Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Convenient you look over all the other superbowl caliber qbs in your list. Carr? Bortles? Jimmy G? I'm not even going to mention Nathan Peterman, yet you continue to forecast who can be a superbowl winning qb. The simple fact is, you don't know. Hell Kyle Shannahan could've drafted Mahomes vs Solomon Thomas, remember that? Who made the difference in that superbowl? Why did Shanny take the ball out of his qb hands and Andy put it in the hands of the QB
Nope, atleast go back and look at the mock drafts I made before those drafts before you type a post like this one.

I wanted Clowney not Bottles. Jimmy G was the QB I wanted at that time and I said as much at that time. Go back and check out some of my old mocks from that yr. Peterman was Texian's guy not mine. I may have put him in a mock or 2 in the 3rd Rd.

Simply put Lunch/Lil Shanny believe in Jimmy G and wanted to use high picks to rebuild the defense. Is Mahomes much better than jimmy G? Yes. But Jimmy G leading his team to a SB in his 1st yr as a full time starter is nothing to sneeze at. In fact I wish the Texans org could say something like this. But that would've taken foresight and planning. Something the Texans org has lacked since their inception.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yep, for those that said he didn't look great last yr. Look at the defenses he faced and the points his offenses put on the board.

North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Miami
Clemson
Northwestern

All had pretty good defenses and the only bad game Peterman had was against Miami. I see his floor as Schaub, and his ceiling as a very special QB. He's a good leader too. My #3 QB this yr behind Mahomes/Trubisky. With potential to be the best QB in this draft. I see Shanny picking Peterman at 34 and Peterman turning out to be another Ryan/Cousins.
This post.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
What other player(s) would you take that would convince you to trade Watson for Minshew?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Nope, atleast go back and look at the mock drafts I made before those drafts before you type a post like this one.

I wanted Clowney not Bottles. Jimmy G was the QB I wanted at that time and I said as much at that time. Go back and check out some of my old mocks from that yr. Peterman was Texian's guy not mine. I may have put him in a mock or 2 in the 3rd Rd.

Simply put Lunch/Lil Shanny believe in Jimmy G and wanted to use high picks to rebuild the defense. Is Mahomes much better than jimmy G? Yes. But Jimmy G leading his team to a SB in his 1st yr as a full time starter is nothing to sneeze at. In fact I wish the Texans org could say something like this. But that would've taken foresight and planning. Something the Texans org has lacked since their inception.
He didn't lead his team to the superbowl, their defense and run game did. At every chance, shanny took the ball out of his hands. See, nobody, especially me have a problem with critic of Watson, my issue , if there is one, is Nobody knows what a Super bowl qb looks like straight from the rip. In todays modern nfl, it takes alot from the organizational standpoint and development of it. In my opinion, a superbowl quarterback can offset losses of players. Now at some point, the organization has to support every qb with talent. Tom Brady had a top 5 defense in New England every year except like 3 times. Peyton only had it like 4, Rogers like twice. Superbowl success has alot to do with support. Carson Wentz was on schedule to be MVP of the league, now we don't know if Philly wins the 1st game of playoffs without Atlanta being Atlanta. Nobody thought Foles would win a Superbowl. Flacco and Eli either.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Nobody thought Foles would win a Superbowl. Flacco and Eli either.
Who drafts a QB in the first round if they don't think he can win a Super Bowl?

That's exactly why they drafted Flacco, to improve their chances of winning another Super Bowl. After a couple of years, many of us thought it would never happen & Ray Lewis proved us wrong.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Who drafts a QB in the first round if they don't think he can win a Super Bowl?

