Where we stand

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texanmike02, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

OK, 4-7.

We SHOULD finish the year at 7-9. I know that's a stretch, but we've got Oakland, Jacksonville and Chicago. I think we should win all of those games.

Don't believe what you've heard. When we had success on that 3 game run, we weren't as good as they told you. When we've gotten handled, we're not as bad as they tell you. Coming into the season, I felt like we were a 7 to 9 win team. That's about what we are. But we're a 7-9 team that is a lot closer to the playoffs than we were a year ago. You can count the holes on this team on one hand.

IMHO the biggest need we have is on the DL. We need that big fat dude in the middle. I would have liked to seen Okam develop into that guy, and he might, he's still young... but we desperately need that guy to make this team go. A lot has been made about our lack of blitzing, but I was watching ans how often do we collapse the pocket from up the middle. It becomes a lot harder to get to the qb if he only has to step up. Collapse the pocket and our rush will be much more potent. Teams will have a hell of a problem if we're able to keep blockers off of Ryans. If there's one facet of the game he consistently struggles in, its shedding blockers. Anyone remember when they were talking about the decline of Ray in balt? Then they got that big kid in the middle and wow, he's amazing again. If we can start shutting down the run, getting the pass rush becomes easier, getting the D of the field becomes easier and we'll likely be relying on the pass on offense less frequently.

Finally we're getting a chance to see what we have in our young draftees. Abidi has looked nice. I think that between Ryans, Diles and Abidi we have 2/3 of our starting LB corps for next year. We also have the top reserve in our rotation.

A SS would be a blessing, and as much as I've maligned out CBs over the last year, if Daunte is as close to himself as he has looked over the last two weeks, everybody slides down a notch and we're not nearly as bad as it looked earlier in the season.

On offense, we need help in the middle of the line. That's about it. A big bruising back would be nice. And a mean streak. I'm still confident in Matt. I know some aren't. Would someone PLEASE chop block the next DL to go for his knees? If someone hits him can we put their head on a platter? Does anyone notice that no one hits Sage like that? I don't know why, but I imagine there isn't the same emphasis on him because plainly, he's not as good.

Its a long season guys, this team isn't going anywhere this year... Oh, can we get a new DC? I don't think its Smith's fault, but we need to send a message that you WILL be held accountable.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  2. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

we also need someone other than Ah-man-i-got-hurt-again Green for those short kamikaze runs.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  3. Texanmike02

dude, how fast do you read? I didn't even get to fix what I typed... took me like 1 minute to correct it... wow...

That's why i said a big bruising back.

Mike

4. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

yeah, oops. my eyes jumped from lineman talk to confidence in schaub.

5. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Sounds about right to me. A big DT is key to alot of other pieces falling into place. Maybe add in a DE opposite Mario, as well as a true MLB with Demeco on the outside.

6. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

Soo your telling me theres a chance.

7. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Cut way down on turnovers.

8. Texanmike02

The refreshing thing though, is for the first time in our history, we haven't added a weakness. Gonig into the offseason we said we needed a RB... got him. The weaknesses above, and we seem to have filled one of the LBs with abidi. Our LT seems solid, he's young, but he's learning well. Overall looking back on last offseason, I'd give it a B to this point. I REALLY REALLY wish we had made Sage for a 3rd move though. Wonder if there was a C or G available in the the 3rd that would be starting over meyers or breisel. Not only that, but I was about right when I said I didnt' want Sage around because the guy wasn't going to take us anywhere. If Matt isn't our QB, we're not a good team. We got to find a way to protect him, if we're not going to, we need to get rid of him and bring in someone else. This isn't me calling for his head, this is me talking to management saying make a choice. Lets not ruin another QB.

Mike

9. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

That depends on Dunta. IF we don't offer him the contract he wants he bails and then we have a hole in CB.

10. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

7-9 seems to be a worse outcome than 4-12 or 6-10. There is a ton of talent at the top of this draft and being in the top 10 would give the team a chance at a great deal of playmakers

11. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

That's said every year and every year busts are drafted in the top 10 and future Hall of Famers are drafted in the mid first and beyond. I'll take the win every time, thanks.

12. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

The meaningless win over the Browns instead of drafting Adrian Peterson was so worth it:fans:

7-9 keeps the mediocrity of Kubiak and the rest of his admin in charge for another year as well.

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

close yet so far. the abomination of a trade to aquire Matt :crutch: Schaub was so much more gratifying :gun:

14. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Speaking of which, when is Schaub due to come back? I remember they said up to 4 weeks. Was this Sage's 2nd or 3rd game? I can't remember. They all seem to be a blur of turnovers! :gun:

15. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Throw the bank at Albert Haynesworth..(we'll have the cap space)...problem solved, I don't want to blow another 1st rounder on another DT.

16. Blazin' Toro

Blazin' Toro The Underdog

I agree, Veteran FA > Draft Pick

17. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

I wish we would've gotten that extra third and trade it for one of those top tier DTs that was on the block during the offseason (Stroud, Jenkins, or Rogers). The bar was set at 3rd and 4th round picks. Hell Rogers was had for a 3rd and a player that was undrafted out of college. Those were a big time bargain for those type of dlinemens. Too late now. We are in big need of an NT, hell even UT with how Amobi is playing, and wouldn't/will not had find impact, seasoned DTs like those in the drafts. We blew out on chance to get a big time DTs during that trading splurge.

Also, when did Chicago became a lock in win game? Did I missed something? Cause last time I checked they were three times the team we are. Infact if they were to play all their starters, I would expect them to destroy our ass like Baltimore did on our own turf. They are tied with Minny right now for 1st place, and have Green Bay trailing them by 1 game.... so don't expect them to sit their starters against us.

Oakland just owned Denver today, who is also a better team then us. We play them away so don't count on that as a lock in win.

In the end we might just end up 5-11... I'm going to say 6-10 though, that should give us a good draft pick.

18. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

agreed...we've got young players that will develop. Let's bring in some QUALITY FAs to complete this thing...:texflag:

19. GNTLEWOLF

GNTLEWOLF All Pro

Thank you for talking sense. I had thought I was crazy all year when I would read everyone's predictions and Chicago and Oakland were treated as sure wins. Chicago , in my opinion will own us, and Oakland is not the same old same old.

20. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

Oakland! Are you kidding me they are TERRIBLE, easy win!