn't it make more sense to get molden in there at the nickel to see what he's got?

TJ - he's another one who's been given chance after chance to live up to his billing & he's failed miserably. I sat & just watched him in the steelers/titans games & he just looks awful. To top it off, he's exactly what some on here say we need more of & the type of player McNair doesn't draft/pick up.......a knuclehead with attitude....... for those of you saying that how do ya still feel that way now?

Ahman Green / Chris Brown - I mean seriously, do i need to go into detail about these 2?

Richard Smith - I've pointed out in other threads that this guy has done nothing in his career to warrant keeping him around another season. He doesn't utilize his players' strengths, the defense isn't very cohesive in executing its stunts & blitzes & he seemingly isn't willing to take enough chances during the game so that they might get good at them. Yeah he doesn't have the best talent, but it's becoming more noticeable that his scheme sucks as i heard Adam Wexler mention it on the radio the other day.

John Hoke - Who's the common factor in our defensive secondary whoas every year since our inaguration year? Why is it that none of the Db's (except dunta) in our short history seem to be able to play the ball in the air very well? You guessed it & like it or not that falls on him. We have yet to be surprised by any of our late round DB prospects & every FA we bring in or release seems to either look worse here than they did at their previous teams or better than they did here. We also have yet to be pleasantly surprised by a late round DB stepping up in his tenure which is a stark contrast to almost every team in the league. IMO he's just overrated as a coach & it's time to try something new.

CC Brown - never had the talent to be a starter & shouldn't be one, yet for some reason Kubes thinks this guy is the 2nd coming of Steve Atwater & continues to start him. He doesn't tackle well, & has garbage hands although you'd never know that b/c he's not fast enough to cover the ground necessary to provide support to your CB's. he'd probably be okay in special teams...but so would a bunch of average NFL guys....let him go.

Greenwood- more known to fans for his sub-par rapping skills than actually making plays on the field. It's sad when you can play a whole game & fans don't even know you're in there. He'd be great on special teams but with what we're paying him, he would need to renegotiate. Otherwise i could care less if he were let go...it's not like we'd be missing big play capabilities.

Honorable mention: Chester Pitts, M. Briesel.

those are just the few off the top of my head.

Last edited:

V3rm0nt3r

Rookie
who do you suggest replace them? We started a 38 year old on the d-line yesterday. Weaver is too expensive to cut and nobody will trade. And, now that Brown is hurt we have a rook and a 2nd year 5th rounder fighting for a STARTING job. there is NO depth on this team and the FO tries to build through the draft and no big names have come into the locker room since Schaub and Green. these guys do need be cut but they wont be. sorry but I'm just the messenger.

And I like Greenwood's raps... just saying.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I'm with you expect for Pitts.

I would add Myers at C, Diles at LB, Reeves at CB, and ANYONE playing safety, as the whole bunch of them together don't add up to one decent safety.

TJ - he's another one who's been given chance after chance to live up to his billing & he's failed miserably. I sat & just watched him in the steelers/titans games & he just looks awful. To top it off, he's exactly what some on here say we need more of & the type of player McNair doesn't draft/pick up.......a knuclehead with attitude....... for those of you saying that how do ya still feel that way now?
Ummm, I'm not sure what you were watching in the Titan game--Johnson was on the inactive list for that one. Was he wearing an ugly suit on the sidelines, perhaps?

Johnson could be a decent player, but he is miscast in his current role. He is not a run-stuffer--he and Amobi are basically the same player. We need Okam to grow up in a hurry or find a good-run stuffer to anchor the line and let our speed linemen make plays.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
who do you suggest replace them? We started a 38 year old on the d-line yesterday. Weaver is too expensive to cut and nobody will trade. And, now that Brown is hurt we have a rook and a 2nd year 5th rounder fighting for a STARTING job. there is NO depth on this team and the FO tries to build through the draft and no big names have come into the locker room since Schaub and Green. these guys do need be cut but they wont be. sorry but I'm just the messenger.

