Where do you think the Texans should be if not 4-4?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Hervoyel, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'm one of the unhappy in here. I'm disappointed in where we are, how we look, and what we've done. I'm a "hater" or a "whiner" if you want to call me that. I'm ready for a coaching change because in 4.5 NFL seasons I've seen enough to have come to the conclusion that we aren't getting much better. 8-8, 8-8, 9-7, and if our current pace holds again 8-8 looks to me like a certain coach & staff have hit their plateau.

That begs the question "what would have made me happy?" What was I expecting and looking back at the first half of the season where do I think the Texans should be? I think the season should look like this right now.

Week 1. Win over Indianapolis. Very nearly complete domination. 1-0
    Week 2. Redskins comeback. A win we should have probably lost. 1-1
    Week 3. Cowboys beat down. A loss we should won. 2-1
    Week 4. Raiders road victory, This went as it should have. 3-1
    Week 5. Giants beat down. We were destroyed in that game. 3-2
    Week 6. Kansas City Chiefs. A home comeback that stands. 4-2
    Week 7. Indianapolis rematch. We should have won that game. 5-2
    Week 8. San Diego. We let a winnable game get away. 6-2

That's where I expect the Texans to be right now. They should be 6-2 in my opinion and the last two weeks losses have eclipsed anything that went wrong in the 6 weeks before that.

Where do you think the Texans should be right now?

2. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I honestly think this is a lucky 2-6 team at best.

I'm extremely happy that we pulled out some good wins, but there's absolutely no consistency with this team (yet again). All signs point to the fact that we should have lost both the Washington and Kansas City games, and it was a few lucky calls (or non-calls in some cases) that kept drives alive/killed opponents drives.

You can make a case that luck plays a huge part in football, but I have yet to see anything about this Texans team that screams that it is a good team. On top of all that, we almost blew a lead to Oakland as well.

I really hope the Texans can bring it all together. I'm not trying to be Mr. Doom-and-Gloom, but the truth is that they have yet to show any of us anything to be extremely hopeful for. The same Cowboys team that whooped the dog out of us was absolutely humiliated two weeks in a row. Good teams step on bad teams' throats...and that is something we absolutely cannot do this year.

BigBull17 likes this.
  3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

5-3 or 4-4 seems about right. We should have beat the Chargers. We were dominated by the Colts

4. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

Correction :)

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

We should be 6-2. We have said for years that to win the division we need to sweep or split our division games.

Week 1. Colts: 1-1 or 2-0 vs. the Colts this year.
    Week 2. Redskins. Not that good of a team. Should have won handily.
    Week 3. Cowboys. We got destroyed by a 1-7 team. Weak sauce.
    Week 4. Raiders. Good win. Expected win.
    Week 5. Giants. Good team that ran us out of our building. A good loss.
    Week 6. Chiefs: Good running team, but being home should give us the edge in a W.
    Week 7. Indianapolis. Expect 1-1 or 2-0. So a loss is acceptable, but disappointing.
    Week 8. San Diego: Depleted SD team. Should have won by 2 TD's.

So looking back I expect this team to be 6-2 with losses to Indy and the Giants.

6. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

I think 7-1 even though the Redskins win was something of a fluke - flukes happen on any given Sunday. The only game we lost where we were totally out of our element was the Giants. Well, we've been out of our element since the first Colts game but the Giants are clearly better than we are. The rest of the games were winnable and should have been wins.

Having said that, I'd be relatively happy if we were 5-3 with hope for the remaining season. I actually think ending this season at 8-8 is very optimistic.

I've lost hope for this season. The one hope I have is that I'm wrong about the remaining games.

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Who are the good teams this year?

The Jets, who only beat the lowly Lions because their QB and kicker got hurt and they attempted an extra point with a DT?

The Patriots, who got routed by the Browns?

The Saints, who also got routed by the Browns?

The Colts, who got beat by the Jags?

The phrase "Any Given Sunday" means that every team has a chance every week.

8. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

Right where we are.

We are a .500 +/- 1 football team. I don't see up getting any better this year, but probably a lot worse.

I see maybe 2-3 more wins this year.

We can't beat the Titans and may split with the Jags. We cannot beat - beat-up teams with no receivers or TEs, then don't see a win over the Ravens or Jets. Maybe we can sneek a win over the Eagles and Broncos.

