Where is TJ when the season begins?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by humbleone, May 22, 2006.

1. humbleone

humbleone Veteran

As has been noted often, those of us who love the Texans find out more from the "wired in" members of the MB than the Chronicle's version of a sports section. So... where do you guys see TJ depth chart wise when the season opens? :spy:

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I see him behind Payne when the season starts but given Payne's injury history I see him starting somewhere by midseason due to an injured Payne but it basically just speeds up the process of his eventual replacement of Payne. I also see that he looks like a first rounder with the help from the DEs.

3. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

On the bench, again.

With the Texans trying to get Peak, Babin, playing time by moving Weaver to the inside, and Payne and Smith already starting ahead of TJ, could be another long unproductive year for our boy.

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Wired it on not, I'll answer:

I think he is fourth on the DT list. Depending on the rotations, schemes, injuries and his performance when given opportunities, he may not get a lot of playing time.

5. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

He'll be in the rotation.

6. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:hunter: I think that the 16th pick in the first round better be fighting for a starters position . You think that TJ should be about to pass Payne ( who 's best at NT ) up .

Last year TJ was out of position , while at FSU another DT named Bunkley did'nt get any noteriety because of TJ . This year Bunkley was the 14th pick in the draft .

Bottom line is Travis Johnson is a good prospect . He's a quick DT with decent size and he scored a 26 on his wonderlich .

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Payne has had one significant injury in the last 7 seasons and has played in 16 games out of 16 6 of the last 7 seasons. People are way too fast to slap injury tags on players.

8. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I see Johnson as the 3rd DT. I see him behind Payne and Robaire Smith, but ahead of Babin.

9. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I'll give you a chance to edit it before I rag on you.

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think he will be 1 of 3 starters at DT. The rotation will be so quick, all thee will look like starters.

11. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

The thing you can't do is count TJ out . He was going to be a 1st round draft choice in 2005 by someone and its not fair to pencil him in as another one of CC and company's screw ups . Give him a year under Smith and see .

12. Bamaborn-Texasbred

Bamaborn-Texasbred All Pro

Depth on the D Line is fantastic.

When the opposing team's offensive line is starting to wear down in the fourth quarter our D line will still be fresh and fast! Look out Peyton! Look out Leftwich! Talk about two quarterbacks that run in concrete shoes on mollasses (sp?).

This season is going to be so much fun to watch. I'm finally going to get my money's worth on my season tickets. I am absolutely dying to see a game.

13. real

real Guest

huh ???

14. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

Personally I think that Johnson is better for us than Payne.. Johnson is quicker and more intense than Payne.. Him and RoBear could be a comple NIGHTMARE on the inside.. and combine that with the fire that Peek brings and add the freakish ability of Mario Williams.

Johnson was completely out of place in our 3-4 defense. Give him a shot in the 4-3 where instead of 5 Olinemen vs 3 D-Linemen.. It's 5 vs 4. So Somebody is gonna get a double team and somebody is gonna be 1 on 1. And with those 4 I would love to see how O-Linemen are gonna handle it...

15. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

I think Travis would not hurt at all if he could gain some weight, or just get bigger, he could put on 10 or 15 lbs, would not hurt. He looked like he was not strong enough at times or the olineman were just a little too fast for him last season and got into his pads first and could not get his leverage back.

Or maybe he was not sure where to be and was thinking too much.

I think he is good and will benifit a lot from the new 4-3 and the Super Freak:mario: next to him.

16. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Now yes, before Payne hurt his knee NO way.

Payne was one of the best in the NFL at run stuffing before he hurt his knee, I used to watch him blow up centers and get in the back field and change the rbs direction many times. He may not have gotten the tackle but he had plenty RBs change the hole they were going to.

AND I always wanted to say that Gary Walker when he wanted to play and blow somebody up, nobody could block this guy.

17. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Whoops. I meant, I see Johnson 3rd on the DT depth chart. Behind Payne and Smith, but ahead of Babin.

18. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Way ahead of Babin giving that Babin is an End.

I think TJ will start. Payne is a solid defender but doesn't have the burst that TJ. Payne is better suited to a 3-4 nose tackle I think, or a running downs defender. Our O-Line has got to generate pressure for our defense to work and I think that TJ and Smith are the best at doing that....

19. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

I wonder how tired those big guys get running on and off the field. That seems like a good bit of running if we are going to have a really frequent rotation, and it seems like that would lessen the advantage. I wonder what the happy medium is? Is it stupid to think running over 25 yards every 4 or 5 plays would be in itself fatiguing?

20. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

I could see your concern for the situation but your forgetting the rest they will get as our new offense with AJ, E-Mo, DD, Putz, and Carr moving the rock down the field killing clock, gaining yards, and putting up points.