Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Whats this? Respect? NO WAY!

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Texans.png

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16027068/resilient-texans-flying-higher-but-below-afc-radar

Halfway through the season, nothing much has changed in the NFL. Green Bay is still the team to beat in the NFC, while the AFC holds weekly auditions for its favorite.

For the moment, Baltimore is that club, thanks largely to the Ravens' two-game sweep of Pittsburgh, and it should be. But what about this time next month? I've heard people suggest the Jets, New England and Pittsburgh ... maybe even Buffalo? ... as possibilities before the season is over, but I'm still waiting for someone to come around to the Houston Texans.

So let me do it.

The Texans are off to their best start in franchise history, are a cinch to win their division and, like Baltimore, knocked off Pittsburgh. But this is what I like best about these guys: They can do it all ... run, pass and play defense ... and if you don't believe me, check out this week's numbers. They're eighth in overall offense and second in rushing. They lead the league in team defense, are fourth vs. the run, second vs. the pass, third in points allowed and fifth in the takeaway/turnover differential.

That's the definition of a complete football team, folks, and that alone should make them a factor come playoff time.

But there's something else. The Texans are on a three-game roll, and while that doesn't exactly make them unique, this does: They're doing it without their star playmakers on either side of the ball. That would be wide receiver Andre Johnson and linebacker Mario Williams. Williams is lost for the season, while Johnson hasn't played in over a month. Yet the Texans have survived, going 3-2 without Johnson and 3-1 without Williams ... and, yeah, that has my attention, too.

So does this: Some opponents accuse them of being "dirty" now, claiming they play outside the rules, and that happens when you're good. It doesn't happen when you stink. Look back at the Texans' history, and tell me how many times opponents charged them with being too rough or downright dirty. They didn't. That's because they weren't any good, so opponents didn't care.

Well now they do. And so should you.

:fans:

Great find. Thanks for posting that.

John Madden has always said that the key to getting to the Super Bowl is that you want to be on a roll at the end of the season and that way you roll through the playoffs.

This is going to sound strange, but I think perhaps the Texans could stand to lose another game between now and the post season simply because I don't see them rolling for 9 or 10 straight games.

If they lost to Tampa Bay or Atlanta, they could then roll the next three or four games of the regular season, then two through the post season, and---boom---they're in the big show!

Just thinking out loud....

John Madden has always said that the key to getting to the Super Bowl is that you want to be on a roll at the end of the season and that way you roll through the playoffs.

This is going to sound strange, but I think perhaps the Texans could stand to lose another game between now and the post season simply because I don't see them rolling for 9 or 10 straight games.

If they lost to Tampa Bay or Atlanta, they could then roll the next three or four games of the regular season, then two through the post season, and---boom---they're in the big show!

If the texans made it to the superbowl I'd cry.

They are playing good football for the most part. They deserve their due praise but the season is still young.

Yep. In every sport there's always a team that gains momentum towards the end of the season and swoops in and everyone is like, "Woa! Where did they come from?"

Happens in baseball and the NFL.

Also, enough with the respect thing already. A source at ESPN told me that today they were discussing the Texans on one of their shows, and one or two people were arguing that the Texans are the best team in the AFC because we're still winning despite losing our major play makers.

The media has always liked and respected us. We've just never delivered.

I don't think its out the question that they can run the table, unlikely yes, but with defense and a running game you usually get pretty consistent play week to week. If they can go on the road this week and pull out a W and get to the bye, then after the bye get Dre back, it wouldn't be the craziest thing. They have a pretty weak schedule so they could still lay an egg and beat some of these teams left on the schedule.

The media has always liked and respected us. We've just never delivered.

Agreed.
I don't think its out the question that they can run the table, unlikely yes, but with defense and a running game you usually get pretty consistent play week to week. If they can go on the road this week and pull out a W and get to the bye, then after the bye get Dre back, it wouldn't be the craziest thing. They have a pretty weak schedule so they could still lay an egg and beat some of these teams left on the schedule.

In this case, I'm worried about peaking too early.

Earlier in the season, I predicted 6-4 at the bye week and would have been happy with that. Now I want and expect nothing less than 7-3 at the bye. It's amazing how success changes your outlook on things.

Yeah, let's lose a couple games so we don't win 9 in a row. Wouldn't want something like a 9 game winning streak mucking up playoff expectations.

If I'm Kubiak, I tell the "kids" to not listen to a word of this because we haven't done anything yet. Our goal this year has been to take it one game at a time, then win the division, then make it to the playoffs. All this talk about being seeded #2 and having a homefield bye for the playoffs is a bunch of talk if we don't take care of our primary goals. As much as I love the fact we are being talked about, our team has yet to make the playoffs no matter how you spin it. Keep your head down and keep working.

