Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What type RB do you like?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I realize that other players on a team such as the Oline determines how a running back performs. What type RB do you prefer to watch? A strong bruising type with some speed like Earl Campbell? A gazelle like Gale Sayers? Or do you like a Jim Brown or Walter Payton? A back that can catch a pass can also be awesome to watch. Don't focus on what team he ran for but use a criteria that you want to keep him as long as possible and what will generate fan support. All backs past and present or college can be your pool to select from.

I realize that other players on a team such as the Oline determines how a running back performs. What type RB do you prefer to watch? A strong bruising type with some speed like Earl Campbell? A gazelle like Gale Sayers? Or do you like a Jim Brown or Walter Payton? A back that can catch a pass can also be awesome to watch. Don't focus on what team he ran for but use a criteria that you want to keep him as long as possible and what will generate fan support. All backs past and present or college can be your pool to select from.

My favorite back in the league right now is All Day Adrian Peterson. I see him similar to Earl, but maybe a little faster. Only problem with guys like him is that they fight for every yard and possibly get hurt a lot. Man I wish we would have traded up for him some how.

Barry Sanders.

I used to love seeing him run. Sometimes the man would create something out of nothing. It was amazing what he did considering the lack of O-line he had.

The perfect back would have the speed to outrun anyone, the gumption to run over anyone and the moves the to tie them all together and make people look silly of the field.

I miss Barry Sanders though...

I loved Walter "Sweetness" Payton. He performed at a high level even on some very bad teams.

Next would have to be Marcus Allen.

I like someone who can turn nothing into something. I loved watching Barry Sanders growing up and Marshall Faulk after Barry was gone

Earl Campbell. Finess backs are great and you love to see the Barry Sanders Gayle Sayers type elusive speed demons, but on 3rd and short or on a goal line situation, give me a guy who can knock a couple of 300 pound guys back a yard or two.

Earl, of course. But I also loved Emmitt Smith. The guy would bang and bang and bang and then break one. Unlike Barry Sanders, who got a lot of runs from -1 to 1 yards long, Emmitt moved the chains and I like that in a back.

Oh, did anyone see the interview with Eric Dickerson on ESPN when they asked him who his favorite running back from the state of Texas was.

His answer?

Earl.

My favorite RB is slowly becoming Brian Westbrook. He is a threat every time he has the ball. After him would be Walter Payton. Emmit is hard to lump in with some of these guys because he had such a good oline. None better than what he ran behind. Oh yeah, Earl Cambell = Jesus

ive been watching adrian peterson his whole career, i was at baylor every time we played him at OU and he always destroyed us, ive been on his bandwagon since his day 1 in college, im only 20 so i havnt seen some of the old guys except in NFL films, but i loooove watching this linebacker run the ball....... he so quick and its like the defense isnt there he just hits it and goes north-south, peterson is my favorite back and if you saw what he did to baylor his years in college youd know........

Earl.

Secondarily, a Brian Westbrook type (or Dom Davis, circa 2004), who is a shifty runner, catches out of the backfield, and always seems to get first downs.

But that would be second fiddle to Earl.

I like Brandon Jacobs for the NYG, even though I'm not fond of the Giants (except this coming weekend).

Earl.

Secondarily, a Brian Westbrook type (or Dom Davis, circa 2004), who is a shifty runner, catches out of the backfield, and always seems to get first downs.

But that would be second fiddle to Earl.

I like Brandon Jacobs for the NYG, even though I'm not fond of the Giants (except this coming weekend).

QFT...... across the board.

Right now, I would settle for a guy that knows how to mix in a salad and stops after his second plate at the All-u-Can Eat Buffet. :splits:

LT is my favorite RB and type of RB.........smart, fast, quick, powerful for his size, has that mean stiff arm, and is totally a class act. He can break one on any run, but also seems to find a way to get that needed 1-2 yards if called on.

reggie bush :)

While you're playing, that is the type of back i like to watch, although a better version of this type would be Brian Westbrook. Smooth running motion, speed to burn & can snap an ankle. Just a great all around back.

RB may never reach that pinnacle but there's no doubt he's got the tools to get there.

While you're playing, that is the type of back i like to watch, although a better version of this type would be Brian Westbrook. Smooth running motion, speed to burn & can snap an ankle. Just a great all around back.

RB may never reach that pinnacle but there's no doubt he's got the tools to get there.

I believe he was being sarcastic. :thinking:

I've seen a lot in my 55 years. I could probably list at least 10. But, my two favorite would be:

1. Earl of course

2. Larry Czonka

Gotta go with LT. Has the power, the speed, the hands, and the vision.

AP is pretty close too.

For me it's always been Barry Sanders.

