Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Where did the pass rush go??

Basically we didn't know it, but our pass rush was JJ Watt, and now they are double and triple teaming him.

We don't run overload blitzes to artificially create pressure like the chiefs. The back end doesn't cover short routes very well. QBs generally are able to get it out quick.

Then again, its much more difficult to get a pass rush when you're losing.

Brooks Reed and Antonio Smith are playing worse than they did last year. I think that helped Watt put up better numbers.

Mercilus is doing well, but I don't think he's playing up to first round status.

Honestly, I don't see it as much of an issue. We get pressure. You're not getting pressure on every single play and honeslty you shouldn't expect to if being realistic. We had about 9 hurries the last game which is an average or slight above amount. But at the same time have to realize who we played and if they even threw the ball. Chiefs like to throw short quick passes or move the pocket to help eliminate the rush. We still put some pressure but need to get there a bit more.

Rams threw it a whopping 16 times
49ers threw it a whopping 13 times
Seahawks - we pressured Wilson 20 freaking times

And so on and so on. We apply pressure. It may not always come from the best angles though that allow the QB to step up or move sideways in the pocket. Things may get worse in this area w/o Cushing as short quick passes will become more available to ends and backs. Not to mention he was the best rushing backer inside.

But when you're getting blown out who is going to throw it unless conservative passing? And when you allow short throws or penalties that shorten the field, etc., then you get a different game.

I'm more concerned with our ability to stop the run and the penalties that keep taking place. Oh and the redzone defense.

We're in the 3rd year of the Wade Phillips "curse". Our defense will be terrible this year.

I was watching the game with my brother-in-law, and we kept asking each other "why is is that their receivers, TEs, RB get wide open so often"?

The pass rush simply can't get there that quickly.
I haven't look to see how many times we were in zone or why there were empty spots, but that was troubling, for sure.

When you can't stop the run its almost impossible to put heat on the QB because you are so concerned about being gashed up the middle. The key to a great pass rush is to make the offense one dimensional and we haven't done that all year.

I had mentioned Greg Bedard at SI with his weekly column on pass rush.

He hasn't come out with this week report yet, but up to week 6, the Texans still ranked second (behind the Chiefs); they were first before week 5, but slipped a notch.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/17/fletcher-cox-pressure-week-6/

I will be looking forward to his next installment to combine with what I think I observe on the field.

Even if we disagree with his criteria, it's hard to see a big drop off from second to below par, IMHO.

I will say this... Antonio Smith is a ghost this year. When he was tearing it up next to Mitchell and JJ we could at least cover for a lack of OLB pass rush presense w a monster interior rush.

Back