Gotta' admit that it felt GOOD reading that article.

In the past, it was always "We THINK the Texans COULD be good this year..."

Now it's "The Texans ARE good this year..." and it's nice to see something positive written about us that has legs to it--Rather than preseason predictions, etc.

I don't think we're the best team in the AFC though. I think we could easily struggle against the cold weather teams up there in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England, Cincinatti, and even Buffalo perhaps. That's what worries me. We need home field advantage in a big way, IMO.

Here's to hoping we beat Tampa Bay and get to the byw week with no further injuries. :cheers:

Just to add since it's sort of on topic...(Although not about the article itself)

That show "First Take" on BESPN had Kordell do his top 5 AFC rankins. He had:
1) Ravens
2) Steelers
3) Bengals
4) Patriots
5) Jets

Then they did that stupid thing where Skip Bayless comes out to some dumb music and he "corrects" Stewart. He went over to go pick up the Texans helmet, and then left it there telling Stewart he had the right five. I wonder what he's gonna do when the Texans keep winning games and they continue doing this ****ty power rankings segment.

Meh!! I remain cautiously optimistic.

This Tampa game is a big game. This is the type of game the Texans have lost in the past. Punch Tampa in the mouth and go into the bye 7-3 rather than 6-4.

This Tampa game is a big game. This is the type of game the Texans have lost in the past. Punch Tampa in the mouth and go into the bye 7-3 rather than 6-4.

It's unfamiliar territory for me since the Texans are the only team I have ever followed in the NFL(So I don't know how to feel about situations this season since they're franchise firsts). But for some odd reason I feel confident about this one...more than cautiously optimistic.

You just came dangerously close to labelling it a statement game!

:overreact: I just accidentally labelled it a statement game! :overreact:

Its nice to see some love I am sure as the wins continue more will come. I think in a way it may be good for our players to have everyone doubt them, it keeps a chip on their shoulders. I have watched every game in Texans history and I am having more fun this year then ever before. Barring injury I expect the Texans make some noise in the playoffs. "IF" they get home field advantage this could be a amazing year.:koolaid::koolaid:

I was thinking GreenBay vs Texans last year.

While I think that would be a good game, they are the one team I don't want to see in the Super Bowl.

My brother is a big Packer fan (if he had the opportunity, he'd have been Brett Farve's concubine)... & he usually beats me in these kind of match-ups.

I would never hear the end of it.

Two weeks ago he was trying everything he could to get me to put on his Rogers jersey just so he could post it on facebook.

The only place better for the Texans to play a super bowl than Indy would be in Jerrah's place.

But honestly, we are getting a little carried away with ourselves, aren't we? LOL

The only place better for the Texans to play a super bowl than Indy would be in Jerrah's place.

But honestly, we are getting a little carried away with ourselves, aren't we? LOL

What he said, lets clinch the division first please

Enjoy the ride my friend, however long or short that might be!! Right now we have the #1 D in the NFL, and our O ain't shabby! I'll take whatever I can get from this team, and make the playoffs or not, RIGHT NOW, they are putting a big old grin on my face!! TODAY Nov 9th, 2011 I'm a happy Texan.

Enjoy the ride my friend, however long or short that might be!! Right now we have the #1 D in the NFL, and our O ain't shabby! I'll take whatever I can get from this team, and make the playoffs or not, RIGHT NOW, they are putting a big old grin on my face!! TODAY Nov 9th, 2011 I'm a happy Texan.

& that's what it's all about. Enjoy it while you can.

When I said we are getting carried away with ourselves, I should have included myself. I'm still a tad wary, but I've now reached the point I just expect them to be in the game no matter what, and we'll be watching them in the playoffs this year. Which is a far cry from how I started this season.

Instead of dreading the Tampa, Atlanta and Bungles games, I'm looking forward to them.

When I said we are getting carried away with ourselves, I should have included myself. I'm still a tad wary...

I don't understand this.

This is the NFL. We should enjoy the good times, & suffer the bad.

We've all had our share of suffering & this may be as good as it gets (just being honest).. If you don't enjoy this now, you may never get to enjoy anything.

Look at the Cardinals.

Well, in spite of what John Madden said, here's what happened during the final regular season games of the past five Super Bowl winners:

Green Bay had a two game winning streak heading into the playoffs. Before that, they had lost two in a row.

New Orleans actually lost the last three games of their season (after starting 13-0). Obviously the strategy of resting all your starters works.

The Steelers had won 5 in a row, but lost the second to last game of the regular season, and then won the final game.

