Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What Team Is One Draft Pick Away From Contention?

i am definitely in favor of the trade down for more picks philosophy. with rick smith, alex gibbs and gary kubiak running the draft i think anything to get more picks and more options increases our chances of success. i DON'T thing we're one pick away from success. i would agree that we are one good DRAFT away. and i think the more chances you give those three guys to hit oil, the more oil they hit.

especially in this supposedly talent rich draft that we have this year.

p.s.

i think y'all should consider changing smithiak to SMIGGSIAK. you're nuts if you don't think alex gibbs is going to have a profound influence on their decisions.

all in favor?

p.s.

i think y'all should consider changing smithiak to SMIGGSIAK. you're nuts if you don't think alex gibbs is going to have a profound influence on their decisions.

all in favor?
Absolutely not. This is a Smith and Gary Kubiak team. Gibbs is a valued employee and contributor with good teaching skills. He will be listened to but Kubes and Smith make the decisions.

when people say we need a rb i cant help but think they don't know much about the texans

My thought is the difference between we need a RB and we NEED a RB.

I think the Chris Brown signing pushed us back drafting RB til 3-4th. A guy like Allen Patrick, Dantrell Savage, or Tashard Choice would plug and play nicely.

In the past we might've been looking for that ball hawking FS but I don't think this staff places nearly a high importance on the rangey type. I'd expect we'd stick with Demps and either Earl or Brown as the starter at SS where the the later two belong. Very curious to see what a healthy Brandon Harrison brings to the table. I'd love to see us take a flyer in the 4th or 5th on Blake from TCU and have the possibility of getting a presence across from Mario regularly.

I'm expecting zone secondary this next year and hopefully Smith being more agressive earlier in the year in getting pressure one way or another with the front 7.

My thought is the difference between we need a RB and we NEED a RB.

I think the Chris Brown signing pushed us back drafting RB til 3-4th. A guy like Allen Patrick, Dantrell Savage, or Tashard Choice would plug and play nicely.

In the past we might've been looking for that ball hawking FS but I don't think this staff places nearly a high importance on the rangey type. I'd expect we'd stick with Demps and either Earl or Brown as the starter at SS where the the later two belong. Very curious to see what a healthy Brandon Harrison brings to the table. I'd love to see us take a flyer in the 4th or 5th on Blake from TCU and have the possibility of getting a presence across from Mario regularly.

I'm expecting zone secondary this next year and hopefully Smith being more agressive earlier in the year in getting pressure one way or another with the front 7.

I think that the way that Smith/Kubiak handle the offseason is that they try to acquire certain offseason free agents such that they can take the best player available in the draft and do not have to reach for need.

So, Chris Brown doesn't preclude taking running back high if the best player available is located there. Just as Reeves doesn't preclude CB, etc.

If an unexpected guy is still available at #18, and the Texans value him high, they will want to take him no matter who they acquired in free agency.

I think that the way that Smith/Kubiak handle the offseason is that they try to acquire certain offseason free agents such that they can take the best player available in the draft and do not have to reach for need.

So, Chris Brown doesn't preclude taking running back high if the best player available is located there. Just as Reeves doesn't preclude CB, etc.

If an unexpected guy is still available at #18, and the Texans value him high, they will want to take him no matter who they acquired in free agency.

Agreed for the most part. I'm just equally saying I think Brown getting signed makes the decision easier far value goes IMO. If Mendenhall fell that'd be one thing but for me the shelf life of a RB isn't nearly as long as CB or T.

As usual there will be someone jumping into the top 15 unexpectedly that will cause somone to drop. The front office has done a great job of giving us draft flexibility.

IMO Thomas Brown would be agreat choice in the 5th rd. Vermiel really liked him @ the East West Shrine Game.

That's if they decide to go in that direction.

Personally I want to see them take BPA, but if all things are eaqual I would like to see them draft defense. Minus LT.

I feel very comfortable with the draft being in Smithiak's hands, as opposed to what went on with the CC regime.

I almost get the giggles when I hear "Draft Expert Charlie Casserly" on tv. Then you see the caption below "Texans GM 2000 - 2006" and you realize it wasn't a bad dream afterall.