And I like Greenwood's raps... just saying.
Actually after this season weaver is not to expensive to cut. I am not sure what anyone expects out of Weaver but he is not going to record any sacks or put up numbers when the Defensive Coordinator has him dropping back into coverage and sending a LB (Richards version of the Blitz).

As far as no depth, the depth is better than it was since Kubiak and now Rick Smith got here.

Getting rid of these players and saying they all suck kinda reminds me of how everyone blasted Gaffney and saying how much he sucked (including me). Now in threads I seem him being brought as a huge mistake by letting him go. Of course you can not have it both ways, so I would say Palmer and Capers and YKW were at fault there. So here we are again having a hard time of evaluating talent because of the scheme that is being run.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
We might be better served on figuring out who to keep rather than who to cut. The list would be a lot shorter that way.... :shades:

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
Faggins needs to go, but the staff loves him for some reason. He is awful and we will never have a compatent secondary with him in it. Um, Reeves is bad, but Id keep him on as a nickle/dime back. Bruner is irrelevent. Green and Brown? Are they on our team...?

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Ummm, I'm not sure what you were watching in the Titan game--Johnson was on the inactive list for that one. Was he wearing an ugly suit on the sidelines, perhaps?

Johnson could be a decent player, but he is miscast in his current role. He is not a run-stuffer--he and Amobi are basically the same player. We need Okam to grow up in a hurry or find a good-run stuffer to anchor the line and let our speed linemen make plays.

There you go....letting facts get in the way of a good hating..:D

Not being a capoligist I have never understood how a player is paid too much to cut. If he can't get the job done hire a minimum wage player to replace him. He wont get it done either but will be a failure at a lower cost.

:coffee:

bah007

Hall of Fame
Okay, did Bobby Grier kick your dog? Smack a female relative? Steal your pot?
I dont know the answer to that question...

But look at our draft record. How many really good players have we drafted?

Not very many. AJ, Winston, Mario, Ryans, Dunta. That's about it.

So that forces us to use the Free Agent market too often. And we all know how that has worked out for us...

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Okay, did Bobby Grier kick your dog? Smack a female relative? Steal your pot?
no, hes the head of pro scouting and the main guy behind our fabled Free Agent pick ups such as Charlie Clemons, Matt Stevens, Jay Foreman, Todd Wade, Stacey Mack, James Allen, Robaire Smith and Jordan Black. I'd rather him kick my dog...my dog can defend himself.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I dont know the answer to that question...

But look at our draft record. How many really good players have we drafted?

Not very many. AJ, Winston, Mario, Ryans, Dunta. That's about it.
He is the head of PRO scouting...I don't think he dabbles in the draft. He is the brain trust behind our esteemed free agent signings since we got this thing going. He is the common thread of mediocrity that runs through both regimes.

TEXANRED

Texan-American
Green, Greenwood, Chris Brown, CC Brown, Chris White cus his last name is a color, TJ, and Weaver.

This is who I would cut at this point.

V3rm0nt3r

Rookie
Green, Greenwood, Chris Brown, CC Brown, Chris White cus his last name is a color, TJ, and Weaver.

This is who I would cut at this point.
I always liked the fact that last year we had a white guy named Black and a black guy named White on the same o-line.

V3rm0nt3r

Rookie
Actually after this season weaver is not to expensive to cut. I am not sure what anyone expects out of Weaver but he is not going to record any sacks or put up numbers when the Defensive Coordinator has him dropping back into coverage and sending a LB (Richards version of the Blitz).

As far as no depth, the depth is better than it was since Kubiak and now Rick Smith got here.

Getting rid of these players and saying they all suck kinda reminds me of how everyone blasted Gaffney and saying how much he sucked (including me). Now in threads I seem him being brought as a huge mistake by letting him go. Of course you can not have it both ways, so I would say Palmer and Capers and YKW were at fault there. So here we are again having a hard time of evaluating talent because of the scheme that is being run.
First of all, SWEET lets cut his ass. when he does rush the passer it's not like Weaver is a menace in the backfield and i think we could get better penetration with somebody else in that spot.

