• Beating the Cowboys America's team and our State Rival

Votes: 17 20.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't wanna hear anymore "Aww shucks. Let another get away. How disappointing."

Losing to the Colts is unacceptable in 2010. Blowing a team out in the
first half, and ultimately losing the game should stir anger, not "Darn.
We'll get 'em next time."
:pissed:
"Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can, and
the wisdom to know the difference."

-- Saint Francis of Assisi
My glasses are about as ROSEY as they come. Even I get upset, as I'm sure every Texans fan does, anytime we lose a winnable game (which there were 7 of last season).

It's understandable, when our fans come to this board, and share that anger, express their ideas, even demand Kubiak's head/job on a platter. Whatever.

I just don't let it eat me up.

If the first prayer doesn't work for you, you can always try the words of the illustrious Frank Costanza
SERENITY NOW!!!! ! !!! SERENITY NOW!!!! ! !!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They are only nice to us because we aren't perceived as a threat. If we could ever start consistently beating them you will see how they really feel. I would love a team that we were 15-1 (or whatever) against too.
Colts fans are pretty cool. They're even cool to the Patriots, who they probably view as peers.

Getting our butts kicked by the Colts the last 8 years, is probably the best thing this team has had happen to them.

Sooner or later, we'll be beating them on a regular basis, or at least we'll get to the point that they know their chances are 50/50. I only hope it happens before they fall. I want to beat the King, while he is still the King. I know the Pats have won more Super Bowls, but I've never thought they were as good, fundamentally, as the Colts. The Patriots beat you with scheme. The Colts beat you with badassery. You know what they are going to do every game, and you just can't stop them.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Beating the Colts is the most important because it is the first game. After 9/12- Beating the Redskins will be the most important. Then beating the cowboys will be the most important.

Get my point? One game at a time. And beating that weeks opponent will be the most important of all.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My frustration is the fact we've been dealing with "theoretical", "hypothetical"
"anecdotal" notions of this team growing up and becoming a REAL
NFL contender for YEARS. I'll continue to watch every game, and I'll be the first
to admit they embarrassed my ass at work after the Week One debacle last year.

Being an admitted Texans fan has been HARD. When will we be able
to talk up this team without getting outright HUMILIATED? Will
it be 2010? One can only hope.
#1) Numero Uno, make sure you get this right.

I am not humiliated in the slightest about this team, or our record, or any game we've played (especially in the last 4 years). Not now, not ever.

#2) I used to enjoy your post, before you switched to the dark-side. They were pertinent, relevant, and revealed football knowledge. You have undoubtedly uncovered some important stats and information, before anyone else was talking about them.

I know you know football, and there is no way you can watch this team (I think) and not recognize the improvements this team has been making. We had a coach before, when you didn't see that. You couldn't, it wasn't there. WE had to fabricate things to feel good about.

Again, I know you've critiqued Kubiak on valid areas of weakness, but the improvement on the team is also because of him. It would have been nice, to have the one without the other, but those aren't the cards we were dealt.

Young coach, young team, young owner, young team & owner who didn't know how to do anything but lose.

My point, surely you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

imatexan

All Pro
COWBOYS!

It's football and Texas vs Texas during the regular season with both teams expected to make the playoffs...just look at the ticket prices!

drs23

Veteran
COWBOYS!

It's football and Texas vs Texas during the regular season with both teams expected to make the playoffs...just look at the ticket prices!
I did. What a spread! $64 to 1291. Per seat w/PP. Do ya need hi X binos for a 64 buck seat?

Last edited:

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I understand your mathematical resignation to going 0-2 annually
against the Colts. I even understand your what you're saying about
getting swept against all THREE divisional rivals. All those teams,
including the Colts, would have to go 9-7. The Texans would have
to SWEEP the NFC East, AFC West, AND beat the Ravens and Jets.
Possible, but HIGHLY unlikely.

My frustration is the fact we've been dealing with "theoretical", "hypothetical"
"anecdotal" notions of this team growing up and becoming a REAL
NFL contender for YEARS. I'll continue to watch every game, and I'll be the first
to admit they embarrassed my ass at work after the Week One debacle last year.

Being an admitted Texans fan has been HARD. When will we be able
to talk up this team without getting outright HUMILIATED? Will
it be 2010? One can only hope.
The point is that losing isn't easy for any of us. You say that you don't want us to say "Well, we'll get 'em the next time" because you consider that being resigned to losing. You don't think that it breaks my freaking heart every time we lose? You don't think that I drop into a deep depression with each loss? That doesn't matter. I've got to keep fighting. I've got to keep on cheering my team.

