What's our contingency plan at swing T

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nero THE zero, Jun 15, 2011.

1. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

For those that haven't seen it on Twitter, it looks like Rashad Butler wants out of Houston.

RB2cool Rashad Butler
    @
    @BrianaShani
    H town is not the same anymore to me!

RB2cool Rashad Butler
    Nation's Capitol!!! Where I wanna take my talents. twitpic.com/5bp4fw
    (Picture is a picture of a Redskins cap)

Cushing's response:

briancushing56 Brian Cushing
    @
    @RB2cool
    say something stupid like that again and I'll make you take your talents to a hospital bed. Your a #Texan

Butler's Response to Cush:
    RB2cool Rashad Butler
    @
    @briancushing56
    The new CBA will decide that!

I can understand why he would want out. He's good enough to start for someone, but you never want to see a good player go and the way he's going about it isn't really the classiest.

2. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

i guess he thinks he can start at RT for them.

3. indiantexan

indiantexan Veteran

Butler's not the sharpest tool in the drawer. I remember a while ago when he was tweeting about getting high on mary jane and I tweeted back to him to not be so dumb

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Can't blame the guy.

5. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Twitter is like a matchbook for Pro Athletes. They don't know how to keep quiet on business matters.

dc_txtech likes this.
  6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I like it. It allows the stupid ones to out themselves, so we all get to know for sure.

Does anyone know why Butler is saying that Houston is "not the same anymore"? Did something happen that we know about?

7. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Couple things about Butler:

-He's too cocky for his own good. He calls himself RB2Cool and has t-shirts/hoodies made with this logo on it to sell. It's actually pretty amazing to see a 2nd string offensive lineman think he's so marketable lol.

-Is his cockiness such a bad thing? Personally, I like that Winston and Brown had this annoying chihuahua nipping at them all these years, I know it's made them better players. I don't like when guys are comfortable with their starting position.

-Butler should feel this way. He's better than a lot of starting tackles in this league. In the NFL, nothing on tape is a secret and you can bet he and his agent have heard through the grapevine of possible interest from other teams.

-He's pretty much a goner anyways. He's going to be an unrestricted free agent when the CBA is signed most likely and the Texans won't get in a bidding war for him is my guess.

This brings us to the 6th round pick Derek Newton. His scouting reports read like a classic ZBS lineman - athletic, quick, and lacks bulk. His arm length is pretty short for a tackle (31") but he did start at right tackle 2 straight years and never played guard, so I assume that's his natural position.

My guess would be this guy gets coached up as hard as Butler was and gets the swing job. Cole Pemberton is under contract, but my guess is he's just a guy, not someone they ever plan on seeing real action.

8. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Yes, because:

There's a difference between cockiness and confidence.

9. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

But really who cares? Thanks to him for putting pressure on Brown/Winston every day he was a Texan.

10. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

Ok, I don't Tweet......

WTF is the # before everything all about.

# Texans

# Winning

WTF

:kubepalm:

11. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

The # or hashtag is a way to categorize the tweets. If you clicked the #Texans link it would list all the tweets with that hashtag.

Sometimes a hashtag is added as kind of a punchline to a joke...A tweet about Vince Young might be marked with a #sausage.

HTown2ATX and Texas T like this.
  12. Rey

Rey Guest

Butler is better than Winston IMHO.

13. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

ahhhhhhh....i see...thx....rep if it will let me

14. gary

gary Hall of Fame

he might be a good player but if he wants out and wants to be low about then don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Derek Newton

16. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

On Derek Newton's 2009 season:

Second Team All-Sun Belt Conference selection . . . Received the Gary Withrow Award as the Red Wolves outstanding offensive lineman of the year . . . One of the most consistent players on ASU's offensive line and the only ASU offensive lineman to start every game in 2009 . . . Helped lead the way for 21 rushing touchdowns, the third most in the Sun Belt Conference . . . Paved the way for three different ASU players rushing for over 100 yards in at least one game and was part of ASU's line that helped the offense to its most yards of total offense (484) against an FBS opponent since the 2007 season.

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=1514391

He was first team All-Sun Belt in 2010.

Quick scouting snippets from ESPN insider:

Pass pro: Can lock out and keep defenders off frame but hand placement needs to be more consistent.....

Run block: Drives legs and engulfs smaller defenders but plays high and could generate more push as a drive blocker.

Other notes...Keeps head up and can pick up linebacker when asked to combination block up to the second level.....Played with a torn meniscus and bone bruise in right knee in 2010....

His highest grade was in "toughness"

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27147/derek-newton

17. Texas T

Texas T Hall of Fame

I got 'em for ya. 'cause I didn't know either.

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think Butler is correct that Houston not the same and Newton may be why. Butler may feel Newton nipping at his heels this season as the starters felt Butler. Rashad is a good player & I was impressed at how well he replaced Brown. He is not the starter on this team. He better be hoping Snyder gets stupid one more time and overpays him.

19. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

In light of Jamaal Brown playing like ass at right tackle for the Skins last year and Shanny's knowledge of Butler's skillset, it wouldn't surprise me.

It's ironic because Butler's contract will be a reference point for Duane Brown's extension talks which should be starting any time now if it hasn't already.

"Well Rick, the Skins gave Duane's backup all those years this number, so we're gonna ask for this number." I don't want to see what that number is lol.

20. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

He tweeted that? He's lucky the league didn't see it and suspend him.