Which off-season moves would you like the Texans to make? (Roster/FA)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by tomjn80, Jan 15, 2018.

1. tomjn80

tomjn80 Rookie

With a big off-season ahead of the Texans, along with money to spend - I would like to get everyone's opinion on what they would like the team to do regarding the roster and free agency.

Projected Salary Cap Space: $56,665,767
    https://overthecap.com/calculator/houston-texans/

2. bOODRO87

bOODRO87 Time Consumer

Cameron Fleming would be awesome but I don't know his market price. He'd probably be totally worth it since Watson is the Houston Texans. We need all the help we can get.

3. tomjn80

tomjn80 Rookie

Player Cuts
    Brian Cushing, ILB - Cap Savings of $7,640,625
    Jeff Allen, OG - Cap Savings of $4,875,000

Extension
    Jadeveon Clowney, DE/OLB
    Benardrick McKinney, LB

Own Free Agent Players to Re-sign
    Johnathan Joseph, CB
    Marcus Gilchrist, SS
    Marcus Williams, CB
    Shane Lechler, P
    Bruce Ellington, WR
    Greg Mancz, C
    Eddie Pleasant, SS
    Andre Ellington, RB

I think we can get most of our own free agents on the cheap. These are guys I would like us to resign at the right price.

List of Potential Free Agents to Target (*my top players to go after)

Offensive Line

Andrew Norwell, G, Carolina Panthers*
    - One of the top guards in the NFL. He has improved every single season in the league, and he's now dominant in every regard. Norwell should continue to get better, as he won't even turn 27 until October.(waterfootball.com)

Justin Pugh, G, New York Giants*
    - One of the best guards in the NFL, but had to play out of his position at right tackle this year. He's a mediocre right tackle, but he needs to start in the interior to be most effective. (waterfootball.com)

Nate Solder, OT, New England Patriots
    Cameron Fleming, OT, New England Patriots
    Ja'Wuan James, OT, Miami Dolphins

Defensive Line
    Julius Peppers, DE, Carolina Panthers
    Adrian Clayborn, DE, Atlanta Falcons

Secondary
    Tre Boston, FS, Los Angeles Chargers

Lamarcus Joyner, FS, Los Angeles Rams*
    - A second-round pick in 2014, has improved each season in the NFL. He has evolved into one of the elite safeties in the NFL, and at just 27, he has at least five more terrific years remaining in his career. (waterfootball.com)

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams
    E.J. Gaines, CB, Buffalo Bills*
    - Terrific for the Bills as a Pro Bowl-caliber cover corner this past season. He'd be rated much higher than this if it weren't for his poor durability; he's missed 26 games in the past three seasons, including five in 2017. (waterfootball.com)

Malcolm Butler, CB, New England Patriots
    Kenny Vaccaro, S/CB, New Orleans Saints
    Patrick Robinson, CB, Philadelphia Eagles
    Eric Reid, S, 49ers*
    -Missed 12 games in the past two seasons, but he's too talented not to grade highly. Reid misses tackles, but happens to be excellent in coverage. He's only 26, so there's still lots of room for improvement. (waterfootball.com)

Tight Ends
    Jimmy Graham, TE, Seattle Seahawks
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, New York Jets*
    - A second-round pick in 2014, had been a disappointment prior to this season, but he finally came alive and was dominant in some games. He'll only be 26 in late September, so he has plenty of upside. However, he comes with some character and effort concerns. (waterfootball.com)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

We may be able to get 1 of those NE lineman, (Fleming) but not both. Slide Mancz over to play his natural position of guard....Get Pugh to play the other guard spot & let Suafilo go. See what Davenport has for us at the LT spot & draft another tackle for development with 1 of the 3rds just in case Davenport stinks it up.

I'd like to see us snag Jimmy Graham. The problem with him in Seattle is that they ask him to block too much & that's not his thing. We bring him here & use him like he was used in NO...flex him out more to create mismatches & take at least 1 guy out of the box for the run game.

As far as the secondary, I prefer we go after Reid (SF) but I don't think that's gonna happen due to his stance on the national anthem..So I'd consider Vaccaro. He's a texas kid & probably would be ok with coming a little closer to home..snag EJ Gaines to play CB & move Kareem to FS.

macho grande likes this.
  5. tomjn80

tomjn80 Rookie

6. Mangler

Mangler All Pro

I’d cut Cushing, Jeff Allen, Savage, Joseph, D. Newton, and Suafilo.