I almost get the giggles when I hear "Draft Expert Charlie Casserly" on tv. Then you see the caption below "Texans GM 2000 - 2006" and you realize it wasn't a bad dream afterall.

yeah and now its being spun that he chose Mario over Bush. McNair and Kubiak chose Mario over Bush, not Casserley. In fact, after the draft Casserley said he had Bush as the #1 rated player on the board, after the fact. Now he wants to take credit for it now that it looks better. Screw Cass. The only reason he announced the pick was because McNair didn't want to fire him before his big NFL Executive position interview because McNair wanted a friend in the NFL hierarchy and wanted Casserley to save face so he could possibly get into the NY offices...of course, he was not chosen for the position and has been unemployed ever since. Real 'experts' don't stay unemployed long, in fact, they are normally picked up ijmmediately.

The only thing he was an expert at was giving away picks, making reaches on scrubs, and acting like he was smarter than 'joe fan'. Total prick and his interviews were normally about as abrasive as his cratered face.

So true

How he still has a job talking about football is beyond me.

People on this board have a higher football I.Q. than CC.

The fact that he was always kissing up to the league office & didn't get the job with them humors me.

As much as the Texans would love to trade down its only going to happen if someone very coveted falls into their lap (Williams out of Vandy, Clady, Rivers, etc.) and then the Texans would have to consider drafting the player themselves.

There's also the reality of having few realistic trading partners, and they would have to covet said player. Different teams will assign players different values, and thus this is not entirely accurate, but if we're following the draft value chart,
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html
if we want to stay in the 1st round and get a 2nd rounder, we're looking at late picks in both rounds (Cowboys, Packers, Giants, discounting Indy and Jax), making it less likely the Texans could get someone they grade as a 1st rounder at a position of need; i.e., they likely miss out on the CBs and LTs and end up "reaching."

For a 1st and a 3rd only Washington, Pittsburgh, and Seattle yield near equal value. Barring a rare three-team trade, the only possibility for two 2nd rounders is with Atlanta. For an early 2nd and early 3rd we'd be giving up more and those teams - Miami, KC, St. Louis - would probably want more picks rather than fewer. The other possibilities, including some combination of 08 and 09 picks, would be unlikely to yield more players who could help the team this year.

yeah and now its being spun that he chose Mario over Bush. McNair and Kubiak chose Mario over Bush, not Casserley. In fact, after the draft Casserley said he had Bush as the #1 rated player on the board, after the fact. Now he wants to take credit for it now that it looks better. Screw Cass.

im not a casserly fan (who is) but thats BS... i think most reasonable fans agree that casserly was consistently high on mario and made a strong case to mcnair and kubiak to take him which they also saw and agreed with

anything else you want to pull out of your ass?

im not a casserly fan (who is) but thats BS... i think most reasonable fans agree that casserly was consistently high on mario and made a strong case to mcnair and kubiak to take him which they also saw and agreed with

anything else you want to pull out of your ass?

Let's play fair and be kind. :cool:

The history of Casserly and the 2006 draft has been muddled. I think the best information that is out there is that Casserly wanted to sign and announce Bush very early in the process, but that he was overruled by those who wanted to explore all options including trading the pick. This is why there were rumors early on saying that Bush was definitely the guy because CC was leaking it (and wanted it to be official).

In retrospect, I wish Casserly had made a stronger case to the media and public about Williams. They surprised folks with the pick, and then really never made a case about why they picked him other than his combine measureables and that he played DE. It would have still been a huge storm in Houston, but at least there would have been some basic information about him.

Williams is the only LT I've seen that might be there. Otah and Baker projected late first or early 2nd. You would not take a franchise type back in Stewart? We have little idea what we get with Brown and while I am glad he is on roster, he would go quickly to # 2 if we got Stewart. If WIlliams there,he has my first vote. Next is Stewart and Mike Jenkins third. I think all 3 will be gone and a trade may not be there as most teams have same chance to get a good player after 18 as we do.