That's exactly why they drafted Flacco, to improve their chances of winning another Super Bowl. After a couple of years, many of us thought it would never happen & Ray Lewis proved us wrong.
When you draft a qb in the 1st rd, you're hoping he's going to have you in contention for a Superbowl for the next 10 yrs. My thoughts on steelbtexan post is that right off the rip, he can tell who is a Superbowl caliber qb. My pushback is you never really know. Classic example is Nick Foles and Flacco.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
He didn't lead his team to the superbowl, their defense and run game did. At every chance, shanny took the ball out of his hands. See, nobody, especially me have a problem with critic of Watson, my issue , if there is one, is Nobody knows what a Super bowl qb looks like straight from the rip. In todays modern nfl, it takes alot from the organizational standpoint and development of it. In my opinion, a superbowl quarterback can offset losses of players. Now at some point, the organization has to support every qb with talent. Tom Brady had a top 5 defense in New England every year except like 3 times. Peyton only had it like 4, Rogers like twice. Superbowl success has alot to do with support. Carson Wentz was on schedule to be MVP of the league, now we don't know if Philly wins the 1st game of playoffs without Atlanta being Atlanta. Nobody thought Foles would win a Superbowl. Flacco and Eli either.
steelbtexan said:
Yep, for those that said he didn't look great last yr. Look at the defenses he faced and the points his offenses put on the board.

North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Miami
Clemson
Northwestern

All had pretty good defenses and the only bad game Peterman had was against Miami. I see his floor as Schaub, and his ceiling as a very special QB. He's a good leader too. My #3 QB this yr behind Mahomes/Trubisky. With potential to be the best QB in this draft. I see Shanny picking Peterman at 34 and Peterman turning out to be another Ryan/Cousins.

Texansballer74

The Marine
steelbtexan said:

North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Miami
Clemson
Northwestern

This is hilarious.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When you draft a qb in the 1st rd, you're hoping he's going to have you in contention for a Superbowl for the next 10 yrs. My thoughts on steelbtexan post is that right off the rip, he can tell who is a Superbowl caliber qb. My pushback is you never really know. Classic example is Nick Foles and Flacco.
I know the 2 QB's I wanted the Texans to draft both played in the SB last yr with Garrapolo in his 1st full yr as a starter and Mahomes in his 2nd yr as a starter.

I do agree you never know, but you can get a feel for different QB's and how their skill levels may translate into winning a SB.

Wentz I was wrong on, (Wanted him) LJ I was wrong on (Didn't want him but now I think he can win a championship) DW4 (All signs point to him not being a SB winner after 4 yrs.)

BTW, Is the QB the leader of the team and did they make a SB?

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
BTW, history is repeating itself with the Dolphins getting 2 first and 2 nd Rd picks after a trade
That's a trade you've been highly complimentary of on the Texans part ....

Terrible trade , terrible contract. Great for the Dolphins ... those picks are looking better and better.
Couldn't have been much worse with Davenport at OT - they actually averaged more points with him starting than either year with Tunsil.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I know the 2 QB's I wanted the Texans to draft both played in the SB last yr with Garrapolo in his 1st full yr as a starter and Mahomes in his 2nd yr as a starter.

I do agree you never know, but you can get a feel for different QB's and how their skill levels may translate into winning a SB.

Wentz I was wrong on, (Wanted him) LJ I was wrong on (Didn't want him but now I think he can win a championship) DW4 (All signs point to him not being a SB winner after 4 yrs.)

I don't think the book is closed on any of those QB's .... Lj just keeps getting better and Garappolo is in the best situation possible assuming he's healthy & Wentz still has a lot of tools in the shed , his biggest issue has been health.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's a trade you've been highly complimentary of on the Texans part ....

Terrible trade , terrible contract. Great for the Dolphins ... those picks are looking better and better.
Couldn't have been much worse with Davenport at OT - they actually averaged more points with him starting than either year with Tunsil.
I still think Tunsil can be a foundational type player just not under Devlin. How many QBs got hurt that one yet with Davenport at LT? The next preseason he missed the block that caused Miller's knee to get blown up. I don't watch Miami but I will bet you Davenport is playing better there than he ever did in Houston.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
steelbtexan said:

North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Miami
Clemson
Northwestern

This is hilarious.

