What's your plan for QB next season?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by xtruroyaltyx, Jan 14, 2017.

1. bigmck

bigmck Veteran

Crennel is Asst Head Coach and Vrabel is DC. Will their jobs change or is it just a money thing with same responsibilities?

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Vrabel definitely isn't going to just be a LB coach anymore.

3. MistaRed

MistaRed All Pro

Me! I think he would be a great fit.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

4. Max

Max Veteran

I believe it was McNair who said RAC will be in the booth w/ a headset during games. I don't know that there have been any specifics announced on game prep role changes other than BOB and RAC will share HC responsibilities.

Story time -- I’ve got a cousin that’s coached in the NFL for 13 years and coached under Bill Belichick for one of them. I asked about BB and he probably didn’t tell me anything that we don’t know already, but the thing that stood out was him saying that what sets BB apart is his attention to detail. Clock management, special teams, 2 minute drills, specific game scenarios, etc. are all better prepared for and executed under him than any other coach he’s seen. My only point in bringing it up is the importance of a coaching staff focusing on the little things.

I don’t think anyone (including the coaches themselves) know how HC duties will be divvied up. OC is a full time job so something has to give. RAC has HC experience so maybe it will be seamless but it remains to be seen – he’ll certainly focus more on defense given his role last year and Vrabel’s inexperience. I’m guessing that their roles will evolve over the year and there will be a learning curve.

In the end, these changes may have been the only viable solution as I’m not sure BOB felt comfortable w/ any of the OC’s available and the offense should improve w/ him as coordinator. But I was hoping for a progression from BOB in the boneheaded stuff like clock management that we’ve seen. If this continues or even gets worse -- the culprit may very well be the shuffled roles and its effect on attention to detail.

noxiousdog and 76Texan like this.
  5. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I actually like having RAC in the booth helping Vrabel along. He's got a ton of experience and arguably nobody currently in the game will be able to deduce more from that view than him. Maybe, Vrabel calls the plays and RAC looks for patterns and sends that data down to Vrabel? It'll be interesting to see how this dynamic works.

powda and 76Texan like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I like the idea too .... should allow for quicker adjustments. No waiting for half time ....

powda likes this.
  7. watt99x99

watt99x99 Rookie

we have good enough defense to win it all even next yr. just need qb who can put some pts on the board. if we played like falcons in the first half we would have won that game just milking the clock. just draft 1st - 3rd with some free agent. last yrs signs didn't work again, but texans can't stop trying. bring in 2 new faces to see what texans get in the preseaon. pick best one. no more of this giant sign with no full season. if they were some big name yeah maybe.

really wouldn't mind AJ from bingles. just to see what ob see in him.

8. xtruroyaltyx

Did RAC say he was going to be in the booth?

If he did I'd find that kind of strange tbh.

9. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

Maybe, but id want him there for reviews if nothing else. Apparently, the texans have never hired one of those guys.

I want him in an overwatch position like that split from the distractions of the side line if he truly is an assistant head coach. I think its easier on Vrabel if they're not side by side because everyone will still consider rac the DC. Mostly, i want him to mentor vrabel from afar as necessary and provide game day quality control. In game management has always been an issue for us and i want him to fix it.

JB and steelbtexan like this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

What if Vrabel goes to the booth?

I'd find it strange for RAC to be a sideline DC and then go to the booth when promoted to assistant HC.

I have no idea if Vrabel is a booth guy or not, but I'd guess probably not.

And on Gameday the DC is mostly looking at the bigger defensive picture and calling plays. I don't think there's going to be any confusion by anyone.

11. Texansphan

Texansphan All Pro

You will see a big step up next year from Fuller and Braxton Miller.
    We just need to get our run game sorted out - it has kinda lost its way with no Foster.
    And the o-line of course.

thunderkyss likes this.
  12. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

I cant remember ever seeing rac in a booth. But if his job truly is assistant head coach he needs to be linked up with every aspect of coaching d-o-special teams. AND he needs to be watching for game management issues. Seems the best way to do that is a booth. I could be wrong. I dont know how the logistics work but i always assumed offenses and defenses had 2 radio channels and there is likely a 3rd "spare." Seems he should be in the crows nest next to people monitoring those channels, forwarding trends etc to respective parties, monitoring the opposing sideline, monitoring possible challenges/reviews, whatever. Purely speculation on my part and maybe all these things happen regularly on the sidelines without the booth. But it's my guess.

DocBar, JB and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. watt99x99

watt99x99 Rookie

rac is going to booth because he has more say in football team. also he will be letting team know what type of D other team is playing, so bill can adjust.

14. Max

Max Veteran

I thought I remember hearing it from McNair -- double checked and found this from his press conference last week:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1751853-top-5-takeaways-from-mcnair-talking-texans

Also, author's notes following Crennel comments:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Upgrade at quarterback is Texans' top offseason priority
    By John McClain, Houston Chronicle
    February 11, 2017

The Texans have a lot of priorities in the offseason, and none is more important than improving at quarterback.

In the draft, through free agency or by trade, general manager Rick Smith and coach Bill O'Brien have to find a way to upgrade the most important position on the team.

In O'Brien's first three seasons, the Texans finished 9-7, including back-to-back AFC South titles and a wild-card victory over Oakland.