Because there's nothing else I can do.

So, tell me, what is it you think I'm supposed to say besides "Well, we'll get them next time." "Well, that sucked." I've said that. "<stream of curse words and fists slammed against walls>"? I've said and done that.

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The point is that losing isn't easy for any of us. You say that you don't want us to say "Well, we'll get 'em the next time" because you consider that being resigned to losing. You don't think that it breaks my freaking heart every time we lose? You don't think that I drop into a deep depression with each loss? That doesn't matter. I've got to keep fighting. I've got to keep on cheering my team.

Because there's nothing else I can do.

So, tell me, what is it you think I'm supposed to say besides "Well, we'll get them next time." "Well, that sucked." I've said that. "<stream of curse words and fists slammed against walls>"? I've said and done that.
Outstanding post! I agree whole heartedly with this. We are fans!

C Madd

Waterboy
Great post, TPN. I actually screamed and flopped on the floor when Brown missed the field goal after Schaub led the team back down the field from the 15 with no time outs. A grown man and here I was acting like a 5-year-old.

But, as TPN says, what else am I supposed to do besides get back up and say "We'll get them next time!" Saying that doesn't mean that I am, or other fans are, writing off the Colts as 2 losses every year. It means that we are hopeful that the Texans will eventually find a way to beat the Colts. We say it because getting angry isn't going to change the outcome and because we like to stay optimistic. We say it because we believe it to be true and its something I will say after every loss to the Colts.

2slik4u

Veteran
This isnt the most popular opinion but the question said "which win is more important to YOU.?"

My answer is the cowboys. I say this because weve played the colts 16 times and lost 15. We will continue to play them twice every year for the rest of our existence (probably). We have played the cowboys once and beat them. We only play them once every eight years (or is it four?). Not to mention that damn near EVERY one of my friends are friggin cowboy fans. We have always been second fiddle to the boys and Im tired of it. The first time we beat them, you could argue luck. Luck in the fact that we got lucky by winning with David Carr and lucky that they werent near as good that year as they normally are. This year is the highest "rated" Texans team in history. On the other hand, the cowboys are picked by many to go to the super bowl. Im not saying that the Colts game isnt important but if we split the series with them all of us would be fairly happy. Imagine if we beat the boys and we can now hold the distinction of being 2-0 against them for the next eight years.

I would be a happy guy. Sorry for the lengthy response but I figured an explanation was due here since I am obviously part of the minority here.

:fans:

WWJD

Hall of Fame
This isnt the most popular opinion but the question said "which win is more important to YOU.?"

My answer is the cowboys. I say this because weve played the colts 16 times and lost 15. We will continue to play them twice every year for the rest of our existence (probably). We have played the cowboys once and beat them. We only play them once every eight years (or is it four?). Not to mention that damn near EVERY one of my friends are friggin cowboy fans. We have always been second fiddle to the boys and Im tired of it. The first time we beat them, you could argue luck. Luck in the fact that we got lucky by winning with David Carr and lucky that they werent near as good that year as they normally are. This year is the highest "rated" Texans team in history. On the other hand, the cowboys are picked by many to go to the super bowl. Im not saying that the Colts game isnt important but if we split the series with them all of us would be fairly happy. Imagine if we beat the boys and we can now hold the distinction of being 2-0 against them for the next eight years.

I would be a happy guy. Sorry for the lengthy response but I figured an explanation was due here since I am obviously part of the minority here.

The Texans/Cowboys have played twice in the regular season. The Texans won at Reliant; the Cowboys won at Texas Stadium.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

My answer is the cowboys.

Imagine if we beat the boys and we can now hold the distinction of being 2-0 against them for the next eight years.

We played them in Dallas 4 years ago. 4 years before that, we beat them here in Houston.

It would be 2-1 against the Cowboys for the next 4 years.

In an earlier post, I mentioned it would be eight years, of not beating them, but that is because they won the last time.

Other than that, I like your answer.

2slik4u

Veteran
The Texans/Cowboys have played twice in the regular season. The Texans won at Reliant; the Cowboys won at Texas Stadium.
So its every four years then. That makes it even more important ----> the all important rubber match.

WWJD

Hall of Fame
So its every four years then. That makes it even more important ----> the all important rubber match.
Well I'm a Cowboys fan so I'd rather they win division games..both teams BTW so I'd have to say it's more important to beat the Colts but....

you should check out johnnyroadtrip.com

they have schedules for all teams thru the 2017 year..it's interesting to go there and see what divisions play each other.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
OK, so here's the deal. Important to ME? To me it's the Cowboys. I hate the Cowturds.