The Giants lost two of the final three games of the year, including the final game. They were the wild card, so they won the Super Bowl as the final game in a four game winning streak in the playoffs.

The Colts lost four out of their final seven games. (including the Christmas eve miracle in Houston)

6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi

That was my biggest disappointment about last season. You have no idea how badly I wanted things to shake out that way for us.

Well, in spite of what John Madden said, here's what happened during the final regular season games of the past five Super Bowl winners:

Green Bay had a two game winning streak heading into the playoffs. Before that, they had lost two in a row.

New Orleans actually lost the last three games of their season (after starting 13-0). Obviously the strategy of resting all your starters works.

The Steelers had won 5 in a row, but lost the second to last game of the regular season, and then won the final game.

The Giants lost two of the final three games of the year, including the final game. They were the wild card, so they won the Super Bowl as the final game in a four game winning streak in the playoffs.

The Colts lost four out of their final seven games. (including the Christmas eve miracle in Houston)

6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi

I know W & Ls are everything, but just because a team lost doesn't necessarily mean they were playing poorly. The Steelers were playing their asses off Sunday, they just lost.

when you are a legitimately good team you get noticed and lauded...it comes with being good. Many of you guys have cried in the past about not getting respect, but come on, we were just so mediocre over the last decade...at best. Right now, we're pretty good. Hopefully we keep it up.

Let the past stay there, let tomorrow take care of itself, just enjoy the moment. It's the first time in a decade to feel this way, so have fun. This is what being a fanatic is all about.

:texflag:

That was my biggest disappointment about last season. You have no idea how badly I wanted things to shake out that way for us.

If the point was to stick it to Jerrah, then I think the Steelers and the Packers playing in a SB in his house made him cringe way more than if the Texans were there.

Let's just forget about that and see if the Texans can go 1-0 this week in Tampa.

I don't understand this.

This is the NFL. We should enjoy the good times, & suffer the bad.

We've all had our share of suffering & this may be as good as it gets (just being honest).. If you don't enjoy this now, you may never get to enjoy anything.

Look at the Cardinals.

Very, very good point.

OMG!! Do I dare dream of the PERFECT SB for ME!!?? Texans vs Niners!! I just might go into heart failure from PURE happiness!!! LET IT BE!!!:)

"When I find myself in times of trouble, Brother Cushing kills QBs..
Squirting blood like jism, LET IT BE...

"And in our hour of darkness, we'll be number 1 in the AFC...
That will be our answer, LET IT BE...

"And when the broken hearted Ravens, living in a sea of grief...
Die with all the Jets' fans, LET IT BE...

"For though they may be parted, there is still a chance the 'Niners peak
We'll see you all in Indy, LET IT BE..."

Let It Be lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
Lennon/McCartney

From Pat Kirwan this morning on NFL.COM

The Texans are dangerous

Most of the talk about the best team in the league centers on the Green Bay Packers, and deservedly so, but who is the second-best team? The 49ers have a good case, but in the AFC I like the Houston Texans. Their 37-9 Week 10 win over the Tampa Bay Bucs solidified my opinion that they are a very dangerous team ready for a deep playoff run.

The defense lost its best player, Mario Williams, months ago and is still the No. 1 defense in the NFL (the Bucs were held to 231 yards Sunday). The offense lost its best player, Andre Johnson, weeks ago and teams promptly dropped a safety in the box to stop the run game with no threat of Johnson.

It didn't work this week any better than it has in the past three. Add this week's rushing totals for Arian Foster and Ben Tate (30 carries for 147 yards and two TDs) to the previous two games and the top Texans running backs have 108 carries for 520 yards and five touchdowns.

Johnson should be back for the Texans' next game and I can't even imagine how explosive this offense will be as Houston makes a run for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Herm Edwards jumped into the set of Mike & Mike this morning and asked, Who's favored/team-to-beat in the AFC?

Mike & Mike both said Pittsburgh.

Herm said, Houston Texans. (Actually, he said You-ston.)

Holding his finger, If I tell you Houston, you better start coloring your Easter eggs!

Then he ran off the set.
lol.gif

Feels like they're circling us now boys..... like a pack of sharks.

Ever since they announced Schaub was hurt & Matt will be starting, I've seen more "Texans' Talk" on ESPN & NFLN than I have in the 10 years prior.

I've never been one begging for media attention, I understand how it works.. well, I thought I did, but we still haven't done anything yet...

But for some reason, Matt Lienart starting makes us "newsworthy"

I've been seeing lead stories 1) Peyton agrees for Colts to draft Luck, 2) Vick's ribs, 3) Is Sanchez good enough?

Back