Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

When good turf goes bad...

gcolby

Waterboy
Check out this patch of turf from Sunday's game against the Jags. The inset picture is halfway through the Texan's opening drive. The surrounding picture is from the very end of game.

I wanted to post this because there were some folks in my section who were badmouthing the grounds crew for letting a game take place with the field in this kind of shape. It didn't seem like it was this bad when we got there, and sure enough, I went back and found a picture I took from the very beginning of the game that shows the field looking in pretty good shape.

At that point, I was amazed at how quickly this poor little patch deteriorated in 3 hours! :-)

Anyways, for those of you who were banging on the grounds crew at the end of the game, look at ths picture.

Thanks,
Glen

The entire south end was wet, presumably from an early morning watering. You could see it and you could smell it. That part of the field gets no sun so it couldn't dry out like the north end which was in full sun the entire game. Players were slipping all over the place in the south end. Maybe we should start calling the south end the swamp and the north end the desert. Or maybe they shouldn't water so much in the areas that get no sun so the field doesn't get tore up like it did yesterday.

You can tell thats our turf...look closely and you can see how the turf has "square" patches for our pallet removal.

You could tell yesterday that the turf was coming up by the end of the game. I would think that part of that was due to the Soccer game that was played last weekend too.

Yes, that was our field. (!)

We like trying to guess which grid squares will be 'new' the next time we come back. This one was sorta obvious.

There's no comparison to their inaugural season, though, when the whole southern part of the field, particularly along the wall, was threadbare. The grounds crew does a fantastic job.

Freakin' soccer on our football field! :mad:

I know, I know, pays the bills and all that jazz....hmmmm...the Dome isn't being used... :hehe:

The grounds crew is doing the best with what they have to work with. The truth is that the stadium is not built with the best grass-growing techniques in mind, so these will be reoccurring problems.

For some reason, I thought they had gotten to the point of painting dead grass green by the end of last year's season...but I'm not sure if that was just sports-talk radio or what.

It is still better than rock-hard Astroturf!!

Back