Sorry, but I don't think all that much of Stewart as a franchise back. I see him as a second rd back at best. I could be wrong, but in the times I have seen him he just didn't seem that elusive and he doesn't seem to run real aggresive. Granted he is so big he will break tackles, but to me he looks like he should run like Jamaal Lewis, but instead runs more like Jerry Lewis. He was also injury prone his first two years. So, he had one breakout year. I don't feel he will be a bust, but I don't see "franchise" back in him either. Not at all. JMO.

Sorry, but I don't think all that much of Stewart as a franchise back. I see him as a second rd back at best. I could be wrong, but in the times I have seen him he just didn't seem that elusive and he doesn't seem to run real aggresive. Granted he is so big he will break tackles, but to me he looks like he should run like Jamaal Lewis, but instead runs more like Jerry Lewis. He was also injury prone his first two years. So, he had one breakout year. I don't feel he will be a bust, but I don't see "franchise" back in him either. Not at all. JMO.
In response,
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=173412
STate record RB;
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=173412
"Consider this (2007) season another growth spurt in which Stewart no longer tries to run over people or go the distance every play and thereby risking injury as in his first two years." In other words, he is maturing into a better back. The article goes on to say "He ranks 7th in nation with 130.4 yards per game BUT #1 among top 25 RBs in yards per carry @ 6.69."

In High School after 4 years he had 7,755 yds and 95 TDS. AT combine 235 lbs he ran 4.48. His "break out year" was as a junior and he rushed for almost 1,000 as a sophomore. His cathcing ability is another positive.

Opinions are just that and you have yours and mine is "franchise type" back.

It HURTS me to say this, but the Cowgirls. If they had a really quick free-saftey they would be in the superbowl next year. Hopefully the Late Wade Phillips (cause he's dead to me now) doesn't realize that.

Let's play fair and be kind. :cool:

The history of Casserly and the 2006 draft has been muddled. I think the best information that is out there is that Casserly wanted to sign and announce Bush very early in the process, but that he was overruled by those who wanted to explore all options including trading the pick. This is why there were rumors early on saying that Bush was definitely the guy because CC was leaking it (and wanted it to be official).

In retrospect, I wish Casserly had made a stronger case to the media and public about Williams. They surprised folks with the pick, and then really never made a case about why they picked him other than his combine measureables and that he played DE. It would have still been a huge storm in Houston, but at least there would have been some basic information about him.

I thought they said more about their decision than that he was a DE and what his measurables were. Didn't Richard Smith speak at a press conference introducing Williams extolling the virtues of building a defense, and how defenses win championships? Kubiak said he was a game changing pass rusher and someone who would cause opposing offenses problems. Smith said he had no flaws in his personal life or football abilities. I'm just curious, would you have recommended that they put a letter in the paper to the fans, more info on the web site, a TV spot, or just say more about him at his press conference? Or was it just that those words weren't coming from Casserly?

I thought they said more about their decision than that he was a DE and what his measurables were. Didn't Richard Smith speak at a press conference introducing Williams extolling the virtues of building a defense, and how defenses win championships? Kubiak said he was a game changing pass rusher and someone who would cause opposing offenses problems. Smith said he had no flaws in his personal life or football abilities. I'm just curious, would you have recommended that they put a letter in the paper to the fans, more info on the web site, a TV spot, or just say more about him at his press conference? Or was it just that those words weren't coming from Casserly?

That's all right brain talking. Blah blah blah. The press conferences were all fluff. Basically, they told you that Mario Williams graded out higher than Julius Peppers, but they didn't show you why, either through playing statistics, combine numbers, video etc. They gave out stats, but they didn't give out basis of comparison. Most fans don't know what those numbers mean without context of comparing them to players that they do know about. They had no quotes from his coaches or his teammates.

And given that most stories in the Chronicle have some amount of regurgitation from the press releases, they could have given that information to the Chronicle and we could have read the regurgitation.