When I was a kid it was guys like Wilbert Montgomery, Chuck Foreman, Calvin Hill, even Rob Carpenter. I remember being really upset when he went to the Giants. These guys didn't kill in the numbers department, but when they ran, I watched.

Earl, of course. But I also loved Emmitt Smith. The guy would bang and bang and bang and then break one. Unlike Barry Sanders, who got a lot of runs from -1 to 1 yards long, Emmitt moved the chains and I like that in a back.

I would think that a RB that averaged 5.0 yards per carry for his career (Sanders) would have moved the chains an awful lot.

I would think that a RB that averaged 5.0 yards per carry for his career (Sanders) would have moved the chains an awful lot.

Well, there's also the argument that the back who amassed more runs for negative yardage than any other in history might have stalled a few drives, too. Just sayin' ......

Averages can be deceiving, although they're not in this case.

If you have a guy that has 19 1 yard runs and then 1 81 yard run, you get an average of 5 yards per carry. OTOH, if you have a guy with 19 4 yard runs and 1 24 yard run, you still get a guy with a 5 yards per carry average. Both guys ran 20 times for 100 yards but the guy that's getting 1 yard runs is killing your drives while the guy getting 4 yard runs is moving the chains.

I would choose the second guy over the first... and that's Emmit over Barry. Barry was a great running back. He was fun to watch but I'd take Emmit every time.

Averages can be deceiving, although they're not in this case.

If you have a guy that has 19 1 yard runs and then 1 81 yard run, you get an average of 5 yards per carry. OTOH, if you have a guy with 19 4 yard runs and 1 24 yard run, you still get a guy with a 5 yards per carry average. Both guys ran 20 times for 100 yards but the guy that's getting 1 yard runs is killing your drives while the guy getting 4 yard runs is moving the chains.

I would choose the second guy over the first... and that's Emmit over Barry. Barry was a great running back. He was fun to watch but I'd take Emmit every time.

Not to take anything away from Emmit, he was a great one. I could have run for a few yards behind those bull doozers of an O-line. (but that is a main part of that never ending arguement, what would have Barry done behind that O-line)

Personally I loved watching Erik Dickerson running (at SMU and in the NFL), but hated to listen to his nonsense about his contracts and stuff. Adrian Peterson reminds me a lot of him, tall, powerfull back with the speed to take it to the house.

Today LT

All Time Sweetness was the greatest all around back that I have seen, & I grew up idolizing EARL.

All-Time, Barry Sanders. Lately, the running back I like the most is DeAngelo Williams. The way he ran the ball...beautiful. Just like Barry.

I gotta admit though, I'd love to have Maurice Jones suit up for us.

Emmitt Smith and Adrain Peterson. I am also quite impressed in how well MB3 is developing.

Ronnie Brown. big, fast, big burst, deceptively elusive, catches the ball better than anyone, blocks better than anyone.

MJD.

Not the fastest back..but fast.. not the most shifty back..but still elusive. Good vision, good ball control.. and all of that coupled with a great deal of power and the ability to break tackles.

Hes my favorite back right now. A close second is Adrian Peterson.

No one can beat Earl though.

call me a homer, but the type of RB i like is big and speedy and elusive and can do everything. there's only one player like that in the NFL right now and it's Ronnie Brown.

Just messing with you, Ronnie Brown is a good back, just can't stay healthy.

yeah it is tough to stay healthy when someone falls on your leg from behind and tears your knee up.

speaking of which, congrats to Houston for getting Alex Gibbs.

yeah it is tough to stay healthy when someone falls on your leg from behind and tears your knee up.

speaking of which, congrats to Houston for getting Alex Gibbs.

Thanks, don't know much about him other than a few things and everyone seems to love the move. How do you think we're looking for next year?

If I'm watching highlights give me Barry Sanders, genius in cleats with his vision, footwork etc.

If its my team on the other hand give me a guy that runs north/south, puts a lick on the defense and has a chance to break one long every now and then. Jamal Lewis in his prime is a back that I liked. Big, savage and just enough speed to get away every now and then.

Earl. The reason I became an Oilers fan and the kind of back I'd want to be the workhorse.

Secondary back:
Payton.
Sanders. No brainer.
Robert Smith. The guy was smooth and effortless.

Earl probably number one. But that's the trendy answer.

Christian Okoye AKA the Nigerian Nightmare. This guy absolutely punished defenses for trying to tackle him. His career was also pretty short like Campbells from taking all of those hits.

I would like a Walter Payton type, because he can do everything. Run over and around defenders, catch the ball and block. LT is probably my favorite rb, of current players. I also like Jacobs of the Giants, he won't outrun the defense but damnit if he can't run over some people. Oh yah, I'd take Bo Jackson as well.

Back