Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's Wrong With Domanick Davis?

Looked like he was limping in the second half and then Wells was playing. Might be hurt again.

Dammit, you beat me to the "DD Post"! Anyway...

Well, DD didn't run too well today, and for the first time I can actually say that he is part of the problem. I've been really vocal about saying that it is the Line not opening holes for him, NOT DD. Well, I can't really say that this week. He was too tentitive in the hole today, which is odd because I've seen him hit the whole very well this year. I really like his shifty, lateral movement, but you've got to hit the whole first. He was shifting and moving before hitting the hole. He needs to start running right at the hole and then make cuts.

That all said, DD is still a threat coming out of the backfield. I've been pretty critical about us dumping the ball off to DD too often, but I really don't mind it when the ball is getting spread around to other guys. When you've got players like Gaffney, AJ, Miller, Bruner, Armstrong, and Bradford (5 guys that can all be depended on to contribute!!!), there is no reason that DD should account for 40% of your offense (like in the first few games of the season). DD should just be another option for Carr out of the backfield. No more, no less. You cannot be predictable and have linebackers waiting to make plays on DD whenever he catches a dump-off.

Plus, for a little guy, he is a GREAT BLOCKER. Usually, you really don't want these small RBs blocking for you, especially with big DEs and linebackers coming after your QB. But he just played fantastic in the passing game today. This gives him great versatility, as he can be a passing threat and be a pass blocker for Carr.

When all is said and done, I think DD is still a great contirbuter to our offense, and he is still our starting RB. I think he just needs some more repititions in the running game and get used to this "zone-blocking" scheme. Some sharing time between him and Wells would be good too. This will be a big learning year for him.

Also, I don't want to sound a little immature but it looked like we were kind of running a West-Coast Offense today! :woot Lots of 3-step drops, Carr out of the pocket, short passes, and Yac yardage for our recievers. Does that remind you of anything? :cool:

Its not his fault the jags defense stuffed the middle today, The problem with Davis is he had no where to run, I dont think any back would have gotten anywhere today against that d, Whats the jags running d ranked?

supertankman said:
Its not his fault the jags defense stuffed the middle today, The problem with Davis is he had no where to run, I dont think any back would have gotten anywhere today against that d, Whats the jags running d ranked?
Run to the outside. Oh wait. Davis doesnt have the speed to get to the outside...

Vinny said:
He is probably a 3rd down back long term for us. He isn't going anywhere.

I agree. He is a very good receiver and good blocker and will be a good #2 back but we need a real workhorse type RB (i.e. Duece, Stephen Davis, etc...) or course that is easy to say and much harder to get. D.D. is a good player just not a good starting running back. He and the Texans would be better served if he did not have to start.

i disagree i think D.D can still be our starter and our running game will be more affective as the year goes on. Jacksonville has a monster line and they arent easy to run against i thin he did a pretty solid job with what he was givin !

TexansTrueFan said:
i disagree i think D.D can still be our starter and our running game will be more affective as the year goes on. Jacksonville has a monster line and they arent easy to run against i thin he did a pretty solid job with what he was givin !

I like D.D. as a player (I watched him in college) but I think we will have to agree to disagree. Today Davis rushed 22 times for 56 yards thats 2.5 per carry, :um: not good.

I saw him take a shot to the leg in the 4th and he took himself out.

Jags are tough up the middle. DD wasn't going to get many yards today anyway.

aj. said:
I saw him take a shot to the leg in the 4th and he took himself out.

Jags are tough up the middle. DD wasn't going to get many yards today anyway.

he took himself out? sounds like he needs to learn how to play hurt. he doesnt seem to play throught those little injuries that other players play through. i think the fumbles early are still on his mind also.

Fiddy said:
Run to the outside. Oh wait. Davis doesnt have the speed to get to the outside...