These are the stories that they had at the time on the HT.com website.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=2456

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=2455

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=2465

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=2457

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=2448

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=2447

If you are making a pick that you know you will get killed about, you need to sell it better than they did. Not over sell it, but make rational left brain reasons why Mario was worth a #1 pick. The way they announced this pick to the world, as a last minute idea with little selling in the context of the VY/Bush thing, left Mario in the lurch.

Bygones.

If you are making a pick that you know you will get killed about, you need to sell it better than they did. Not over sell it, but make rational left brain reasons why Mario was worth a #1 pick. The way they announced this pick to the world, as a last minute idea with little selling in the context of the VY/Bush thing, left Mario in the lurch.

Bygones.

office+space.jpg

Umm yeah, I don't know if they got the memo about the TPS reports, but I understand that Matt Schaub is a hell of a leader.

The thought that flashed through my mind was Cam Cameron defending Ted Ginn Jr. at the #9 pick.

"Boooo BOOOOOO Booooo!"
"crowd grumbles"
"we really believe Ted brings a lot to the offense and hey...he can return punts!"
"mock cheers with fans realizing they were in store for a long year"

I'm just worried bout us becoming like Arizona where we start becoming the team that gets a lot of preseason hype, then flame out.

Didn't Richard Smith speak at a press conference introducing Williams extolling the virtues of building a defense, and how defenses win championships?

A defensive coordinator extolling the virtues of defense? I'm speechless.

A defensive coordinator extolling the virtues of defense? I'm speechless.

And you'd be more verbose if it came from Sherman? Defensive coordinators aren't the only ones to blame for making "Defenses win championships" cliche. Point is they defended the pick, whether it was well received or not.

And you'd be more verbose if it came from Sherman? Defensive coordinators aren't the only ones to blame for making "Defenses win championships" cliche. Point is they defended the pick, whether it was well received or not.

The way they prepared the fans for the pick and the way they promoted the pick was very poor. A very right brained discussion, when the discussions of the draft have become increasingly left brained.

They had the first freaking pick. They knew who they were going to choose. They had plenty of time to put together something more substantive than hey we need a pass rush, defense wins championships, lookie he is a big dude who can play multiple positions.

I was proud that Mario Williams put my old blog post providing basic research and information about him on his website until I realized that the reason his people did it was because the mainstream media didn't write anything that was particularly fair about his background.

Why? Because the Texans didn't spoonfeed them the information.

I had to research Mario myself because the local newspaper put nothing of substance in it. Most of the information I could find about him was BEFORE the draft, before the hype machine said he was Sam Bowie. The Chronicle writers said the pick sucked, then some went on vacation, and then weeks later John Lopez wrote an article about Mario's sister (a similar article was written by USA Today the day after the draft).

/sorry about this getting off topic, but I truly believe that CC and the Texans did a misservice to fans and to Williams with the way that the 2006 draft was handled.

I was proud that Mario Williams put my old blog post providing basic research and information about him on his website until I realized that the reason his people did it was because the mainstream media didn't write anything that was particularly fair about his background.

I had to research Mario myself because the local newspaper put nothing of substance in it. Most of the information I could find about him was BEFORE the draft, before the hype machine said he was Sam Bowie. The Chronicle writers said the pick sucked, then some went on vacation, and then weeks later John Lopez wrote an article about Mario's sister (a similar article was written by USA Today the day after the draft).

TC -

Everything you said is dead-on, but at the time, you had a GM with one foot out the door, a head coach who'd never participated in a draft above the level of Offensive Coordinator, and an owner who probably should have known better than to trust these guys to handle the PR side of things, but he obviously didn't.

That's not a knock on Kube's, but it's definitely a knock on CC. In the time between the end of the last season and now, I've seen it reported that the reason CC was fired was because he was responsible for the Mario pick (Which is laughable except for the fact that there are apparently people who believe it), and you've said he wanted Bush, and was overruled.

Can it possibly be a coincidence that two years later, there is still confusion and uncertainty on a national basis, and basically, CC can get away with spinning it any way he wants. Yes, he could have done a better job selling it to the media and making them understand it, but because he didn't - he was free to say later that his actions were a result of not being in favor of the pick. As it is, since MW's looking like a pretty good selection right now, we have lemmings who either don't care about accuracy or are to lazy to verify things, and end up writing about Mario's 14 sack season being "Vindication" for Casserly.

