When will Carr throw deep?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Divebomb, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Divebomb

Divebomb Veteran

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that Carr has not thrown a ball over 20 yards. I mean a reciever might stretch out a 7 yard pass into 20 yards but I have not seen one, complete or incomplete, pass over 35 yeards in the air. Whats the deal?

2. El Amigo Invisible

El Amigo Invisible All Pro

Didn't Carr used to air it out alot to Bradford his rookie year(when he wasn't running for his life)?

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I've been wondering the same thing. I kind of hope he lets it fly a couple of times this week.

4. RiotCommander

RiotCommander All Pro

Mathis really was the only deep threat we had. AJ could go deep but I don't expect many deep balls into double coverage. It will open up in the reg season when the saftey has to come down and stop the run. Right now they just play base defense.

5. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I would guess that there are many receivers slower than Mathis who were successful with the long ball. AJ is certainly capable of going deep.

6. Wild.Bill

Wild.Bill Rookie

AJ is certainly capable of going deep, but is also the one receiver that the safeties will double on. We lack a true burner to stretch the defense not named Andre Johnson. Moulds and Walters will be very good possession receivers.

Mathis, even though very unexperienced, is the type of speed that you want as a third/fourth receiver that can sneak past the safeties for big plays.

7. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

The tight ends will make the safeties pay for doubling Andre. There are many ways to be successful with the long ball other than having two really fast guys.

Having an offensive system that exploits your opponents weaknesses and reinforces your own strengths (which I think we are building) would open up the long pass more than just adding Mathis into a poorly planned offense (like last year's Texans).

8. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

He will throw deep when they set that up.

Usually Denver will dink and dunk and then when the guys in the booth see that the defenders are shading up, then they will send it downfield.

Some plays they run just to set up stuff later on.

Deep options are often available, and the QBs are taught to look downfield first, but if it is not there, they aren't supposed to chuck it.

Strategery. We have to get used to it as Texans fans. :cool:

9. RiotCommander

RiotCommander All Pro

Mannn everyone keeps saying what I already posted just using different words. Don't I get any credit at all :)

:challenge :challenge

10. MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS Veteran

He has been too busy running for his life, or getting sacked to throw deep, hopefully this year he will air one out to A.J. or Moulds for a TD....

11. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Good call. IMO Carr needs to make use of his cannon arm a few more times per game, but I don't really care if he throws long, as long as the drive involves correct decisions and ends in a score.

Unfortunately the TV broadcast doesn't show the whole field, so it's oftentimes hard to see who is or isn't open downfield outside of the limited view.

I think you will see Carr throw long more and more as the season progresses and he becomes comfortable in Kubiak's system. You gotta remember -- it's one thing to practice a play with confidence, it's another to have that same confidence in a game. This is a guy who for years has endured bad practice absent of "game conditions;" previously, Capers and Carr would practice a bunch of things that Carr never saw in a real game. Give him a little time to make that adjustment.

I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone, but it's beneficial to place his performance in context.

12. trane

trane Rookie

IMO-It seems he likes to throw deep when his receiver is wide open and does not like to throw deep in tight coverage or double teams.

13. humbleone

humbleone Veteran

The deep shot (taken 2-3 times a game on average) is part of this offense I believe. As others have commented, they might not all go to AJ however...Lewis caught a nice one at the flag from Sage last week (a deep ball play among others they work on every practice I understand).

IMO, Kubes and Carr still have a lot of work to do to get Carr ready to (1) have the vision to see that option in his read progression and (2) have him remain calm and patient enough to take that option. As Kubes has coached him many times..."just slow down a bit". And please, before anyone lights me up about being anti-Carr and how if he had more time etc... check my posts...I have been and remain a big Carr fan. :redtowel:

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The pass which was tipped by the LB in the KC preseason game was a 30+ yd throw. Kubiak has mentioned Carr missing a couple longer options in the Rams game--can't tell from the televised game how far those WR's were or even which play since you often can't see the receivers.

Carr used to be willing to take these shots (as someone mentioned, see the Vikings game throwing long balls to AJ in double coverage, to Armstrong over the middle) but (and all of this stuff is Carr's 100% responsibility to get rid of) pressure and Capers/Pendry preaching small ball (rather than fixing the protection) and no turnovers removed the long ball from the Texans' arsenal. Kubiak's biggest coaching challenge is getting Carr to put it back in because Kubiak wants it there.

15. Is anyone else but me worried about the offensive line and pass protection? Although a sack in 2 games is phenominal, I am truly worried about the outside edge penetration.

Carr however had been doing a good job of looking downfield and keeping the safeties at bay. We should see more rollouts this game and thus more long ball, but since this is Denver and they see this everyday, it's going to be problematic for Carr. This is going to be a wierd game.

16. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I'm not nearly as worried about the offensive line, as I am in the young backs with the blitz recognitions, and being in the proper spot when they do recognize them.

They re going to blitz, and blitz, and blitz until finally, finally, Carr makes them pay for it. And Carr will never, ever . . .have the ability to make them pay for it until the backs do a better job of picking up those blitzes.

17. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree. Our backs have a lot to learn, especially if we want to avoid another 50+ sack season.

At least we'll have TEs to help pick up blitzes and give Carr a viable option to drop short passes to. If we are successful with it, we might see teams respect it and blitz less often. But we'll have to prove it first.

18. Eagle23

Eagle23 Rookie

he will never throe deep, too bad he is comming to philly

19. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Troll Alert

20. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

...nothing to get use to...dink and dunk is Carr's trademark, still going strong after 4 yrs...winning is what I'm waiting for, as losing is no fun to get use to...

2005 ypa 5.9 2006 5.5