Oh my God, how long will you be stuck on that, DD doesnt run a 4.4 put Hollings in the game mentality. He didnt have very many running lanes this game because the whole Jags defense line played well against the run. I still believe that DD is capable of producing the way he did his rookie year. He has just been a little dinged up.

he took himself out? sounds like he needs to learn how to play hurt
He was limping noticeably. You want a guy who can barely walk in the backfield with the game on the line? I don't. He's not durable. We knew that a year ago.

BuffSoldier said:
Oh my God, how long will you be stuck on that, DD doesnt run a 4.4 put Hollings in the game mentality. He didnt have very many running lanes this game because the whole Jags defense line played well against the run. I still believe that DD is capable of producing the way he did his rookie year. He has just been a little dinged up.
Did I say put Hollings in during my last statement. I havent metioned that Hollings should play since before the Oakland game. The ends on the Jags d-line werent having that great of a day and if Davis had some speed, you could of blocked down on the DE's and lanes on the outside would of been open. I am tired of Davis being dinged up. It is better for the team if he doesnt play dinged up than him trying to play because his 2.7 yard per carry average just isnt cutting it. Davis could run the ball 4 times and barely make a first down. I would rather have Wells at full strength than Davis at 99%. And can someone tell me when was the last time Davis wasnt 'dinged up'???

I'm of the opinion that DD's biggest problem today was the Jaguars run defense. They were closing holes quickly and there simply wasn't a lot of room to run out there. His second biggest problem was that he really wasn't the DD we've come to know and love. He might not be back to that until he gets some more confidence under him. What the Texans need is a game against someone who can't stop the run so that Davis can get himself going again. When he's playing the way we all know he can play then he can make extra yards and find the openings. Today there weren't many off them and the ones that were there he didn't see/pop through.

Hervoyel said:
I'm of the opinion that DD's biggest problem today was the Jaguars run defense.
I'd buy that if we played the Jags every week, but coming into this game Davis was averaging 2.9 yards per carry...and it dropped after today...

Has anyone mentioned DD's block that gave Carr time to hit Bradford for the first TD? Not sure if that even made it on TV but Carr doesn't throw that TD without DD's block.

aj. said:
Has anyone mentioned DD's block that gave Carr time to hit Bradford for the first TD? Not sure if that even made it on TV but Carr doesn't throw that TD without DD's block.

That was a great block...actually slowed down two defenders.

Fiddy said:
And can someone tell me when was the last time Davis wasnt 'dinged up'???

That would be preseason. :yap

I'm not giving up on the kid yet. He's holding onto the ball again, and that's step 1. Step 2 will be making moves like he did in the first 2 games, when his only problem WAS holding onto the ball. I still like the way they're working Wells into the game, just in case we have to make a permanent change down the road.

Wells couldn't get anywhere today either. Maybe the run portion of this new zone blocking plan hasn't caught up to level of the pass portion.

Just a thought. I'm definitely not an X and O geek.

Tulip said:
Wells couldn't get anywhere today either.
Perhaps turning around and running backwards as you approach a defender isn't as solid a technique as Wells seems to think it is.

aj. said:
He was limping noticeably. You want a guy who can barely walk in the backfield with the game on the line? I don't. He's not durable. We knew that a year ago.

actually i didnt see him. but he will have to start playing through bruises and and a little pain(all the other players do). carr and lefty both did today.

i think he has the talent to be our everydown back. but he has to want to play through some injuries. hes not breaking bones, hes getting nicked up and hes not playing through it.

DC_ROCK said:
I have six words for you. Texans number one pick, Cedric Benson. ...1,2,3,4,5,6...ok good.

I think I'd rather pick up Adrian Peterson in this year's draft after some "creative" changes on his records. 'Whats that Mr. Peterson?' 'You're 3 years removed from your graduating class?' 'You're 21 you say?' 'Well sure welcome to the NFL rookie.'

texasguy346 said:
I think I'd rather pick up Adrian Peterson in this year's draft after some "creative" changes on his records. 'Whats that Mr. Peterson?' 'You're 3 years removed from your graduating class?' 'You're 21 you say?' 'Well sure welcome to the NFL rookie.'