This needs to stop. steelbtexan is a member of this board & should be treated with the respect you afford every other member. While this may seem harmless, it's the constant barrage that he has to face, because his opinion does not match yours. We don't need to be digging up old posts & rubbing noses in predictions that didn't work out. Especially not to the point that another responds "This is hilarious."

I'm letting this stand, because I know you (76Texan) have to deal with the same thing in regards to Case Keenum.

steelbtexan, 76Texan, Texansballer74 be the bigger man & let's stop this bickering.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't think Flacco was ever the leader of that Super Bowl team. He was more of a role player. He had a string of amazing games... but I really don't think anyone thought of him as "the leader"

Just like Hoyer/Mallett/Fitzpatrick were never "the leader" of this team. Fitz may have been thought of to be "the leader" of the offense, but by the time he earned that title, BO'b canned him.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I still think Tunsil can be a foundational type player just not under Devlin. How many QBs got hurt that one yet with Davenport at LT? The next preseason he missed the block that caused Miller's knee to get blown up. I don't watch Miami but I will bet you Davenport is playing better there than he ever did in Houston.
Couldn't even beat out a former UDFA, Jesse Davis.

Might get to play this week due to an injury to their rookie LT

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

What it cost to get him and what it cost to keep him are far too much for what he delivers.

They could have drafted a LT in that draft or the next or gotten one via FA. 2 firsts a second and 22m per cap hit .... are too much.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I don't think Flacco was ever the leader of that Super Bowl team. He was more of a role player. He had a string of amazing games... but I really don't think anyone thought of him as "the leader"

Just like Hoyer/Mallett/Fitzpatrick were never "the leader" of this team. Fitz may have been thought of to be "the leader" of the offense, but by the time he earned that title, BO'b canned him.
What a joke of a post

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What it cost to get him and what it cost to keep him are far too much for what he delivers.

They could have drafted a LT in that draft or the next or gotten one via FA. 2 firsts a second and 22m per cap hit .... are too much.
In last yrs draft it would've cost them last yrs 1 and this yrs 1 to move up to get one of the top OT's and you have to deal with their inexperience, in addition to getting a less expensive yr last yr from Tunsil and protecting DW4 properly last yr. While finding out if DW4 can play with his blindside being protected.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
In last yrs draft it would've cost them last yrs 1 and this yrs 1 to move up to get one of the top OT's and you have to deal with their inexperience, in addition to getting a less expensive yr last yr from Tunsil and protecting DW4 properly last yr. While finding out if DW4 can play with his blindside being protected.
It's all about value. If you look at the TOTAL cost for acquiring Tunsil, he's not living up to that value. To be fair, it's impossible for anyone to live up to that value. Two 1sts, a 2nd, and ~20mil/year for the next 3 seasons.

If Tytus was playing LT, and Rodrick Johnson was playing RT, how much worse would our offense be? With what we gave up for Tunsil, you're looking at 5 significant contributors to the team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's all about value. If you look at the TOTAL cost for acquiring Tunsil, he's not living up to that value. To be fair, it's impossible for anyone to live up to that value. Two 1sts, a 2nd, and ~20mil/year for the next 3 seasons.

If Tytus was playing LT, and Rodrick Johnson was playing RT, how much worse would our offense be? With what we gave up for Tunsil, you're looking at 5 significant contributors to the team.
I looked at he trade differently, it wasn't fair to judge DW4 with Davenport playing LT, he just wasn't good enough. After seeing Tunsil protct D4's backside I just dont think D4's that good. I look as Stills and a 4th good as a 2nd. If they were to trade up to get 1 of the top OT's in this last draft they would have had to given up 2 firsts anyway. But they got a free yr and then had to spend the $$$$ to keep a top 10 LT pass protector at 25 yrs old. He should only get better with a better OL coach,he should only get better. Prime athlete yrs are age 27-32.