I've heard numerous times that the reason the Redskins took Shuler in '94 was because Norv Turner wanted him. I have no idea if that's accurate, but I know it's what CC wants the world to believe. I just get the feeling that he intentionally set this up to be able to deny any role if the pick bombed, and claim all the credit if it turned out to be good. The spoon-feeding you correctly claim they didn't do wouldn't have served that purpose.

If the definition of contention is playoffs (which I think is what they meant), there are probably a lot of teams that are one draft pick (and a healthy season) away from contention. I'd start by naming all the 7, 8, and 9 win teams coming back relatively intact that didn't make the playoffs last year as possibilities.

I think Kubiak/Smith would say the Texans are still a couple drafts away from where they need to be - and I think he would be right in saying that. But there's probably not too many coaches that wouldn't say that.

The Texans got a lot of 'contender' hype coming off that 7-9 in '04.

It's all noise/filler to me...

Bring on the draft so we have something real to chew on.

The way they prepared the fans for the pick and the way they promoted the pick was very poor. A very right brained discussion, when the discussions of the draft have become increasingly left brained.

They had the first freaking pick. They knew who they were going to choose. They had plenty of time to put together something more substantive than hey we need a pass rush, defense wins championships, lookie he is a big dude who can play multiple positions.

/sorry about this getting off topic, but I truly believe that CC and the Texans did a misservice to fans and to Williams with the way that the 2006 draft was handled.

How long before the draft day did they know for sure who they were going to take? I thought it wasn't before shortly before draft day that they made their final decision and signed Mario to a contract. I think Kubiak, McNair, Casserly, and an assortment of other people defended this pick in the paper, on their web site, in a televised press conference, and in televised interviews with reasonable arguments for selecting him. Did they give a statistical analysis of the significance of his measurables and college production relative to DE's of the past? No. Did they specifically, by name, compare him to Vince Young and Reggie Bush, and say why he was better for us than them? No. But I don't think that was necessary, nor do I recall any team going out of their way to do something similar within the first week of drafting a player. I respect your opinion, I just disagree. I thought all of the media and fan hype put them in a bad spot, and considering the circumstances as a fan I felt well informed as to why they made their decision.

Spot on TC

Why should the Texans have to spoon feed the media anything. Isn't it their job to hunt down stories & do their own reasearch?

CC always plays both sides of the fence. Why should it be a suprise to anybody that he would play both sides of the fence in this instance.

He has made a career out of playing both sides of the fence.

How long before the draft day did they know for sure who they were going to take? I thought it wasn't before shortly before draft day that they made their final decision and signed Mario to a contract. I think Kubiak, McNair, Casserly, and an assortment of other people defended this pick in the paper, on their web site, in a televised press conference, and in televised interviews with reasonable arguments for selecting him. Did they give a statistical analysis of the significance of his measurables and college production relative to DE's of the past? No. Did they specifically, by name, compare him to Vince Young and Reggie Bush, and say why he was better for us than them? No. But I don't think that was necessary, nor do I recall any team going out of their way to do something similar within the first week of drafting a player. I respect your opinion, I just disagree. I thought all of the media and fan hype put them in a bad spot, and considering the circumstances as a fan I felt well informed as to why they made their decision.

It took me, an individual person, a couple of hours to research and write what I wrote about Mario Williams with no access to agents, coaches, family, teammates, game film, draft analysis etc. Which is more information than the Texans sent out or what was in the paper.

I am guessing a corporation with the resources that the Texans have could have put together some informational stuff together that is a little better than defense wins championships, lookee at how big and strong this guy is.

Yes, there are people who would have been bitter no matter what you said about Mario. But the Texans really didn't do a good job of introducing this pick to the world at all.

CC said at the time, to boo him instead of Mario. They knew how much everyone was going to despise the pick, and despise Mario for being the face of that pick. They needed to redouble their efforts to demonstrate why he was the right pick for their team.

