What's your plan for QB next season?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by xtruroyaltyx, Jan 14, 2017.

1. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Good for him, he should have done that long ago and then maybe after having spent time there, he'd be a more realistic option as a camp body. At this point, I think he's just a waste of snaps. We hear coaches complain about the amount of time they have with players, those TC snaps are valuable.

2. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

First of all, "Why the heck not" was the general mantra around the Osweiler signing, and see how well that worked.

For all the mediocrity and below average (or worse) QB play we've seen, there was never a signing that said "We're giving up on the QB position and allowing things to turn into a circus" like this one would.

For all the flaws Brock, Hoyer and Fitzy have/had, they were viewed as belonging in the NFL at the time they were signed. VY hasn't taken a snap in a RS game since the 2011 season. Since that time, the Bills, the Packers, and the Browns all signed him, and made the decision not to keep him on the regular season roster (Cleveland made the decision not to keep him for more than 2 weeks). VY is now a side show, and would be received by the other players on the roster as such. That's how things get worse.

Rockville and JB like this.
  3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

4. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Agreed, however, VY doesn't fit the "potential asset" qualifier.

Do not agree. It was really just the 2nd time in franchise history that they truly addressed the QB position. It didn't work, but it's not a careful what you wish for type deal.

Osweiler blows and if he never starts for this franchise again it'll be too soon, but I have no problem at all adressing the issue for a change. They missed. It happens because QB is so hard to find. Step back up to the plate and try it again.

And no, if you couldn't tell by my reply to the first quote, I'm in no way, shape or form suggesting giving VY a shot.

We really need to stop responding to these idiotic topics so that they just fade away.

JB likes this.
  5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Hey listen up fellas, Vince Young indeed was a terrific college QB and he also had a couple descent years in the NFL but those days are now long gone.
    Now people who come out wanting VY to play QB again in the NFL for the Texans remind me of Ed Emmett and his desire to resurrect the Astodome to its glory days.
    Time to give it a rest.

6. BigBull

BigBull All Pro

Troll thread of the year. VY no thank you.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

O'Brien will probably have Osweiler pick him up at the air port.

santo, False Start and 76Texan like this.
  8. banned1976

banned1976 American

Me too. And I think he's smart enough to pick up this offense quickly. Just don't use him as a place kicker holder.

9. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Not a chance.
    This offense is too complicated.
    :kitten:

Romo has been running the Air Raid; he's not as qualified as Fitz, Hoyer, Mallett, or Osweiler.
    He will be basically a rookie.
    Looks how long it took Savage; and he was yet to be ready.

:ahhaha:

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Tebow? Manziel? Can't dismiss potential assets, can we?

11. Shishkabob

Shishkabob All Pro

Peterman's arm just looks so weak when watching him throw I think it would be an issue in our offense. everything I see him throw a 10-15 yard out I just think to myself nfl CBs would be licking their chops at a ball that hangs up that long. he does a lot of other stuff fairly well, but he is probably better suited for a kubs offense then an OB offense

12. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Then, when the Colts pit their Houstonian QB against the Texans' Houstonian QB, we can look even more foolish.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Cant be worse that Brock .... Can he ?!

The fact that I didn't immediately dismiss this tells you how bad the Texans Quarterback situation really is ....... Desperation Much ?!

14. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Savage may have been and afterthought but, looking back at that off season, Savage and Garoppolo were the only 2 QB's that BOB had a personal workout with where he took them aside, after their Pro Days, and ran them through some drills to see if they could do what he wanted them to do. At the Draft I think BOB/Smith were going to take Garoppolo in the 3rd but that's when Belicheat beat them to the punch and got him late in the 2nd. So, after that BOB was left with Savage. Having said all this, I really believe it should give us some clues as to what kind of QB BOB wants in his system. Is Mahomes or Peterman that kind of QB? Out of those 2 I think Peterman fits better what he is looking for. My personal favorite is Evans who has the arm and mobility of Mahomes but is probably more refined in NFL skills and closer to Peterman in that regard, and really is closer to Dak than either of them. But, would BOB/Smith even think about drafting him? I don't think so. Like I said before in another thread, BOB is looking for Brady not Dak!

Texian and Texansphan like this.
  15. b0ng

b0ng Bad Hombre

So should we give every washed up QB a try? What's Jeff George up to these days? I hear Rex Grossman played in a Super Bowl once as well.

chicagotexan2 likes this.
  16. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 RickSmithSUX

Jamarcus Russell, Akili Smith, Joey David Carr Harrington. Seriously as bad as Brock is (and he is bottom of the barrel bad) VY is washed up. Good luck to him but I don't see him having any chance of getting ANY job in the NFL right now. NONE.

17. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Is there really a need for a separate THREAD on every QB that someone wants to entertain for the Texans. I believe there are already at least about 5. How about someone consider consolidating their thoughts in an existing thread like WHAT'S YOUR PLAN FOR QB NEXT SEASON?

xtruroyaltyx, Rockville and JB like this.
  18. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

That's the way I remember it and of the QBs I've evaluated I sure do like Peterman's footwork. He's light on his feet, ballerina like. You got to love the way the kid beat Clemson and Penn St. Quick feet, quick release and quick decision maker, all go together, all part of the package.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  19. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan All Pro

This thread does ask what we would do if we were calling the shots in regards to the QB situation. Before I go into a solution I would like to preface it with this thought, is O'Brien really looking forward to entering his fourth season as HC by running a dumbed-down version of his offense once again? My guess, probably not.

In all reality, this offense has too many moving parts for Osweiler, then toss in his horrible mechanics, ability to laser lock onto his receiver and then utilize his sun-dial wind-up to deliver a pass that a defender 15+ yards off the ball has time to react to is going to continue to lead to disastrous results. Does an effective OL and running game improve Osweiler? NO! Sadly, the team will be stuck with him for 2017 and the money he's owed is essentially going to remove all the wiggle room to obtain another QB for 2017. Worth noting, my guess is O'Brien wouldn't be any closer to opening his entire playbook with Brock under Center as he was in 2016.

Savage is Obie's only hope for 2017. Savage, according to O'Brien knows and understands his playbook. He will be playing his final season under his rookie contract and after that, it'll be anyone's guess as to what happens next. Will need to finish this later...big event getting started.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

OB needs to ask himself what's the best way he can win games.

If he doesn't have a guy capable of running his "system" then 1) he's got to take some blame for that and 2) he's got to find an immediate solution for that.

Corrosion, thunderkyss and JB like this.