Whats better than 1 AJ?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by V3rm0nt3r, Oct 26, 2008.

1. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

I was watching the Texas Tech game yesterday when one of the announcers compared Micheal Crabtree to our own Dre, pointing out the similar build, versatility, and freakish athleticism that allowed Crabtree to spin off one tackler and bowl over a safety in the play before.

This got me thinking; if we suck something awful for the rest of the year (not something i or any other fan would want this) and we got a draft pick ohh i don't know around 3 overall (the similarities keep on coming) we could have THE BEST passing attack in football.

WR1 AJ
    WR2 MC
    WR3 KW
    WR4 JJ (3 million is a bit much to pay AD to be a 4th)
    TE1 OD (top 5 in the game)
    TE2 JD
    HB1 SS
    How easy would Shanahans job be?

2. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Nice thought, but I don't want us anywhere near that high in the draft. That would really suck a$$!

3. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

We could trade for it... :thinking:

4. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

No thanks, they would have to give up a lot and then have to pay top five money on top of it. For those reasons you really don't see too many teams moving that high up in the draft these days.

5. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Think we could get a 1st for Dick-wad Smith? :user:

6. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

AJ and MC would be great - but WR is one of our strengths, and our passing attack is already approaching elite status... we need defense far more desperately.

But yeah - the guy is a freak!

7. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Maybe he can play CB... I really should just give up on this thread...

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Pffft , you couldnt get an empty bag of chips for dick.

9. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

I bet Al Davis would give us something... maybe even Asmoguha...

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Maybe he'll play RDE , OLB , FS and RG ..... I'm in agreement , we should give this thread a rest.

11. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

It's getting posted every year. Every year it gets posted and every year I try to explain why this is the stupidest idea I've seen put up. Not this year. They're in the archives....whatever...you're telling me Kubes likes the guy from Illinois...he's there in the fourth and he wants to indulge himself with a project...Ok. You're Telling me he's going to take Tannehill of A & M late in the draft to coach him up for a Walter replacement in three years. OK. You're telling me the Kid from North Carolina looks spookily eerie similar to a mini Andre Johnson and the kid blows them away at the combine and they like the kid a lot during the interviews and they take him in the fourth, OK.

But there is no way in hades they are going into cap hell by paying two number one receivers. No f)(*&ing way. Why, because only an ignorant novice blogger would be so stupid as to suggest it. And Smith and Kubiack for all of their foibles are not stupid.

Sweet Jumping Jesus how much fricken production out of the WRs do you need ? Walter is at seven TDS now ? Wide receiver is not the problem. They've got four who can get open. And any way you want to slice it the month of October, A.J. put this team on his back and carried them out of the cellar. Any new guy you bring in means you're cutting one in August of Davis, Anderson or J.J.

IMHO, This is not a good idea.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  12. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Indeed. One need look no further than the Lions to see what happens when you blow tons of cash on a bunch of receivers. Plus, the advantage of having two great receivers just isn't THAT much more of an advantage over having one great one, and one really good one... AJ's not scoring a lot of TDs this year because they are ALL OVER him when we're in the red zone, which is making it look easy for Schaub to find KW, OD, and today - a ridiculously wide open David Anderson.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I coulda made that pass from the third row .... Anderson was similarly wide open on his other catch going across the middle ....

Mat Millen :spit:

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

posted this in the David Anderson thread, probably fits here too-

there is room here for an additional high pick.

V3rm0nt3r is a very insightful football poster here, I've read his posts & he comes with a players perspective. I'm guessing he is thinking about upgrading a compliment to Andre Johnson, not neccesarily with 1st rd. pick but with 1st rd. talent, the kind of talent the Texans don't have because they have traded away too many of their 2nd rd. picks. this year will be different & if the right value is there by all means you have to take a look @ upgrading even in an area of strength, back to bpa approach.

just so happens threetoedpete mentioned a mini-Andre (tate? torn acl could be available now in the 7th) from North Carolina. I'll tell you about another, his name is HaKeem Nicks, 6-1 210. IMO he is 1st rd. talent that could be available somewhere mid second when the Texans select (if he comes out early). Has nice size, NFL type body but what I love about his game is his ability to run after the catch, he possess the ball naturally/quickly with very large hands & excellent footwork (cuts/angles) does not waste energy or steps. this weekend Nicks had 8 receptions 139 yards & three touchdowns one rushing.

he is the type of player who would compliment Andre Johnson for at least the next 4 years, while not a Micheal Crabtree its not going to cost a high 1st rd. draft pick, sort of a compromise if you will that represents excellent value in the 2nd. rd. that could address what V3rm0nt3r is thinking to open up the secondary even more than what we saw yesterday.

15. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

What better than Crabtree even? One Julio Jones.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Dre (Andre Ware) made the Dre / Crabtree comparison several times while calling the Tech game Saturday...

17. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Yes and eleven was the main drum banger for a QB controversy before Sage made his infamous helicopter fumble.
    Take anything Andre Ware says with a grain of salt. They aren't going to pay two #1 receivers.

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

even if we sucked so bad that we hauled in the worst record in the league, the last thing we're thinking about is a WR.......Crabtree is a pipedream. Sorry to tell you this, but this team would draft S, LB, DT, DE, and CB before they ever dreamed of drafting WR.....that's atcaully one of our strengths

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

bpa is bpa if its a WR you take him don't look back & address needs later. I'm not in favor of using a 1st rd. pick on receiver but players like Crabtree & Julio Jones are intriquing to say the least. If things fall our way I would really like to take a shot @ Hakeem Nicks, WR N.C. in the 2nd rd. :tiphat:

20. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

If anyone, let's take Mark Hafner out of UH. He's good down the middle, and that's exactly what we do on offense.