Where Tom Brady rank all time now?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by gtexan02, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I love Montana, but he also lost in the first round of the playoffs several times. Not to mention he had the greatest WR in NFL history for three of his Super Bowls.

2. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

Starbucks, Bradshaw, and Montana played in an era without free agency and LESS TEAMS.

The 16 game season didnt happen till 78. Starbuck had 1 year left in his career. Bradshaw was done in 83 having played more then half his career before the extension.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Okay... but look at who they lost to; Parcells' Giants and Joe Gibbs' Redskins. Are you actually telling me that Brady would have done better than Montana against those teams under 1980's NFL rules? Because that's what "All-Time" means to me. That's why I say you gotta break this into eras.

4. sometexansfan

sometexansfan Blue Bomber

He only had Rice for 2.

Double Barrel likes this.
  5. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

The real question is will Eli Manning make the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
    He beat Tom Brady and the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl (2-0 Super Bowl record).
    I think that's going to be enough to get him in regardless of what he does the rest of his career.

Tom Brady has won five Super Bowls but those two Super Bowl losses to the New York Giants still stand out the most to me. Especially when one of those years (2007) he had a 16-0 team, 18-0 leading up to the Super Bowl, with two explosive wide receivers in Randy Moss and Wes Welker. And they could only muster 14 total points in a 17-14 loss in that Super Bowl.

6. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

this is hardly a point in favor of Eli :)

7. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Why are you so sure he wouldn't have?

8. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Aaah.... the old answer a question with a question move. Classic.
    Tell me, where did I say, definitively, that he wouldn't have. I said we don't know.

9. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seemed you were dismissing what Brady could do vs Montana for simply not knowing.

And I wasn't trying to pull a move, just asking honestly.

10. Double Barrel

With Bill Walsh as his head coach, Jerry Rice and Dwight Clark as receivers, and Roger Craig carrying the ball?

I never said he'd be better, but I have no doubt that he would have won Super Bowls, as well.

I'm not going down the road of denigrating Joe Montana to make a point. We are talking Lamborghini vs. Ferrari here. These guys are the elite of the elite.

ObsiWan and santo like this.

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Its been like that in here for years. Big reason why I said a lot in here were choking on crow after the game, because you know good and well they were dying to see the Pats lose, and thought it was over and then they took a huge punch to the nuts and it stung. So many Houston fans have had such loser sports experiences that they start living through other teams they don't like just to beat the teams they hate. Brady could win 4 more SB's, and they'd still be saying the same stuff they said 3 years ago that many are still trying to say today. When you never have faith in your own team every year, it becomes a lot easier to hate the teams that consistently prosper. Brady isn't going anywhere any time soon though, so it will be fun to see which thing they attempt to discredit with next.

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Truth is, there's no way of knowing. I said earlier, that guys like Brady, Montana, Staubach, there are others, never think they're out of it as long as there is time on the clock. It's more uncertainty in the way the game has changed than a lack of confidence in Brady's ability or heart.

13. Texecutioner

Its been like that in here for years. Big reason why I said a lot in here were choking on crow after the game, because you know good and well they were dying to see the Pats lose, and thought it was over and then they took a huge punch to the nuts and it stung. So many Houston fans have had such loser sports experiences that they start living through other teams they don't like just to beat the teams they hate. Brady could win 4 more SB's, and they'd still be saying the same stuff they said 3 years ago that many are still trying to say today. When you never have faith in your own team every year, it becomes a lot easier to hate the teams that consistently prosper. Brady isn't going anywhere any time soon though, so it will be fun to see which thing they attempt to discredit with next.

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

According to this logic Trent Dilfer is better than Brady. He has a 1.000 winning percentage in the big game. Also, Elway, Kelly, Tarkington, Marino, etc are lousy bums and should be thrown out of the HOF. Where does Fouts fit in? :D

ObsiWan and Double Barrel like this.
  15. Double Barrel

Jack Nicklaus is considered the greatest golfer of all time. The experts say this because he won 18 major championships.

What they don't tell you is how many he lost. Because it doesn't ******* matter.

History measures greatness by achievements, not statistical anomalies or percentages.

Individuals can decide their own metrics for such judgments, but ultimately, the collective will of history looks at total achievements to measure true greatness.

People can try to swim upstream all they want, but that never changes the direction of the river.

JB and DocBar like this.
  16. Texecutioner

None of this really matters when people have blind hatred or a mental blockage for a narrative they don't want to be true. Brady could win 3 more SB's or his team could have never lost a single SB, and the same people that still try to diminish his accomplishments and the difficulty of how he did it will never concede to it. They'd still use that phony era argument or they'd cherry pick some meaningless stat that has pretty much no logic behind it, or they'd say he cheated the entire time. I say let them talk and keep talking. All that does is motivate Brady to play longer and keep going. Hell, if we can get 3 more years of him that will be awesome. I'd love to see another SB appearance with people saying "I'm so tired of this team winning". You are already aware that the Pats will be the most disciplined team in the league scheme wise as long as Brady is there. With all things considered at age 39, this was Brady's best season of his career. Even better than his 50 TD season.

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Tom Brady and the Patriots are negotiating a contract extension. As I said, Brady is an exception to their 'get rid of them when they become expensive but still have value' policy. He is signed thru 2019 now.

18. Texecutioner

I sure hope that means they're trading Jimmy G then. I wonder if Brady is going to take even less again.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Brady/Montana/Elway/Staubach are/ were the best with the game on the line.

Grams, ObsiWan and infantrycak like this.
  20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I'd think that means a trade is very likely.

Brady kind of took less. What he really did was take huge money upfront as a roster bonus so it hit later years less (with a big benefit for him being he got it early free to invest).