Even though Brock Osweiler threw 15 touchdown passes and 16 interceptions and compiled a rating of 72.2, only four teams advanced further than the Texans this season.

It is interesting to note that since the merger of the NFL and AFL in 1970, only two Houston teams advanced beyond the divisional round - the 1978 and 1979 Oilers. Even the Oilers of the run-and-shoot era, with Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon, never made it further than the Texans this season.

Division catching up

Improvement at quarterback is essential for the Texans because the AFC South should improve next season. Only Jacksonville finished with a losing record in 2016.

Despite the Texans winning four of the last six division titles, expect Tennessee to be the sexy pick to win the AFC South next season.

The Texans have Osweiler, Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden on the roster at QB. Owner Bob McNair said last week the most likely avenue to pursue another quarterback is the draft - if they find a prospect O'Brien and Smith believe in.

The Texans have the 25th pick in the first round. Smith has done a terrific job of drafting in the first round, but this may be the year he has to trade up, even if it costs first-round picks this year and beyond. But that prospect would have to be special.

This problem has to be fixed. Obviously, the Texans thought they solidified the position last year when they signed Osweiler. But in his first season he didn't do anything to justify the four-year, $72 million contract.

Savage, who flashed against Jacksonville and Cincinnati before suffering a concussion at Tennessee, will be in the last year of his contract. As McNair pointed out, Savage has to be able to stay healthy.

So, once again, the Texans are in the market for a quarterback.

Let's look at the draft. It is too early to rank the quarterbacks in the April 27-29 draft, but these are the prospects who could go in the early rounds.

The top three appear to be North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky, Clemson's DeShaun Watson and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer.

At this point, the group behind them includes Texas Tech's Pat Mahomes, California's Davis Webb, Pittsburgh's Nathan Peterman and Miami's Brad Kaaya.

They can move up or down based on what they do in shorts and T-shirts at the combine Feb. 28-March 6, pro days, private workouts and in interviews.

The key, of course, is pursuing a quarterback O'Brien and new quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan believe they can develop and eventually excel in their system. They can't force it.

Salary cap a factor

Some veterans are expected to be available through trades or in free agency that begins March 9. Teams can negotiate with agents representing free agents from other teams March 7.

The Texans' salary cap will play a key role in what they do at quarterback if they don't find a prospect in the draft.

The Texans have $21.5 million of salary-cap space, based on a projected $168 million cap, according to spotrac.com. That doesn't include hidden costs such as draft choices, injured reserve, practice squad, etc.

That means the Texans could have about $13 million to use. The top priority in free agency is to re-sign cornerback A.J. Bouye, who is going to be one of the league's most coveted free agents after his outstanding season on the NFL's No. 1 defense.

When it comes to possible quarterbacks, a lot of speculation centers around Tony Romo coming to the Texans. Don't expect for them to trade for him because of his contract.

If Romo is released and becomes an unrestricted free agent, expect the Texans to check him out. To play for the Texans, he would have to take a huge pay cut.

If New England tries to trade Jimmy Garoppolo, who is entering the last year of his contract, calling the Texans would be an obvious move for coach Bill Belichick.

Limited trade leverage

If the Patriots decide to move Garoppolo a year before they could lose him and get nothing in return, they will want a first-round pick and more. The Texans have the 25th pick and figure to be somewhere in the 20s again next year. Belichick would want a No. 1 pick a lot higher than the Texans could offer.

Washington is expected to franchise Kirk Cousins again if it can't work out a long-term deal. If he gets the exclusive tag, he couldn't sign with another team. Without the exclusive tag, he could leave for a pair of first-round picks.

Jay Cutler and Tyrod Taylor are other veteran quarterbacks who could become available.

Do Cutler or Taylor float your boat?

Didn't think so.

Unfortunately for the Texans, a lot of teams need quarterbacks, including Cleveland (first pick), San Francisco (second), Chicago (third) and the New York Jets (sixth).

Of the 12 teams that made the playoffs, the Texans were the only one with a free agent at quarterback.

Five of the playoff quarterbacks were drafted in the first round - Ben Roethlisberger, Ryan Tannehill, Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and Matt Ryan. Two quarterbacks - Eli Manning and Alex Smith - were acquired in trades but had been first overall picks.

The other four quarterbacks in the playoffs were drafted in the second (Derek Carr), third (Russell Wilson), fourth (Dak Prescott) and sixth (Tom Brady) rounds.

This season's playoff quarterbacks combined to win 11 Super Bowls. And the lowest pick of them all is the greatest quarterback in history who will be trying to win a sixth ring after he turns 40.

The Texans' quest to solve this critical shortcoming will make thisa very intriguing offseason.

ObsiWan, thunderkyss and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  16. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

And with everyone knowing what they should do they'll probably go TE in the first round.

17. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

They will have much more cap room to play around with I can't imagine Newton, Bergstrom or Clark coming back and that is about 10 mil on its own.

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    Don't count on Clark being gone. We still need a swing tackle and he's the only other OT on the roster besides Brown with Newton being done. They will probably keep him until they know the draftee or signing will work out. Pretty cheap depth

19. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

As bad as he was, I agree to an extent. We have an alarmingly low amount of bodies at tackle. If we draft a few high, maybe we cut him, but I don't see us going that route.

DocBar, steelbtexan and JB like this.
  20. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame