What role should analytics/data science play in our organization?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texanmike02, Jun 10, 2019.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Things like who a guy played against, his football iq, devotion to the craft, of course his measurables. How a guy performs in a dome vs say Buffalo. Has he been clutch. How a guy fits in within the system you are trying to run can all be helped using an anlytics approach. I'm not saying analytics is the be all end all, but it's a significant piece of the puzzle. IMHO

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep, and thanks to RS he had a bounty of draft capital. Sashi set the team up for success and Dorsey used the cap space and draft picks Sashi stocked up on to build a contender. Dorsey walked in to a gold mine.

3. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

I agree that those things should be valued, guess I just don't see how they're seen as any more 'analytics' than how they were being compiled and used before analytics became such a thing.

steelbtexan likes this.
  4. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I found this site and it seems pretty interesting. It can at least give us something to refer back to next offseason.
    https://www.cmusportsanalytics.com/projecting-nfl-stars-based-on-college-stats/

steelbtexan likes this.
  5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

What does a quarterback do if rushed from the left by a DB. Does he consistently hand off to an RB, dump to a tight end , take a sack, or throw out of bounds. Does a cornerback consistently bite on a certain fake move by a wide receiver. How does the wide receiver respond if bumped at the line of scrimmage. Things such as these are Analytics most teams use in my opinion.

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. Earl34

Earl34 All Pro

This is what the quality control coaches are suppose to be doing. Not only running analytics to catch opponents' tendencies, but also for self scouting.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  8. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Interesting article. I had no idea Cris Collingsworth was the controlling owner of PFF. @steelbtexan @Texian I think I found new careers for you two.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  9. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Wowser, who knew ?
    And 500 employees, that's a big employer, good for Collingsworth. I dunno but with that big of an organization guess there's no body else who's even close to providing the kind of service they do ?
    Good find DocBar !

steelbtexan likes this.
  10. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I knew..last year they did a football life episode on him and they talked a little about that.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

CWTexansFan, DocBar and steelbtexan like this.
  12. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

interesting little tidbit from that article......

"By way of example, the Houston Texans last season gave up a league-worst 62 sacks. Everyone knows that. It’s a stat.

What you don’t know is players not on the offensive line were responsible for over a third of those sacks (21 were spread across tight ends, running backs, and even Deshaun Watson, who accounted for 14 himself). The Texans offensive line was not good, but Houston had far from the league’s worst pass protection (we had them ranked 20th)."

Perfect example of why analytics will always be kept at a reasonable distance in football.

CWTexansFan, DocBar, JB and 1 other person like this.
  14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

The timeline of PFF getting so big falls perfectly in line with my virtual dismissal of using them as a good reference. I've been saying for at least a couple of years that their analysis doesn't pass the eyeball test.
    Without knowing the exact responsibilities and particular protection called, how does a PFF nerd know that the blown assignment wasn't on an OL with a TE or RB trying to pick up that blown assignment.

steelbtexan, JB and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I extract data for a living in the organ transplant community. Love my job & the game as well....................but you couldn't pay me to do that work based on the requirements they lay out there.

steelbtexan likes this.
  16. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Exactly. Baseball & basketball don't have to account for things like audibles. There's just too many moving parts in football for analytics to really take hold in the game like in baseball & basketball.

JB likes this.
  17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

What would be really interesting is an NFL team having an analytics dept. that could provide specific coverages, protection schemes, etc. to PFF.

Mr teX likes this.
  18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

My first thought was 'how fitting' knowing Collingsworth's value as a broadcaster. He was a much better receiver than a talker/thinker

19. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I actually like Collingsworth as an analyst. He's probably my favorite TBH. Everyone's falling in love with Romo..not my cup of tea...I like watching the game, not a guy making funny noises & getting all pitchy when he sees a play he likes.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I'm more of a Frank Gifford/John Madden guy