The way we have been playing I think we are lucky to be 4-4 right now and not 1-7.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

We should be at least 5-3 because the Dallas loss was inexcusable.

10. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

The Lions don't suck this year, in case you haven't heard.

11. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

We should at least be 5-3 right now, and if we had taken care of businesss yesterday 6-2. It shouldn't have been hard to beat the Colts on MNF. We should have ran it down their throats. The Texans let the Charger game slip away from them.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think the Texans should be 6-2 as well. Maybe even 7-1. The Cowboys game...... that was just pathetic. The Indy game... pathetic as well. I don't have a problem with the loss to the Chargers. Everyone talks about how great the Titans D is, & how great Jeff Fischer is & how great CJ2K is & how great VY is. (OK, maybe nobody talks about VY.) But I don't have a problem with the loss to San Diego.

The Giants....... We got beat up & smacked around, but as I said before, to start the second half, we forced a 3 & out. Offense should have scored (24-10). On the next Giants possession, we forced an INT, offense should have scored (24-17). On the next Giants possession, we forced another INT, offense should have scored (& they did) (24-24)........ End of the third Qtr, our defense allowed a field goal (30-24). We should have gone into the 4th Qtr down by 3, with a chance to win.

So I think we should have won that game as well.

Last year, we lost 6 of our 7 games because of some of the goofiest things I've ever seen on a football field. A fumble at the goal line, A fumble crossing the goal line, an INT thrown after AJ fell down, etc...

This year, the only goofy play I saw, was the ball bouncing off Andre's knee that was trapped by a defender for an INT. Maybe the trade off to that is a slower starting offense. Eh, I'll take it as long as the offense does get started.

We had trouble getting started in every game but Yesterday's, Wk 1 vs the Colts, & Oakland. Those games started with a heavy dose of running the football..... even though Arian didn't start vs Oakland.

Yesterday we played good football. We lost, but it was good football. That was the #2 defense in the league, & we moved the ball almost at will. Big improvement on where we've been.

The defense still has issues, but none of the offenses we will face will be anything like what we've seen the last two weeks. Denver may be the closest..... Jets & Ravens are as off & on as we are.

I would love to be 7-1 right now. I would love to be able to sit a few players in the final weeks of the season. Had no idea we would be sitting here at 4-4.

But it is what it is.

13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

4-4 should make us all happy, because it's an easy argument that we should have lost to WAS and KC.

The Texans have come out flat five times this season. Yesterday wasn't one of them, thankfully, and that is why they were in the game until the end. In many ways, I'm somewhat encouraged by yesterday's game. They ran the ball like they should have. Really, it all boils down to one thing -

There are only a few teams that can consistently score 4+ TDs per game, and whoever plays the Texans is one of them. As someone pointed out on the radio this morning, every game we trot Kareem "The Most NFL Ready" Jackson out there to start, we're 2 TDs in the hole.

14. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Our defense is simply not good enough for us to win more games. I'm pissed about 4-4 as well but with our defense, its a surprise we are not 0-8.

15. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

In hell, with their fans.

16. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I think they should be 5-3. The Colts are a team we are built to beat, and we only lost to them because the O-line forgot how to pass protect and Kubes didn't compensate for their epic fail by just running Foster down the Colts throat.

We didn't play well against the Giants or Cowboys so I can't say we should have beaten them.

We went blow for blow with the Chargers and came up one punch short. It didn't help that the ref blocked a couple of our haymakers, but being screwed by piss poor refs has become the standard and they have to learn to overcome it. If we played them 10 times I think we beat them 6.

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Yes they do. They are 2-6, and their only wins came against St. Louis and Washington.

They have a below average offense and a relatively poor defense.

They have almost no running game and can't stop the run either.

Theyve played teams close all year, but they still suck. They are bottom 10 in the NFL easily

18. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

They show 100x more heart and desire than the Texans do at this point.

19. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

So does the tin man.

20. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

This board has completely lost it. No one is talking with any amount of reason anymore.

We have had 2 unbelieveable comeback wins this season. We blasted Indy in that first game.

We played well for 3.5 quarters yesterday as well.

We looked great against what we now know is a very competent Raiders team.

Have we laid a few eggs? Sure.

But don't tell me that the Lions are showing 100x more heart and desire than us. What does that even mean? Have you watched all the Lions games? They have been folding in the 4th quarter repeatedly in close games.

wagonhed likes this.