Which QB do you take at 1-1, 2-1, or later (if at all)

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Hervoyel, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

OK, so with Matt Schaub in Oakland and Fitzpatrick having moved into Matt's locker on Kirby we pretty much can't imagine not taking a QB in this draft. Assuming that we don't get to trade down and that we're looking at picking at the top of each round then who do you take if the QB is picked first overall, 33rd overall, or "later".

1-1: It's safe to say that if we take one at 1-1 it will be one of Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel.

I'd prefer Blake Bortles in that scenario.

2-1: If we take Clowney in the first round it's also probably likely that Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel are gone by the time we pick.

If we draft a QB at 2-1 I take Zach Mettenberger

3-1 or later.... I don't know. I'd assume that if there was a guy still on the board at this point that we'd like then he'd probably be one of the QB's expected to go in the 2nd round who fell. That might work if either Mettenberger or Garoppolo fell down here. I don't know if I'd even bother with anyone else at this point though a 2014 campaign with Fitzpatrick doesn't really do much for me.

Anyone else?

2. markn

markn All Pro

I think it's nailed on we're taking Bortles at 1.1

I'd take Bridgewater, but I'm certain BOB wants Bortles.

3. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I'm still in the Robinson or Clowney camp for 1.1. Just couldn't pull the trigger on one of the big three QB's. There are several QB's I would be happy with. I feel like I would rather build the trenches and strengthen the team this year while trying to develop a later round guy this year. Take our lumps like we will no matter what and see if OB can coach up a less touted but solid prospect. If it doesn't work out we are going to have a high pick next year to go after a top prospect with less question marks than these three and that QB will have a better overall team to lesson the burden.

steelbtexan likes this.
  4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I guess I didn't explain it well. I'm saying assume you have no control (like the way we all really have no control) and the Texans take a QB at 1-1 (which we all expect them to do). Who do you want it to be?

Then say they plan on grabbing one at 2-1 and not 1-1, which one do you hope they take there?

If no QB is taken in the first two rounds then is there a guy you would take later?

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

1-1 Bortles- Because that's what I think BOB's going to do.
    2-1 Garappolo- Tomy Romo
    3-1 Savage/Brett Smith/Murray

I think the value at QB isn't 1-1 this yr.

6. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

@ 1-1: I would take either Bridgewater or Bortles. I wouldn't even contemplate taking Manziel.

@ 2-1: I would consider Garoppolo, Carr or Mettenberger. If Houston passes on a QB at 1-1, Garoppolo would be my #1 guy in round 2. He put up cartoonish numbers his senior season throwing for 5050 yards and 53 TD's.

@ 3-1 or later: I would be disappointed if Houston waited this long to address the QB situation, but I would be okay with A.J. McCarron, Aaron Murray or David Fales here.

@ 5-1 or later: These would just be projects that I wouldn't even consider starting right away, but I wouldn't mind the Texans drafting Logan Thomas, Brett Smith or Tom Savage..

7. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

1:1 - Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel
    2:1 - Zach Mettenberger, Jimmy Garoppolo
    3:1 - Derek Carr, AJ McCarron
    4:1 - Aaron Murray
    5:1 -
    6:1 - David Fales, Tajh Boyd, Brett Smith, Tom Savage
    7:1 - Logan Thomas

8. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

"I've never really thought Bridgewater was on the same level of consideration by the Texans as Bortles and Manziel..." -- John McClain on SiriusXM.

:truck:

9. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Blake Bortles, QB, UCF, 6050 232 - 1st - solid work ethic, willing to face any challenge.

Tom Savage, QB, Pitt, 6037 228 - 5th - taking Blake in 1st allows Texans to get fair value for 2nd QB option.

10. markn

markn All Pro

Thanks, got it now :-)

1. Bridgewater
    2. Mettenberg
    Don't really know any well enough beyond that

11. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

1-1: I'm Bridgewater, Bortles, then Manziel.

2-1: I'm Carr, Garoppolo (although I prefer Garoppolo in the 3rd).

3-1: I'm Mettenberger.

4-1: I'm McCarron, Boyd.

5-1: I'm Murray.

7-1: I'm Logan Thomas, Brett Smith, or Savage or whatever.

And of course, I'm open to taking any QB I listed AFTER the point I listed him.

12. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

yup

13. markn

markn All Pro

zero[*zeer-oh ]noun [plural ze·ros, ze·roes.]

1. the percentage chance that the Houston Texans will select Manziel with the first pick of the 2014 draft.

2. the number of times John McClain has been right about anything ever.

14. Marshall

Marshall Not pretty, but ALIVE!

Presuming they screw up and take QB 1-1, I'd say Teddy Bridgewater because intelligence overcomes many physical challenges.

If they wait for 2-1, then I'd actually like to see Carr, though I know that would be an unpopular answer.

My preference is to wait for Garoppola at 3-1.

15. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Good list! Put Savage in the 6th and Take Carr off the list and you have my list.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If we take one of the three with 1-1... I really don't have a preference. They've all got their strengths... weaknesses, pros & cons.

2-1, I prefer McCarron (if there were chatter about someone taking him in the first, I'd use 1-1 to take him). If his knee checks out, I wouldn't mind Murray.

Fales & Mettenberger used to be on my list here as well, but I've soured on them recently. I don't think Mettenberger understands ball placement as well as he should & his receivers impress me more & more every time I watch Mettenberger. Fales... I thought he was really smart, I thought he was very poised, & I liked his ability to think on the fly. Now... I don't know. I wouldn't mind getting Fales or Mett here, but I'm not targeting them. ​

3-1, if we hadn't taken a QB by now, of course I want McCarron or Murray if they're still there, but I don't want to take a chance that they might be. Garoppolo. If he's here. Like Mett & Fales, if we take Garoppolo in the second, I don't have a problem with that. But I wouldn't take him over McCarron or Murray.

4-1, if we hadn't taken a QB by now of course I'd be thrilled to get anyone I already mentioned. If they're all gone, I'm kinda mad. Tom Savage I suppose. Connor Shaw. Tajh Boyd. Jeff Matthews.

5th,

6th, Logan Thomas or Bryn Renner.

17. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

If there is no clear cut 1 at QB then why even waste a pick on that position this year? This team is swiss cheese and it would probably be better to build up the other positions where the talent level is higher and just shoot for a QB next year. I'm already preparing for another misery ridden season, but as a Texan fan I'm used to those.

Winston, Mariota, kid from UCLA, Petty etc, etc, etc, ... just start to have their own allure considering all the questions regarding this years class.

18. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

If Uncle Rico declared for the draft we wouldn't have the uncertainty that we apparently have with the #1 overall pick. Uncle Rico definitely has the arm for sure and the team definitely would've won state if he had started.

Seriously though, I also get the feeling that at this point the Texans are leaning towards Bortles. He had a good pro day or at least a better one than Bridgewater, but ultimately they have to make their decision based on game film. I'm on the draft the best QB bandwagon, but I'm not attached to any of these guys. So it wouldn't shock me at all if the Texans ended up drafting Manziel.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'm with you, but I would like to hedge my bets with Smith/Jimmy G/Savage/Murray/McCarron in the 3rd/4th rd range.

20. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Bortles is going to cost some GM his job. I'm not completely against Manziel, he would inject a lot of enthusiasm into the team, marketing wise it would be a home run. But he's 5'11. I know height is a fickle argument against the guy, but me personally I couldnt pull the trigger, maybe the Texans do, which again wouldnt make me pull my hair out.