What's up with our offense??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Aug 20, 2006.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

We didn't do any of the things we thought we would with our first team offense. No zone blocking with the run game. Actually all night, it was straight up hardnose running up the gut. there were no cutback lanes or any stretching of the offensive line. More traps, and one gaps and conventional run techniques.

And Carr was asked to work from a stationary pocket...... no bootlegs, no moving pocket.... no confusing the defensive line at all.

Because of that, I think there was definite pressure on the QB, and while I won't say David handled the pressure extremely well, he didn't look at all bad. there was no leaving the pocket early..... in fact, he might have stayed longer than he should have. But he stayed in and took some hits because he was looking downfield.

They Kept flashing to shots of Sherman on the sideline, and this "scheme" we ran with the first team was as anti-Denver-zone-blocking as I'd care to see us play. hopefully, Kubiak and Sherman got that crap out of their system, and go back to what we were doing last week & what they allowed Sage to do in the second half.

Anybody else notice this??

2. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

no I saw zone blocking and rollouts....

3. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I chalk it up to preseason. we aren't going to show everything and we are going to work on certain aspects of offense/defense

5. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

PRESEASON folks. Remember that.

This is not the time to belly ache/worry about playcalling.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I've watched the game twice...... there were maybe two or three zone blocking run plays, and they were in the second half.... if they were trying to do it in the first half, the OLine really screwed the pooch. The line was pretty stationary.

And David left the pocket what two times?? the one completion to Cook, and I think he threw one away..... was there another that I missed?? and were those rollouts/bootlegs, or broken plays?? I thought they were broken plays.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I see.... I didn't think asking why we aren't doing the things we said we were going to do in the preseason was belly aching.

Sorry.

8. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

9. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

It was said this would be stuff the offense would include. Not necessarily shown in each preseason game.

10. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

You do realize this is preseason right? And you are complaining after they rolled up over 150 yards on the ground, and after the best two offensive performances in our preseason history? They have already said they will use some man blocking techniques. They will not use 100% zone. Why wouldn't they work on them in the preseason? They also wanted to see him working in the pocket. This time of year is not about fooling the opposition, it's for working on your own game, finding the right pieces to the puzzle, what works, and what doesn't etc. Weren't you the one complaining they weren't blitzing enough? Hilarious. :francis:

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

#1..... we're going to have to define complaining.... my last post on blitzing, was that I've seen alot more blitzing these past two weeks than I recall ever seeing before...... If our offense was surprised to see the amount, of blitzing, and a few all-out blitzes at that...... then I don't blame them. This is the second week of the preseason.

#2...... I can understand working in straight-up run blockikng, & I expect to see a traditional pocket more than bootlegs, roll-outs, and moved pockets. But I was simply puzzled at what the offensive gameplan was with David in the game.

But when Sage came in, they allowed him to move around alot more, and give the recievers time to get open... or basically make some of his own luck.

I know there are some people praising Sage again this week, while condemning Carr..... if they'd look at how the game was played, Sage should have had a better game..... he was allowed move around, and freelance a little more.

#3...... I am not complaining about anything.... this thread was started, to ask a question, and discuss our offensive strategy........

I'm not complaining.

12. TransplantTexan1

TransplantTexan1 Rookie

1. I agree, not nearly as much zone blocking as last week or as we'll see during the season. Not sure why that is. May have something to do with the Wand/Spencer rotation. Don't know.

2. Not as many rollouts but I did see a decent number, roughly four or five, with Carr in the first half and even more with Rosenfels. I think the Texans (Kubiak and Co.) wanted to look more at the receivers and decided to emphasize a bit more drop back/playaction-drop back to throw that ball on more timing routes or quick posts.

3. Seems like we blitzed more with the first and second teams than with the third team. Might be a lack of complete confidence in the young guys trying to make the team, plus we have some injuries in the secondary to begin with.

13. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

No I saw it, there is not going to be holes everywere for rbs to run everytime, all there has to be is one good one and there was yesterday.

Dang Vernond, thats how you score on the goaline baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. GP

GP Go Texans!

I agree with the previous poster: We were working on timing patterns, quick hit plays, etc.

Perhaps the thing that has caused Denver soe problems in the postseason is that they are too dedicated to their zone blocking and bootlegs? Maybe Kubiak is trying to diversify the players so that we can adapt as needed.

I know this much: The Denver style worked a heckuva' lot better than the Green Bay style (in this game against St. Louis).

Did you see the highlights of the Denver game? They used the bootleg to perfection. Twas nasty.

15. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I kinda think they had scripted the first 15 or so plays so that they could work on some stuff that they wanted to see and according to our guys didn't spend much/any time on blitz pick up in practice or were gaming for the Rams to be blitzing a lot. Not sure why, it was in all the papers.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Every big hole Morency ran thru was good ole run blocking.... no one cut and go.... it was all trust the whole will be there, and follow your blocker...

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That may be....... I'm also thinking it might be seeing Lundy/Morency in traditional offenses....... Morency looked really good.

18. jdog

jdog All Pro

I think they were wanting to see improvement versus last year. Maybe see where the bleeding comes. See how Carr worked in the pocket. See how the RB's blocked. See how the linemen held up. If so, it sounds like there has been improvement.

I do not think they were trying to keep the zone blocking a secret. Everyone knows we are going to be zone blocking. They might be saying we can do both. If Denver is good against zone blocking and if Kubiak is investing a lot in beating Sherman, they might have been working on having alternatives.

Kubiak talks a alot about going with the teams strengths. Maybe it was a comparison to see if the team is better with this new scheme in a game situation. I did not get to see the game, but it sounds like the answer is no.

19. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

If you read Kubiak's presser, it appears that they are using the preseason to try different stuff out, instead of experimenting too much during the season. He doesn't talk about it specific to the offensive line scheme, but I am guessing it applies there too.

20. jdog

jdog All Pro

What do you make of the references to doing better on the front end? I did not see the game last night, and this issue actually relates to the topic too. Is he talking about Carr being nervous early in games or something?