When will the Texans sign Jay Cutler?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Bulls on Parade, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

We had threads for Tony Romo and Colin Kaepernick, but the veteran quarterback the Houston Texans will likely sign is Jay Cutler. What are your thoughts? Do you think Rick Smith will have him signed by the end of this week or next week?

Jay Cutler would likely come in with a chip on his shoulder and a lot to prove. I think he will easily beat out Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden for the starting job although that's not saying much. That being said I still expect the Texans to draft a quarterback sometime in the early rounds during this upcoming draft. But the guy we draft needs a little time to sit and learn Bill O'Brien's playbook.

Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden are both entering a contract year and will become unrestricted free agents next March. I don't envision either of them being back with the Texans past this upcoming 2017 season. So I think it's highly important that we sign a veteran quarterback and also invest a high draft choice on a quarterback during the next few weeks.

I know a lot of you guys still believe in Tom Savage and are "okay" with him being our Week 1 starter when the 2017 NFL season starts. The problem with him is durability. Five games played in three seasons. Missed an entire season after going on IR during a pre-season game. He's not likely to last very long and he'll be on IR before you know it. I have doubts he can even play in two or three straight games much less an entire 16-game schedule. It's frustrating and not something I want to rely on long term.

2. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

I'm still hoping all these QB threads get all condensed into one

All encompassing Texans' QB situation

paycheck71, ATXtexanfan and PapaL like this.
  3. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

I don't know that Cutler is enough of an improvement over Savage to warrant dealing with him, and I don't think he's cheap enough to be the insurance plan to Savage...

thunderkyss and TexansSeminole like this.
  4. Bulls on Parade

It's fun to chat about for now though. At least until something official happens. We certainly have the financial freedom and cap space to offer Jay Cutler an enticing contract. Especially since we're in a "win now" mode.

I would expect a scheduled meeting with Jay Cutler to happen by the end of this week if not early next week. Rick Smith is probably huddled in his office right now, with Bill O'Brien sitting two feet away from him, conversing with Jay Cutler's agent as I type this.

Ideally, it would be nice to have Jay Cutler signed before the NFL Draft. So that we can solely focus on which quarterback we are drafting on draft day.

5. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

What has Jay Cutler done to warrant any real investment?

6. Scooter

Scooter Funky

He can throw the ball really far.

Max likes this.
  7. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

yes I know, I just get confused with all these parallel discussions :D

8. Bulls on Parade

You can't be serious? Any able body that can play the quarterback position is an upgrade over Tom Savage. The dude can't stay on the field! Five games played in three years. He's more likely to be placed on IR than he is to play in more than a handful of games during the 2017 NFL season. I would be impressed if Tom Savage plays in three consecutive games. Do that first and maybe I'll start to jump on his bandwagon.

9. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

My view is this but on another level. There isn't a QB available that isn't a rookie that should be taking snaps away from Savage at this point. Based on where we are now, we should see what a high pick rookie and Savage have to offer.

10. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

When will the Texans sign Jay Cutler?

Hopefully never.

JB, Grams and Mollywhopper like this.

11. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Nobody wants Cutler. Pick a crusade, at the rate you're going we'll have the worst 43 quarterbacks in the NFL under contract next year - and a few guys from the parking lot.

JB and Mollywhopper like this.
  12. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

Well, that's my second point about Cutler being a case of the insurance policy being more costly than the asset insured.

Bingo.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Jay Cutler
    2016: 1
    2015: 5
    2014: 3
    2013: 4
    2012: 4
    2011: 2

Total: 19

Andy Dalton
    2016: 8
    2015: 8
    2014: 3
    2013: 6
    2012: 6
    2011: 4

Total: 35

Most of us think of Andy Dalton when we think of average QB play. Since 2011 he's had 35 games where he recorded a passer rating of 100 or better. He was a rookie in 2011. Jay Cutler has recorded a passer rating of 100 or better in 19 games over that same period. He was a 6 year veteran in 2011.

Andy Dalton appears to be getting better as time passes. Jay Cutler does not.

Brock Osweiler finished 2016 with a passer rating of 72.2

Jay Cutler finished 2016 with a passer rating of 78.1

htownfan32 likes this.
  14. Bulls on Parade

Tell me what happens if Tom Savage predictably injures himself and has to be placed on IR yet again, either in the preseason or a couple games into the 2017 regular season. Then what? Brandon Weeden time? Or do we throw that rookie quarterback that we drafted into the fire? If nothing else I'd rather have insurance in the form of a veteran quarterback.

Heck, we once threw T.J. Yates into a playoff race late in the year one season, and he also started two playoff games, despite being an unproven sixth-round rookie. So I guess even that dire situation is possible. But that was under Gary Kubiak's simplified West Coast offense. It's more of a plug-in-play scheme. Even Brock Osweiler flourished and impressed a lot of people playing in that system two seasons ago.

Bill O'Brien is the one calling the plays. I know he's very high on Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden. But neither guy is a long-term fixture. They are both signed to one year deals and quite possibly entering their final season in Houston.

Bob McNair and Rick Smith needs to decide the future of this organization. We're in a mess right now at the quarterback position. I would feel a lot better if we signed a veteran quarterback in the next few days, as well as drafting a quarterback in the early rounds. I want to bring in two new quarterbacks.

15. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Nobody thinks of Dalton.

macho grande likes this.
  16. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

How is that different from Romo?

17. Bulls on Parade

A lot can be said if Jay Cutler played on a better team. He did reach an NFC Championship game playing on a team with a stout defense and some decent talent around him on offense.

A lot like Colin Kaepernick, they've gone to a combined one Super Bowl and three conference championship games when their team's talent level was comparable to what the Houston Texans have right now. Pretty much the #1 defense in the league anchored by two or three All-Pro caliber players that are elite and Hall of Fame caliber. That is enticing to me.

I would even argue the weapons we have on offense is better than what Jay Cutler ever had with the Chicago Bears. Even during that season he went to the NFC Championship game. I know they had that stud RB they selected in the same draft we took Steve Slaton in. Matt Forte!

With our defense, we just need to score 13 to 20 points to win a lot of games. Just give me a healthy quarterback with some toughness and I believe the Houston Texans can go 12-4 in 2017 despite playing a tough schedule.

macho grande likes this.
  18. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

None of this is an argument for Jay Cutler in particular over any other veteran QB though.

Besides the fact that you know his name and you're always enamored with celebrity status athletes, what is the plus about Jay Cutler?

19. Bulls on Parade

I'm over Tony Romo already. I've moved on to Jay Cutler.

20. Bulls on Parade

He's a veteran that has proven he can win big games if he has a Super Bowl caliber defense around him. The only other quarterback like that is Colin Kaepernick. I'd be supportive of signing either one but at this point I see Jay Cutler as a more logical choice.

He would also have some dynamic weapons to play with on offense. He's been through a lot of adversity throughout his career and I love his fiery attitude. That may just be what this team needs from a quarterback right now. Cutler has also played 15 or 16 games in a season for a majority of his career. He's durable and dependable to at least be ready to play on gameday. I don't even care if he's a bit of a problem child in the locker room. Or whatever the media portrays him to be.

I'll just stand by and wait until the Texans sign Jay Cutler.
    My next post on this thread will come once it happens.
    Whether it's today, tomorrow or next week. Just wait and see.

All I know is the Houston Texans have a Super caliber team right now.
    Well, besides the quarterback position! Let's do something about that!
    We have to look at our best options right now. It's not much but it's doable.

steelbtexan likes this.