Na Benson looks good to me ! Texas has always produced very good running running backs and benson is looking pretty good i bet he will go fast and if we keep winning he'll prolly be gone before we get our first pick !

Benson will probably be gone, and I'm sure he'll be a very good RB. Adrian Peterson looks like a freak. In a couple more years whomever has a top 5 pick will have a shot at a great RB.

TexanExile said:
That would be preseason. :yap
Accually, Davis got hurt during training camp and missed the first two games of the preseason and came back against the Broncos and Tampa but was still a little out of sync...

I agree with texasguy346. We need to figure out how to get Adrian Peterson into this years draft. He is a stud. (And I am a UT fan)

As much as i dont have confidence in Davis to be the long term solution, I think Wells has shown something, and Hollings, a second round pick has yet to see significant time on the field. I'd much rather draft an offensive lineman who could really anchor our line, or a D lineman to sit and learn while Payne and Walker get older.

markbeth said:
i hope we dont draft a running back number 1. we need some d-lineman.

I still think we need a D Lineman too, but Payne has played much better the past couple games. He's gotten a good push up the middle, and Walker and Smith seem to be playing well too. It would be nice to have a good young DLineman, but I'm sure CC and DC will do what's best for the team. I'm hoping we don't have a replay of what happened to the Bengals DLineman against the Broncos OLine this next game.

I am not saying DD sucks or is a bad running back. But I will be willing to bet we draft high for a running back next year.

Its hard to say which one is more of a need. I feel that to get a great back, you must find them in the draft. While you can find a good dline man via free agency. Now im not saying you cant trade for a good back, but that would be more expensive.

#1 Draft pick RB
pick up NT in Free Agency
#2 Draft pick DL

Let me hit a few issues here

Davis has not been healthy since being in the pros. Had several injuires last year and always has a nagging this or that. For that reason alone he can't be the focus of the offense.

That said, Davis attempts to play through the injuries, but honestly he has too many. The reason he is not explosive is that he is not healthy, and unfortunately a year and half in I don't think he will ever be.

As for the draft, the only position that i am ruling out as first round material is QB. While DL seems the most glaring need, i expect that the Texans will be in a good position to go BPA and be able to justify taking any position where there is a potential "difference maker"

ArlingtonTexan said:
That said, Davis attempts to play through the injuries, but honestly he has too many. The reason he is not explosive is that he is not healthy, and unfortunately a year and half in I don't think he will ever be.

I think Davis could be healthy, if he were are 3rd down back and backup RB and punt returner. D.D. has skills just not the frame to be an everydown back. He is and can be an assest to the team just not in the role he is currently in. That said, IMHO he is the best we currently have.

im not 100% sure about this, but i think i heard that casserly doesnt like spending high draft picks on running backs. i hope thats true anyway.

imo a good offensive line will make a running back good. but even a great running back cant do much with a bad oline(barry sanders excluded). as our oline improves our running game will improve.

GeauxTexans said:
I think Davis could be healthy, if he were are 3rd down back and backup RB and punt returner. D.D. has skills just not the frame to be an everydown back. He is and can be an assest to the team just not in the role he is currently in. That said, IMHO he is the best we currently have.

I am speaking of Davis cast in the role of "feature back". In fact, he would have more of a chance if the Texans did not feed him the ball 20-25 times a game. 15 might work better. he is the perfect committee candidate.

ArlingtonTexan said:
I am speaking of Davis cast in the role of "feature back". In fact, he would have more of a chance if the Texans did not feed him the ball 20-25 times a game. 15 might work better. he is the perfect committee candidate.

I agree with you.

Vinny said:
He took Stephen Davis in the second round I believe.

S. Davis was a fourth round pick.

As has been proven over the last five to ten years, there is no need to draft a RB very high unless you are totally sold on him.

I doubt we take a RB high in the 1st round .. I am thinking we will look more along the dline given Walker/Payne's age ..

ArlingtonTexan said:
S. Davis was a fourth round pick.
Yeah, you are right.

The Skins only had one first day pick that year and it was Andre Johnson, T Penn State.

Back