Second, the depth couldn't really get any worse than it was when Capers was here but i was concentrating that statement more on the safety positions where the suggestion is to cut the starter for a rook/2nd year late draft pick.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'm with you expect for Pitts.

I would add Myers at C, Diles at LB, Reeves at CB, and ANYONE playing safety, as the whole bunch of them together don't add up to one decent safety.
Well as far as the young safeties, we don't know b/c they haven't been given the chance & if john joke is/was as good as everyone says, I would like to believe that he could coach them up to at least a CC Brown level....that's not exactly shooting for the moon. He's been here since the beginning & we haven't had that happen yet.

Look at the titans, cortland finnegan is a 7th rounder from Samford & that guy looks like he's on his way to the pro bowl this year.... he wasn't too shabby last year either.

The colts, antoine bethea 6th rounder from Howard starting for the colts. Not exactly Sean Taylor but damn good & a legit starter & playmaker for them.

again you can go through the roster for almost every team in the league & find a guy like this.....except for us. we need 1st round talent everywhere. where's our late round DB that's been coached up into a playmaker Mr. Hoke?

and as far as Pitts, he's played every position on the O-line except for center i believe........he's mediocore at all of them. He's never got to that 1 position where the coaching staff said "we've gotta leave him there b/c he's just too good..." He's had his chances for 7 years & at this point i just don't believe he's a starter in this league either; he's just a damn good reserve. In fact that's about the only plus about him; he can be a swing guy for any position on the line & he's usually healthy. other than that....this is the only thing that keeps him on the team imo which is why i listed him as honorable mention.

Last edited:

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Ahmann Green-Cant stay healthy
Chis Brown
Jacoby Jones
Chester Pitts-is time has run up
Ephraim Salaam
Eric Winston
Earl Cochran
DelJuan Robinson
Morlon Greenwood
C. C. Brown
Demarcus Faggins
Antwaun Molden
Harry Williams-Bless his heart

and dont ask me on who to replace these guys because i dont know hopefully better players from around the league or Free agents and draft picks

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Chis Brown
Jacoby Jones
Ephraim Salaam
Eric Winston
Earl Cochran
DelJuan Robinson
Morlon Greenwood
C. C. Brown
Demarcus Faggins
Antwaun Molden

and dont ask me on who to replace these guys because i dont know hopefully better players from around the league or Free agents and draft picks

why those 2? Winston is solid & Molden hasn't even gotten a chance yet.

P

Polo

Lets see...

I've heard everyone blamed from the owner to the fans so I just say don't watch anymore...

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Look at the titans, cortland finnegan is a 7th rounder from Samford & that guy looks like he's on his way to the pro bowl this year.... he wasn't too shabby last year either.

The colts, antoine bethea 6th rounder from Howard starting for the colts. Not exactly Sean Taylor but damn good & a legit starter & playmaker for them.

again you can go through the roster for almost every team in the league & find a guy like this.....except for us. we need 1st round talent everywhere. where's our late round DB that's been coached up into a playmaker Mr. Hoke?
it helps to have a defensive SYSTEM so your scouts know what sort of players fit into it and your coaches know what techniques to teach their players.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
it helps to have a defensive SYSTEM so your scouts know what sort of players fit into it and your coaches know what techniques to teach their players.
ehh... while true i don't think anything beyond the basic knowledge of what the team runs is neccessary. For instance, dungy scouts know that they're gonna run Tampa 2. well most people already know the type of players you need to run a cover 2 defense. Plus a good player can almost always play well in any system, they just might not be as good in some systems vs. others.