Now, more important for the Texans, it's the Colts, and it will always be the Colts.

I know the difference here, I'm just saying..........
...but that is a very important distinction.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
I feel ya'll TK and Pencil Neck.

I'm sure you didn't tell people how great the Texans were gonna
be on Week One, how they'd BETTER watch the game, how
CBS put it as it's #1 GAME OF THE WEEK.

Then....(I laugh here to keep my cool)...

This team you told EVERYONE to watch puts in THAT performance.
That's really the crux of my rants.

Don't worry guys. If this team is the one Bernard Pollard is describing,
I'll be right here posting my custom GIF's on enemy messageboards
and cheering like everyone else.

I just don't need to see the Week One Debacle again.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
We played them in Dallas 4 years ago. 4 years before that, we beat them here in Houston.

It would be 2-1 against the Cowboys for the next 4 years.

In an earlier post, I mentioned it would be eight years, of not beating them, but that is because they won the last time.

Other than that, I like your answer.
Right, TO went off and it was 34-6 Dallas in 2006. 4 years earlier was he 19-10 game.

Being a Cowboy fan I'd rather they beat the Colts. I also think beating division rivals earns playoff games. It should be first and foremost.

Last edited:

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I feel ya'll TK and Pencil Neck.

I'm sure you didn't tell people how great the Texans were gonna
be on Week One, how they'd BETTER watch the game, how
CBS put it as it's #1 GAME OF THE WEEK.

Then....(I laugh here to keep my cool)...

This team you told EVERYONE to watch puts in THAT performance.
That's really the crux of my rants.

Don't worry guys. If this team is the one Bernard Pollard is describing,
I'll be right here posting my custom GIF's on enemy messageboards
and cheering like everyone else.

I just don't need to see the Week One Debacle again.
Why are you sure that I didn't do that? I was telling everybody that we were going to dominate the Jets last year. Rookie coach, rookie QB, I was talking smack to all my friends around the country.

And then... pfffft.

I'm in a league with two Raiders, a Charger, a Jaguar, a Redskin, a Viking, and a few non-committeds. My only consolation was that at least I sounded less delusional than the Raiders. And of course, I live in Cowboy-land surrounded by Cowboy fans and after that game, I was walking around in Texans gear getting nothing but "Dude, your team sucks, why don't you switch to a real team."

You're not the only one who felt pain when we got pantsed by the Jets.

The only consolation I had when we got pantsed by the Steelers two years ago was that at least I was in Italy with food poisoning so sick that the whole thing was just one painful blur.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm telling everyone we're going to win the Super Bowl.

I told all my friends, & everyone I know even remotely interested in football, they should buy their season tickets now, because once this train gets rolling, it isn't going to stop, for a long, long time. You may not be able to buy season tickets, after this year.

I got mine, 50 yard line, in GridIron country.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'm telling everyone we're going to win the Super Bowl.

I told all my friends, & everyone I know even remotely interested in football, they should buy their season tickets now, because once this train gets rolling, it isn't going to stop, for a long, long time. You may not be able to buy season tickets, after this year.

I got mine, 50 yard line, in GridIron country.
I envy you bro!

Colts, because we need to start winning in the division and you have to beat the best to be in the playoffs.

Besides, win that one and we could always get a rematch against the Cowboys in February.

Grams

Veteran
It's both.

The Colts have owned us in the past. The last couple of years, we have gotten closer to beating them. An opening day win against the Colts would do wonders for the fans and the season.

If we were in another state, we would care less about the Cowgirls. but there are way too many Dallas fans in Houston for my liking. I see way too many Dallas stickers on cars and trucks. Have to many of their obnoxious, arrogant fans that we have to listen to every year. Would really be nice to shut them down for a while.

We seem to finish each year strong, this is the year we need to start strong.If we are going to be a playoff team, these are the teams we have to beat. Both games are in our house. We need to win both.

:texflag:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's both.

If we were in another state, we would care less about the Cowgirls. but there are way too many Dallas fans in Houston for my liking. I see way too many Dallas stickers on cars and trucks.
:texflag:
Do you think beating the Cowboys would change that?

I think if we can become a consistent winner, add a couple of Super Bowls to our resume, fans will switch.

Kinda like you never saw a Patriots fan, until they started winning Super Bowls (tuck rule or no).