I believe that 2006 draft is a case study of how NOT to handle draft PR and was a disservice to the fanbase and to Mario Williams. (though getting the money stung him less).

Spot on TC

Why should the Texans have to spoon feed the media anything. Isn't it their job to hunt down stories & do their own reasearch?

CC always plays both sides of the fence. Why should it be a suprise to anybody that he would play both sides of the fence in this instance.

He has made a career out of playing both sides of the fence.

His entire career was built on blame and blather.

I was talking to an out of town reporter about CC, and he said that CC was now teaching a class on how to succeed in sports adminstration.

And I asked him whether his advice was all, "find other people to blame."

He laughed and mentioned that in his last conversation with CC, he blamed other people for various things.

It took me, an individual person, a couple of hours to research and write what I wrote about Mario Williams with no access to agents, coaches, family, teammates, game film, draft analysis etc. Which is more information than the Texans sent out or what was in the paper.

I am guessing a corporation with the resources that the Texans have could have put together some informational stuff together that is a little better than defense wins championships, lookee at how big and strong this guy is.

Yes, there are people who would have been bitter no matter what you said about Mario. But the Texans really didn't do a good job of introducing this pick to the world at all.

CC said at the time, to boo him instead of Mario. They knew how much everyone was going to despise the pick, and despise Mario for being the face of that pick. They needed to redouble their efforts to demonstrate why he was the right pick for their team.

I believe that 2006 draft is a case study of how NOT to handle draft PR and was a disservice to the fanbase and to Mario Williams. (though getting the money stung him less).

I respect the work you put in to further introduce Mario to fans. I think we're viewing this situation from two different perspectives and are going to have a difficult time agreeing on it's portrayal. Either way, it's water under the bridge, I'd like to leave it at that and allow the thread to get back on topic. Maybe another time.

Bring on the draft so we have something real to chew on.

Preach it brother!

Can I get an AMEN to that! Or if you are feeling moved in a mighty way by the spirit of the draft, just sing out with a hearty HALLELUJAH.

you know, I keep seeing people say that OT Williams is a franchise LT, but I just don't see it. He may be serviceable, but I just don't see him as a franchise LT. IMHO, Brandon Albert is the safer pick. He has quick feet and long arms, and I think he would be the better LT in our system. If he's not able to play LT, he could be our upgrade over Pitts. I know alot of people are going to be upset with this, but I think Pitts is our weak link right now because he is slow footed. Fire away.

you know, I keep seeing people say that OT Williams is a franchise LT, but I just don't see it. He may be serviceable, but I just don't see him as a franchise LT. IMHO, Brandon Albert is the safer pick. He has quick feet and long arms, and I think he would be the better LT in our system. If he's not able to play LT, he could be our upgrade over Pitts. I know alot of people are going to be upset with this, but I think Pitts is our weak link right now because he is slow footed. Fire away.

While I generaly agree that Albert may actually be a safer pick than Williams because if he strikes out at LT he is likely a pro bowl level guard, but williams is concidered the protypical WCO LT and therfore the better pick as a LT. Not sure how you arrived at that Pitts is slow footed. He has always been one of the more agile lineman and recognized as such.

Cleveland Browns. Arguably the best team out there not to make the post season last year.

Unfortunately for Browns fans, they won't get that One Draft pick until the 4th.

The world Franchise is often overused in relation to projecting guys to pro careers. Williams has good measureables and is one of the more smarter guys in the draft according the wonderlic test for what that is worth. Is he one of the mythical "franchise" type players? I don't know. I know it's hard to project any player to really do that. What I do think is he has the measureables to solve, short and long term, our LT problem.

I've said before I think its a stronger possibility then some people are saying Williams will fall to us at 18. Fits a glaring need and BPA. If he doesn't make it I would hope the staff strongly considers Albert. If he doesn't make it at LT worst(and i use this loosely) we get a guy that has pro bowl potential at guard. I'm not sure about Pitts but with McKinney gone and Weary not looking like he'll be healthy or resigned by the time TC rolls around we might not be fully set at RG. Perhaps Kubiak thinks Brisiel is the guy. I am not so sure.

Back