Where Were You 10 Years Ago?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by swisher, Oct 5, 2009.

1. swisher

swisher Old School

On October 6, 1999 the NFL awarded the Texans to Houston.

Where were you when you heard the news?

I was driving to work that morning when the news became official, listening to 610 with John and Lance just as I was driving into downtown. John Granato broke the news and said something to effect of if your in your car start honking your horn, we have NFL football again. I started honking like crazy. I got alot of looks from the cars around me. Needless to say, I didn't get much done at work that day.

Vinny and Texans_Chick like this.
  2. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Was in pittsburgh at the time working, ultimately I never thought I would be back in Houston and was still made that my oilers were in TN. So I was glad that Houston had football again but didn't feel the same.

Now I'm back in Houston, and wish I would have at last bought some PSL's..

3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Man 10 years sure went by fast didn't it?

Anyways, unfortunetly I was up in Dallas.........but I came back as soon as I could.

4. Dan B.

Dan B. Hall of Fame

I was getting ready for college and honestly didn't get all that excited when we got the Texans. I followed the stories and the expansion draft. They were my NFL team, if I could be said to have one. But after the Oilers were taken away I really gave up on the NFL. It took me years to really invest myself in any team. I just played fantasy football, watched more baseball (which I always loved anyway --- Minute Maid was a blast to see in person as well) and followed my college team. The Horns are never moving, after all. And I wasn't all that giddy when they charged the city a billion dollars for the privilege of buying tickets and being held ransom again.

It probably took me 4-5 years to really care about the Texans. I was living in Austin during the Capers era and probably watched 4-5 games a year from first snap to last -- basically when they were on TV and I hadn't gone to a sports bar to watch all the games at once. I didn't record the games or watch them with a critical eye. I was very excited about Kubiak, but like just about everyone else wasn't happy at all with the Mario pick. I wasn't going to stop liking him over one draft though. I was willing to give him a chance to build a team. I also am not nearly as disgusted with McNair as I was with Adams. I don't think he's perfect, but he's not a mercenary. He's at least loyal.

Living in Houston again these days, I'm probably more of a Texans fan than Longhorns. I go to one or two games a year and watch em all. I know the Texans team much better than UT's at least.

Basically 10 years ago I still hadn't gotten over it. I was pissed at the NFL and wasn't going to reward them with my money or my emotional investment. I didn't think they were worth it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I was online in Austin, on the LA Times forum. Giving TJ Simers the what for. Hey TJ...you probably still think the NFL will change their mind and award the expansion franchise to LA. What a moron.

6. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Senior year of high school in Seattle.

7. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

I was 11 years old, and barely knew the game of Football existed. My only contact with the sport, let alone The Texans, was going to Chelsea (soccer) games every other weekend, and teasing a friend, who is a Pats fan, about liking 'Rugby with protective pads'.

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Getting ready to go to class...in the 4th grade.

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I was working downtown in the same building McNair's company was HQ'd in (Pennzoil Place). Very shortly after the announcement, the Texans Store opened in the lobby of the building, and all the Chiefs fans in my family got Texans stuff that Christmas.

10. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I was 10 & wasn't really rooting for any team in football. Started rooting for the Texans as soon as I heard about them, though. I remember watching the expansion draft. Seems so long ago now.

11. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Was living in Oregon and that day I decided I was going to be a diehard. I didn't even know the organization was going to be as impressive as it is. But the namesake and the clean slate were enough for me.

12. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

Same. But I was in the 3rd grade.

13. GNTLEWOLF

GNTLEWOLF All Pro

I was envisioning another Oilers and i was awefully glad to finally have a team in Texas to root for.

14. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I was here in Houston.
    I'm pretty sure I heard about it at work.

I was obsessed all day with what division we'd be in and how the conf/divisional alignment would change.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I didn't think they named the team until the following January...??

16. TexanPulse

TexanPulse Rookie

Started drinking for Texas-OU somewhere in Austin...I'm not too sure where...I believe I had some classes in between as well. Possibly an Orgo exam.

It all worked out in the end.

Welcome all.

17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Good Grief dude! That was a Wednesday!
    LOL

18. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Actually, they named it in Sept. 2000, so it was the following Christmas I was thinking of.

19. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

wow i was 10 years old and i remember my dad telling me and i remember say to him they were gonna be terrible... lol then 2 years later they were my favorite team... and they were terrible hahah

20. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Let's see, 10 years ago I was 48, not 58, and I was still a dirty old man then just as I am now. The Texans are still inconsistent with no playoffs in sight, so nothing has changed there either.

As to where exactly I was ten years ago, hell, I can't remember where I was last week.