Where our scouts & coaching seem to drop the ball is just finding players who can play on the next level period. i mean come on, we've hit on exactly 7 players past the 2nd round who turned out to be productive for us, & that's only b/c i included Anderson & Diles 2 guys not exactly setting the NFL on fire. That's pathetic. & you could argue that the coaching staff aren't very effective teaching techniques with the way our DB's look trying to find the ball when it's in the air, & the way our team as a whole tackle. It just seems to me we have a bunch of guys playing the scheme instead of playing the ball if you know what i mean.... no instincts.

Last edited:

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
I've seen Reeves mentioned on here. I'm still floored that he was picked up to start. I know I, as a Cowboy fan, had seen enough of him to throw out warnings here. McClain, some media members and obviously the Texans bought in that this guy was a top DB out there even though there were hints...screams...that the guy could be toast. Oh well.. live and don't learn.

TEXANS84

Staff member
Obviously Green will be gone. No sense in stating the obvious.

But Weaver has been an absolute bust ever since he's touched a Texans uniform. I'm done with him.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I've seen Reeves mentioned on here. I'm still floored that he was picked up to start. I know I, as a Cowboy fan, had seen enough of him to throw out warnings here. McClain, some media members and obviously the Texans bought in that this guy was a top DB out there even though there were hints...screams...that the guy could be toast. Oh well.. live and don't learn.
That's because.....Reeves + Dallas = Toast....Reeves + Texans = Top DB :gun:

Seriously, other than Dunta (pre-injury), who is better than Reeves right now? Bennett? No. Molden? No.

They all suck! The whole f-in defense sucks from the DC on down.

DT's = suck

DE-1 = suck

OLB' = suck

S = suck

DC = suck

:gun:

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog

Seriously, other than Dunta (pre-injury), who is better than Reeves right now? Bennett? No. Molden? No.

DT's = suck

DE-1 = suck

OLB' = suck

S = suck

DC = suck

Yeah, I figured that their thought process was he just needed to work as a starter and given more reps. But you are taking your chances with soso guys like that.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

DT's = suck

DE-1 = suck

OLB' = suck

S = suck

DC = suck

very sad indeed that this guy is our best db & he's been getting burned like a matchstick. Bennett has looked shaky as hell & Willie & CC are just......Willie & CC.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
very sad indeed that this guy is our best db & he's been getting burned like a matchstick. Bennett has looked shaky as hell & Willie & CC are just......Willie & CC.
Yup, but hey, at least Reeves has shown he can hang with the WR's. He'll never see the ball unless it gets stuck in his face mask, but he can hang with them.

Faggins is usually 10-20 yards away in his coverage. Fletch was better than him by far IMO.

Bennett bites on play action too much. Other than that I don't know what's going on with him. Hopefully one of these bozo's we have as reporters asks Kubiak today.

Molden is just too raw

Porky

Hall of Fame
Bennett looks a whole lot worse than last year. Why are these young players going backwards? :gun:

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Bennett looks a whole lot worse than last year. Why are these young players going backwards? :gun:
Soph slump...he has a year of tape and tendencies now. I'm pretty sure I told you to expect this...but you only told me, "when pigs fly".

Silver Oak

All Pro
he's just a stop gap until we get someone else. what other scenario could you see if we hadn't picked up Reeves in FA? the 3rd rounder was spent on Slaton and I can't remember which CB's were still there in the draft. FA...I wanted Shepard but the front office wouldn't listen to me.

Reeves is not great, but he's really not one of the the guys whose play wakes me up in the middle of the night mumbling.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
he's just a stop gap until we get someone else. what other scenario could you see if we hadn't picked up Reeves in FA? the 3rd rounder was spent on Slaton and I can't remember which CB's were still there in the draft. FA...I wanted Shepard but the front office wouldn't listen to me.

Reeves is not great, but he's really not one of the the guys whose play wakes me up in the middle of the night mumbling.
I'm not ripping the move as someone you'd bring in to improve a bit but the way it was set up was that some media and people were treating it like they had a top free agent starter because of some moments he had. The reality is that he will be pretty good in certain packages and part of a unit but not a top guy on one side.

