What we need to draft and how many years it will take

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Rightnow, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

07 Draft (Assuming DD is not coming back.)
    These are in no particular order, it would be the best available from these positions:

SS
    FS
    LB

Then:

RB
    WR
    CB
    OG/OT
    C

08 Draft (assuming we got what we needed in 07)
    These are in no particular order, it would be the best available from these positions:

DT
    LB
    CB

Then

OT/OG
    CB
    WR
    LB

If all goes well we can be a playoff competitive team by 2009. Three years out. Yes, three years out. Assuming that DC isn’t replaced or killed by sacks we won’t need another QB. Or safeties are literally killing our chances at winning games. They are terrible. Or LB core except Ryans is inept and slow—we need a LB that can rush the passer. We have to pick up some later round picks on the O-line since some of our guys are getting old and we need more depth. We need a third WR. We need another CB, but if we get some stud safeties next year we can fake it. We will need near perfect drafts to be playoff ready by 2009, if we blow some picks it will be 2010 and beyond.

Yes, we are really that bad and the whole team is going to be rebuilt.

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

2007 we make the playoffs.

Next year we draft CB, S, RB, LB , OL, WR.

We are right on schedule.

3. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

I agree. If and that is a big if, we get some stud RB like Adriann Peterson, it would help us out a great deal. Then Def the rest of the draft as far as I am concerned.

Looks like we are gonna have to put a system togeather and just flat out outscore Indy. I don't know that anyone can stop them when Manning is hot...

4. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Secondary and RB are clearly our two biggest needs next draft. I'm still concerned about LB, but I think Ryans, Greenwood, and Orr are about average as a group.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I love Peterson, but just do not see us drafting that high to get him. There is always value to be found in the 2nd through 4th rounds to get a back.

CB and S have been issues and will be issues and must be addressed. I do not see this unit getting better. The first change should be getting rid of Hoke.

6. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

We are going to have to start drafting O players with the 1st round instead of D players if we plan on getting to that next level. We cannot continue to try and hold a team if we want to get to the dance. If and when Super Mario becomes Super, it will take allot of pressure off of the D Backs. They cannot continue to run around back there all day trying to cover so many weapons...

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Don't forget there is such a thing called "Free Agency." With Wade, Smith, Walker, etc gone, we will have a lot of room soon

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If Keith's projections are right at HPF I do not see us resigning many Texans back next year and using a good portion of that projected 14.5 million cap room on one impact Defensive secondary player.

Do not forget we add Wong, Mathis, Dom Davis and Spencer back later this year and next year.

9. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I think we need to go defense. We have drafted that way and I think we are missing a few key players that can make us a top tier defensive team in the league once we get the new scheme down. Everyone knows that defense wins championships. I think our offense can be sufficient enough, once we learn the system as well, to put up around 14-25 points a game and if our defense can stop some teams, we could win some key games down the road.

10. yourfavoritetexan42

yourfavoritetexan42 Veteran

we need to draft tom zbikowski out of notre dame for our secondary, he is a punisher, a huge playmaker and a leader, exactly what we need in the secondary. with him and earl back at safety I would say our defensive backs could start making some plays.

We need to keep dunta and earl at d back...and give pbuch is chance at corner...but man...cc brown.... i gave him a nickname

Big Play Brown...because everytime there is a big play, its right over his head.

11. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Greenwood is an average plus Weakside LB
    Ryans is a good to great Middle LB
    Orr is the weak link. One tackle for a Strongside LB in two games is flat out terrible.

We need to draft an SLB, and at least 3 DBs next year.

12. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

It's 08 for playoff run at the very earliest. Even if we drafted two stud safties, a great OLB and a CB it takes at least a year before the safties and CB can be truly effective in the NFL. Dunta is about as good as they come and even he was benched a couple of times in his rookie year.

I can see us getting a good LB in free agency. They are easier to come by than safties. We will probably have to go to the draft if we want really good safties. The safties we have now will make excellent backups, but they aren't starter material.

Kubiak has a long road ahead of him. I hope that the Houston fan base doesn't grow so discouraged that they stop showing up completely.

13. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Maybe we should wait on Orr before we put him out of your misery. He was possibly our best defensive player last year and just like everyone else is adjusting to a new system.

http://yeee.football.sportsline.com/players/playerpage/396874

Shantee Orr corralled 7.0 sacks, 38 solo tackles, four forced fumbles and two pass deflections in 12 starts in 2005.

14. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Don't get me wrong I like Orr, but I think he is a great Special Teams and certain spots player (like 3rd down blitzing off the edge). I just starting to wonder if he can play every down.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I do not believe there is any worry of that, save for the vocal minority. Football fans like football, but prefer good football which we can get almost any day of the week these days. In the interim some of us who know how to surf the net prefer to engage in online banter as we wait for our Texans to turn the corner. It will happen and when it does it will be very sweet.

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Man, Orr hardly played this past game due to the nickle D and ya'll are bagging on him. What's up with that?:spy:

17. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

I don't know about this...maybe I'm missing something, but when your defense gives up 43 pts/game, you're not going to win many of those.

And, while I agree that Dline pressure on the QB has an affect on the DBs, it was also evident in the Colts game (as if we didn't know already) that we need a better FS. It works both ways. The secondary has to cover the opposing WRs at least long enough for the Dline to get out of their stance (a little sarcasm.) The Dline never even had time to apply pressure before Manning had taken a 2-3 step drop and quickly fired the ball to "X" receiver who had just burned CC Brown. When the Dline has two seconds to sack the QB or you give up a monster gain over your safety's head, you're not going to get many sacks and/or QB pressures....and you're going to give up a LOT of points. See exhibit A (Game1) and exhibt B (Game 2).:twocents:

18. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Fine I will give him a pass against Indy, but that still only gives him one tackle against Philly. It is not that I don't like the guy, I do. I think his is a high energy player and is a player we need to keep for specific down and special blitz packages. I think he might not be a starter or everydown player at that position.

19. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

You know who we should go after this off-season. Lance Briggs, the guy would really help our linebacking group and would give us a little more manuevering room for the draft. Maybe I'm being a dreamer, but I think if we got Briggs and drafted a top FS (Laron Landry anyone) in the first or hope someone's available in the second. (Crosses fingers Merriweather) then that should really help our Defense.

20. mikoto

mikoto Rookie

'07

CB
    FS
    Interior OL

Then:
    BPA
    "
    "
    "

'08

OT or DL (depending on development of Spencer/Winston)
    LB
    BPA

Then:
    BPA
    "
    "
    "