When will Kubiak...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GuerillaBlack, Jan 6, 2010.

1. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Start watching the big plays during the game? He always looks to the ground or walks the other direction. I'm sure it has an effect on the players.

2. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I doubt it has any effect. Qb's like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady often don't watch crucial FG's. It's not uncommon.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Why would it? I think it is just one of his little superstitions and no one really pays attention to it... other than fans and media

4. treduke

treduke All Pro

i dont think its that big of a deal
    i doubt andre johson is out on the field thinking why is coach walking the other way?

5. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

I thought it was kind of strange when they showed the replay in the New England game. I knew he did it for field goals, though.

6. GP

GP Go Texans!

Really?

I always see them watching stuff like that.

And they don't go into a big act of drama about it. They stand there and watch, waiting to see what happens.

Our guy? He grimaces as if he bet his salary on the game.

I think, in the end, this is a very telling character trait of Kubiak. Even HE doesn't think we can do it.

Which is why he agonizes over the crucial plays at ends of games. He can't bear to think how he's going to be able to stomach another tough loss.

This is what I mean when I say that coaches can impact the play of their players. If any of you think none of the players (a) see what he does and (b) have even talked about it with one another, then I don't know what to say.

He doesn't inspire confidence. And a major proof of this is right there in front of everybody's noses.

Oh well. One day he'll evolve into a higher being. :cool:

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think it shows a coach who cares about winning so much that he can't take it to watch it. I know I get like that at home sometimes.

8. MannyFresh

MannyFresh El Capitan

.....cut the two Ch/K ris'?

chicagotexan2 likes this.

9. GP

GP Go Texans!

I generally praise you for your posts, but I have to say "Boo!" on this one.

Of course he cares about winning, but I think his over-the-top melodrama has exposed traits that point toward the failures of this team: Lack of confidence that things will end up working in our favor.

At worst, he's telling us that he didn't put the players into position to run away with the game and avoid a close ending.

At best, he's saying that he doesn't think his players can out-do the opponent when it matters most.

He's cringing at the thought of losing YET ANOTHER very close game that should not have been close in the first place.

The top priority of Gary Kubiak should be figuring out how to finish off the Titans and the Jaguars.

10. Section516

Section516 Warrior

Did he do it at Denver?

11. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

EXACTLY. I don't give a damn if he looks at the field goals or not. I just want improvement in our division. Period.

Fox likes this.
  12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I agree with the last sentence. I believe that anytime you are nervous it means you care about what's about to go down. If you weren't nervous you wouldn't really care about what's taking place. We can sit here and talk about how the game shouldn't have come down to the last wire. So can Indy in most of their games. The fact is that the game was on the line and most likely his career. The other fact is that our team has been in that situation before during the season and the results haven't been in our favor. You are going to do this :headhurts: when the game is on the line let alone your career.

Do I think he needs to do a better job coaching? Yes. Let me ask you what it tells the players if he shows no emotion at all? What if he shows no emotion when we failed? What does that show the team. At least him having some kind of reaction should tell the players ' I really want to win this game'.

13. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

The confidence comes when the players on the field MAKE the plays he cant bear to watch.

14. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

jup. Personally, he could be getting liquored up in the executive suites during the game as long as he makes the right calls :)

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I really, honestly think some of you are overanalyzing, perhaps even reaching, in an effort to justify why Kubiak is a bad coach. Kubiak is a bad coach (ok, maybe "mediocre") because he has a 31-33 record. Nothing more, nothing less. Who the F&^% cares if he watches crucial plays? Pretty much no one but a few dissatisfied fans.

There are better reasons to be on Kubiak's case.

16. 50boys

50boys Rookie

I think it's just plan superstition. Probably started one game maybe back in Dener and he just kept doing it. I'd be doing it two if Kris Brown was my kicker...

17. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Co-sign. To judge Kubiak on him not looking at field goals is ridiculus and unfair. I don't like him, but it has nothing to do with his body language. Do I think his body language should improve? Sure. But that is the least of this team's worries.

As long as the W's improve, he can take a freaking nap during field goals for all I care.

18. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

In the realm of what Kuniak needs to improve/change, this is WAY down the list. Id rather him make changes when something isn't working a little faster than he does. Id like him to know when a play is close and have his guys hurry up and snap it. Id rather he know when to challenge a play and when not to.

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Not watching plays doesn't bother me.

However, what I do not understand is why he stands 30 yards away from the LOS. He stands with the trainers, and very rarely gets over to the bench to work strategy with his players. I've seen many of the great coaches make adjustments on the sideline and work with the players to point out situations with pictures and diagrams when they are on the bench, but Kubiak removes himself from all of that and stays far, far away from where the action is happening on and off the field.

I sat with Vinny during the Colts game, and we were tracking Kubiak the entire game. He literally stayed 25-30 yards away from the LOS and never went to the bench to work strategy or adjustments with his offensive unit. It's a strange M.O., imo.

It's not a criticism on my part, but I just genuinely wonder what the mentality is behind being so distant and aloof during games.

20. GP

GP Go Texans!

The "can't look at big plays" is not WHY he is a bad coach, but instead it is the symptom of the illness.

1-6 in divisional games, and this is not his first season here. So there's no excuse for getting owned by your rivals in your fourth year. He hasn't shown he can out-coach his divisional rivals.