Silver Oak

All Pro
I'm not ripping the move as someone you'd bring in to improve a bit but the way it was set up was that some media and people were treating it like they had a top free agent starter because of some moments he had. The reality is that he will be pretty good in certain packages and part of a unit but not a top guy on one side.
I agree. I was hopeful he would be better than Faggins, and I haven't been disappointed, but he ain't better by much.

mussop

Hall of Fame
How many sacks do we have this year?

Soph slump...he has a year of tape and tendencies now. I'm pretty sure I told you to expect this...but you only told me, "when pigs fly".
These tendencies would be exploited alot less with any semblence of a pass rush. We HAVE to get another DE with some speed to compliment Mario. We HAVE to get a 2 gap space eater in the middle to free those 2 up and we HAVE to get at least one OLB that can ocaisonally blitz with some effectiveness.

I dont care what style of D you are trying to run, this defense is built all wrong. Thats why our secondary looks so bad.

If you put Henderson at DT in place of TJ and any decent pass rushing DE and OLB combination in place of Weaver and Greenwood/Diles, Our secondary would be just fine. There is NO CB you put back there with our current front 7 that could perform up to a decent standard. NONE!!!

Ryan

THIS YEAR
Weaver, TJ, Reeves, CC Brown, Chris Brown, Ahman Green, Richard Smith, Andre Davis(has been an odor as a kick returner so far).

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame

Well let's be fair about this...the guy had a free shot at big ben, know what I mean by free there...nothing between him a Big Ben but air....and he was like a deer in the head lights. For someone who is supposed to be the anchor against the run, he gets hooked a lot. So he can't run. Can't hold the edge and hasn't got the wheels anymore to get to the QB. Yeah it's all the demon's schemes. The guy got grace the first two years because he was dinged. But he's stealin' Bob McNairs money now. Greenwood was always a marginal athlete. The word is out now and every OC in the league is looking to get Marlon locked one on one with their speed. That's not going to change until they bench him. Or he retires. This is Marlon's last stand. Texans cut him he's done.

Last edited:

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Chis Brown
Jacoby Jones
Ephraim Salaam
Eric Winston
Earl Cochran
DelJuan Robinson
Morlon Greenwood
C. C. Brown
Demarcus Faggins
Antwaun Molden

Well throw enough darts and all. Winston is the best Rt for my money in the league today...Don't know what you're watching there big guy. Salaam is doing what he was supposed to do when he first got here...be the swing tackle. After putting it on the line for us for two seasons...if Kubiak is still here Salaam isn't going anywhere. Pitts was absolutely horrible last year. He's lost the weight and dealin' some misery on the second level this year.

Jacoby Jones has had a sold three games. Time for Kubes to take him out of the dog house and feed the puppy with some plays and touches.

You replace them with draft choices and free agents. Now just using Molden and Adibi as a barameter...
going to be three or four games before you see the # 2, #3 draft pick on the field. Unless Taylor stops the fumbling...they have to draft a complimentary RB for Salton, A Will linebacker to replace Greenwood and a competent DE to run Weaver out of town. They hit two starters with the first three picks, that would be a very good draft.

Last edited:
no, hes the head of pro scouting and the main guy behind our fabled Free Agent pick ups such as Charlie Clemons, Matt Stevens, Jay Foreman, Todd Wade, Stacey Mack, James Allen, Robaire Smith and Jordan Black. I'd rather him kick my dog...my dog can defend himself.
O.K as long as he didn't steal your pot. lol

BattleRedToro

Thread Killer
Pitts was absolutely horrible last year. He's lost the weight and dealin' some misery on the second level this year.
I haven't seen much of that, but I have seen him get pushed backwards by DT's on run plays a few times too many for my liking.

I think another poster put it best. He is a quality backup, capable of playing multiple positions on the O-Line.

Maybe next year he will be replaced as a starter by a better LG and fulfill the role of a backup OL.