What would it take for you to trade a QB?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by keyser, Dec 15, 2007.

?

What draft pick would be enough for one of our QBs?

1. 4th round or lower - get us anything

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. 3rd round

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Low 2nd round (pick 48-63)

11 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. High 2nd round (pick 32-47)

38 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. Low 1st round (pick 21-31)

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. Mid 1st round (pick 11-20)

11 vote(s)
    11.6%
  7. Top-10 pick

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  8. Even a top-10 pick is not enough

10 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

Edited to Note: This post/poll was resurrected from last December.

OK, this is mainly for fun.

We seem to find ourselves in the position of having two decent QBs - in fact, good enough that we might manage to get something by trading one of them. Obviously, it's nice to have two capable QBs and no one wants to trade one for nothing, but we'd also be stupid to turn down a Herschel Walker deal. So, the question is just what it would take for you to be willing to trade.

Just so this isn't a Schaub vs. Sage thread, just vote as if we're talking about trading the one you think is worse. And, just think of the "value" of a trade (an actual trade might involve multiple picks, or current players).

For me, it would take at least a high second-rounder, though I doubt other teams would be willing to give up that much. I say that since I think that'd be enough for us to get a good center prospect (or move up from wherever we are to secure a top-notch LT), and I think that would be of more value to us than having a strong backup QB.

2. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

According to this, Sage is locked up for two more years and Matt is locked up for even longer. I'd say at least two seconds. No reason to accept anything less at this point.

Things may change over time.

3. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

I'd want 2 second rounders.

4. euro-Texan

euro-Texan All Pro

Just for fun here. We gave up 2 second rounders for Schaub. A great, but unproven QB. You cannot say that about either of our QBs

5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Indeed. Sage has much more proof of his skills as a QB now than Schaub did when we traded for him. I would take two second rounders AND a decent starter at a need position.

Remember, if we trade Sage away, we not only have to replace him, but get additional value in return, otherwise its a very bad move.

6. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

JMO, but I wouldn't trade either QB. Both of these players have a tremendous upside and are just now getting to play on a regular basis. Both of these guys can work the pocket, read a defense, throw over the middle, make timely/good decisions, and have the respect of their team mates.

Certainly, we are going to have teams inquiring about our qbs because both have shown they can play. Sage has been injury free and accurate and has put the ball in the end zone, and--most important-has won as a starter.

Our next 2 games are going to be tough, regardless of who plays at QB. We do, however, have something 'big' on the line- win 1 game and we are no longer a losing team...win both and we are a winning team.

7. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

We have much needed depth and I would not trade that away at this time.
    :fans:

8. Scooter

Scooter Funky

as others have said, i'd also want either two seconds or a mid first round. there's not a lot of good quarterbacking in the NFL right now so both guys should be able to fetch a premium if we were to offer one up.

as we're currently witnessing it's important to have strong depth and kubiak/smith are doing a fantastic job of building depth on this team so i doubt either one go, but i'm confident that if we do trade one quarterback that we could fill the hole with a young guy that kubiak could game plan and be successful with.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

As stated, both of them are proven QBs. I might admit that it's worth it for a mid-first rounder, but I wouldn't actually pull that trigger unless I got a top 10 pick for it. They stay.

10. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

We're not shopping either, but if the mid-first round price is there, we'd talk.

11. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

I think we would regret any QB trade.

It would have to be top 10 for me and even then I'd have to put some serious thought into it.

12. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

A 2nd rounder would be hard to turn down, but in the end I like us having a good backup. Teams like Indy and New England are one play/injury away from turning into a really good team to an average to good team at best. If Tom Brady gets hurt tomorrow, are their chances to win the Super Bowl even close to what they are with Brady in? I'd say no and put Indy or Dallas as the front runner.

I like the fact that we don't really have a drop off when Sage comes in. Some would even argue that he is better than Schaub at this point in their careers. It's good that the QB position is not another question mark like it had been for previous 5 years.

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Where's the "When Hell freezes" option in the poll?

14. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I heard Atlanta was looking for a QB.

Maybe we can trade one of them for two 2nds and swap 1sts.

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

How about we look at this way: one could make an argument that our 2
    most valuable players, on offense at the very least if not the whole team, would be Matt & Sage. Now how much is that "back-up" QB worth ?

16. adam

adam Guero

I wouldn't mind getting a 2nd rounder for Schaub.

17. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Yep! Ask the Cowboys how important it was to have Steve Beurlein step in when Aikman went down years ago.

18. False Start

False Start On # 69

I went with option 4 . I think Sage is worth that . If he continues to play the way he has his stock may rise . Just my two cents .

19. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Just noticed I didn't vote yet, so I voted none of the options are good enough. Just remember folks, no matter your opinion of either Schaub or Sage or their status, Sage is one of the best backups in the league. If we trade him ('cause Schaub isn't going to be traded under any circumstances) we then have to get a good backup QB and then something more out of this trade. Without the something more what's the point of the trade?

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

no kidding...it took us 5 years to get decent quarterbacking around here and you just can't win consistently in the NFL without a decent QB.....if one guy goes down this team still has a viable offense.