Seegara likes this.
  7. tomjn80

tomjn80 Rookie

Joseph, Savage, & XSF are all free agents. I don't think it's worth cutting Newton. You are only saving $2,000,000 pre-June 1. Cutting Cushing and Allen is a must.

edwardc5637 and macho grande like this.
  8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Fix the o-line. I don't care how it's done.

9. tomjn80

tomjn80 Rookie

100% - Look at what the Vikings did last off-season with their offensive line.

10. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

Joe Thomas is entering the final year on his massive contract. Any chance the Cleveland Browns would trade him to us? Perhaps toss them a mid-round pick this year (let's say a 4th - they already own our 1st and 2nd) and a 3rd and 4th next year in 2019?

At 33 years old with 11 years of wear and tear on the body, with injuries finally causing him to miss games last year, got to figure he wouldn't be worth a first-round pick, which the Browns tried to get from Denver a couple years ago. I'd be hesitant to toss the Browns a future 1st or 2nd, anyways, for him. If he were a few years younger then maybe.

11. tomjn80

tomjn80 Rookie

Honestly, I actually thought of this same situation about trading for Joe Thomas.

12. bOODRO87

bOODRO87 Time Consumer

Never trust a man who chooses to stay in Cleveland.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would sign Butler/James in FA. Is Cordy Glenna FA and how healthy is he? I would bring JoJo back but he would have to take a paycut to about 3 mil.

Another guy I like is Colt Anderson as a FA safety. He broke his arm last yr, but made it back for the playoffs. He's a solid safety and great on ST's. I would also sign Taiwan Jones who's one of the best ST's guys in the NFL.

Then trade up to get your LT and draft a CB in the 3rd (Holton Hill is a 1st rd talent, bring him home) and move KJax to safety.

14. tomjn80

tomjn80 Rookie

Glenn is in the last year of his contract and may be a possible cap causality.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I know he has had ankle issues, but if healthy I would sign Glen/James and Butler if there was enough cap space and call it a day. Unless I could add ST's guys like Anderson/Jones with left over cap space.

What would you do?

16. tomjn80

tomjn80 Rookie

I'm a big fan of Andrew Norwell. Dude is nasty. We need 3 solid offensive linemen in the offseason I think its really going to depend on how healthy they think Newton is. Also, Justin Pugh has played RT at times even though hes a better guard. He could spare time at RT if needed.

I think Greg Robinson might be worth taking a chance on at LT if the price is right. Nate Solder is another possibility at LT.

steelbtexan likes this.
  17. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Upgrading the Oline and Secondary is mandatory. They have too many holes to fix everything in one off season with no 1st and 2nd round picks.

steelbtexan likes this.
  18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep,

If they can hit on 3 draft picks (they're going to have to change the ways they acquire players) and 2 major FA signings then that will be a successful offseason. Is this unrealistic? Probably, but it can be done.

Fixing things you know you can fix, (ST's) with late rd draft picks/cheap FA signings is where I would start improving the team.

JB likes this.
  19. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

They need to draft starters in the 3-5th rounds. That seems to be foreign to this organization, but thats what saves you cap money when you find starters in those mid rounds.

Flyingfish and steelbtexan like this.
  20. tomjn80

tomjn80 Rookie

Compensatory picks will help.

Overthecap.com projects:
    A.J. Bouye 3rd
    John Simon 6th
    Quintin Demps 6th
    Don Jones 7th
    Oday Aboushi 7th

I think you can trade compensatory picks now, but I'm not sure.

Also, we have a 2018 3rd pick from Seattle for the Duane Brown trade. We gave Seattle our 2018 5th round pick.

So if all this goes according to plan:

3rd
    3rd (via Seattle)
    3rd (Compensatory)
    4th
    6th
    6th (Compensatory)
    6th (Compensatory)
    7th
    7th (Compensatory)
    7th (Compensatory)

We will have some ammo. to move into the 2nd round.
    If using the trade chart:
    3rd round pick #68 overall = 250 points
    3rd round picl #80 overall (via Seattle) = 190 points
    250 + 190 = 440 = 2nd round #46 overall (Cincinnati)

steelbtexan likes this.