Where's the MARIO welcome?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Meloy, May 24, 2006.

1. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Number 1 pick, huge signing bonus, best defensive player,compared to legends and no parade? No party? What the he*#%# is going on here? Ok, so no Reggie and no VY.. it ain't Mario's fault! Texas and H'town have always tried to do the right thing. I am a mite embarassed over the lack of love shown this new resident. Hey MARIO, I'm glad you are one of us.

2. Bamaborn-Texasbred

Bamaborn-Texasbred All Pro

He can have dinner on me in Galveston any time he wants.

3. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

The love will come once he lives up to his potential. Right now people aren't sure of what he can be. And a lot of people still haven't forgotten who we passed up Mario Williams for. I'm not anti-Mario, but I'm going to wait and see before I jump on his bandwagon.

4. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Agreed, but I was hoping he could pick up the tab. I mean, if I score 54M, we'd have a party at my place too.

Either way I've said it a bunch already on here, but glad we made the unglamorous choice and went with an all-world defensive talent.

And ... as much as Chuck Cass' "signability" was a smokescreen at the time he said it, I am glad we have already signed him and aren't dealing with all of the off-field BS, *cough* Reggie *cough*.

Welcome, Mario.

5. Bearfan Blue and Orange

Bearfan Blue and Orange Veteran

That is CRUP... Because had they gotten VY or "my hammie" Bush there would have been a huge welcoming. Neither of those two have lived up to their potential.

This is not directed directly towards you, but that is so hypocritical!!! Bush tweaked his hammie STRETCHING out getting ready for practice. What is up with that. And VY is going to be sitting and "learning" hoping they have another Steve McNair project that will pan out.

MARIO WELCOME AND SMACK SOME HEADS!!! YOU ARE THE #1 PICK IN THE 2006 NFL DRAFT!!! and well deserving

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

It's May, nobody is going to throw football parades for Mario based on closed to the public practices and a few clips on ht.com.

I see a huge welcome here...all I do is look around at how much crazy Super Mario nintendo imagery has engulfed this place and how many people have him in their ava-sigs. There is a ton of love for Mario...Am I the only one who sees this?

7. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

He has plenty of Love from me, he is good.

8. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

Maybe we all need to have a pringles & bottled water party for our Super Mario!:) :hides: :mario:

9. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

What you say is true. If we had picked VY or Bush they would've become instant idols in the eyes of many in Houston. I was on the Bush bandwagon and obviously I was very dissapointed that we didn't pick him. You say it is "crap" that many people are not "welcoming" Mario Williams to Houston more openely or something. None of these guys have played a down of NFL football so the only thing we can go by is their college performances and potential the scouts and sports writers talk about. So I don't know how you can say that MW is deserving of the no.1 pick when he hasn't played a down of NFL football. All I'm saying is that Mario Williams will have to earn peoples love and admiration here in Houston. It's not fair but then again life isn't fair. So until then I will hope and pray that Williams is everthying this FO has said he can be, but until then we'll just have to wait and see.:twocents:

10. Bamaborn-Texasbred

Bamaborn-Texasbred All Pro

Thanks for the edit.

11. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

All true Vinny, but I THINK he was talking about the Houston folks in general. If VY and likely RB were the pick, there would have been celebrations and parties in their honors. Haven't seen ANY of that for Mario and I think that is what he was getting at.

12. Tex Trenches

Tex Trenches Veteran

I feel the Texans definitely made the right choice in selecting Mario #1. We all know, except for maybe Mr. Hodge, what a good defense can do for your football team. Here's to Mario Williams becoming the greatest defensive end ever!

Welcome to Houston Mr. Williams!!

Go Texans!!

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

All of us saw those guys play many times on TV and most of us never saw Mario play. Most of us didn't see David Carr or Dunta Robinson much in College either but I don't think I see any less support for Williams as I did those other first round guys. Some questioned the Carr over Peppers strategy, some fans never wanted Dunta Robinson before the draft because they never really ever saw him play. I bet if Mario Williams was from Houston we would all be in the streets having a good time.

Exascor likes this.
  14. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

...and when you start talking about any fan group "in general" you start to pull in the fringe element that is more influenced by buzz factor. Of the first three picks, Mario had far less buzz about him and almost zero visibility to the masses, hence the lack of parades down Kirby. That combined with attitudes about who wasn't drafted, results in what we have today. But I think overall, the die hards here and around town know what we have with #90 and we're pretty happy with it.

Exascor likes this.
  15. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

16. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I wonder if Mario visits our boards :hmmm: If he doesn't he should :lightbulb: :yahoo: I think he knows that all of us Texans fans are all excited to see him play for us this year and we could care less what the media says. Good luck this year Mario and we're very excited to see you here and not in a different team's training camp. texanpride

17. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

NOPE!!!:love: :mario:

18. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

I'll just rehash what others have said. Mario wasn't even on most of our radars until a few weeks before the draft so we don't really know who he is yet. Many of us that were pulling for Young or Bush have accepted Williams, are glad he's a Texan and happy we took him over the other 2 players. Some less avid football fans (or diehard Young/Bush fans) might still be upset that we didn't take the "hometown boy" or the "best player in the past decade". If we win and Mario is a beast, they'll accept Mario just fine.

There seems to me like there's more Mario avatars than any other player right now. There are many references about Mario in signatures as well. I'd say that Mario has been welcomed by the fanbase.

19. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

There was also an official welcome mario avatar, that I had for a while before switching to next weeks gas prices..

20. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

his "welcome" is located between a few things
    [​IMG]

Mario's "welcome"

[​IMG]

he has a lot to prove, and rightfully so