What receiver would you take with your 1st Rd Selection

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by O.G., Mar 26, 2007.

1. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

Ok, if the texans can't get Landry, Hall or Nelson due to trading down and they don't go in the Direction of of DE or DT as well as Offensive line, what receiver which is a very glaring need would you take in the mid 1st round? I like either Dwayne Jarrett, Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachem.

2. real

real Guest

Out of those guys I'd like Meachem....I think he'd be a good fit for us...

But honestly I'd rather go Chris Houston or even a Justin Blaylock....

3. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Agreed.

4. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

None. WR2 is way down on my black hole list....way down.

5. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I like Robert Meachem the best after Calvin Johnson.

However I'd still rather us get more help on the D for our 1st round and probably 3rd too. i think anderson will be okay for next season but not as good as meachem thats for sure.

If our Defense looks a lot better by the 'o8 draft. we got some real good LT's, WR's and RB's that will be there. hopefully we will be picking around middle of the round and can take the bpa from them or D again. Mario Manningham would be real nice, or mario urrutia, limas sweed, desean jackson. I like those 4 better for a 1st rd pick than the ones this year.

6. AtheGreat

AtheGreat Veteran

did Jarret do something like run a 6.3 at his pro day to kill his stock becuase each mock i see, he seems to be slipping. from top 15 to top half to seeing him make it to the 2nd round. did i miss something that happned?

but, i'd like to see later round WR. chris houston would be lovely.

7. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yeah, people saw through the hype and realized he's not really that good.

bah007 likes this.
  8. threetoedpete

LOL. I've just heard the guy isn't a willing blocker. Playmaker yes...but once you tagged like that...coaches and GMs are going to refrain from a guy. Our best posible scenario...Dewayne ends up with Vincent. Those two were tailor made for each other.

9. Titan "Tack" Fan

Titan "Tack" Fan Hall of Fame

Well I'm an LSU fan so I know the most about Dwayne Bowe, so I would be fine with the Titans drafting him because I know he's a good receiver. Meachem, Jarrett, Ginn, and Rice are all good as well, I just haven't watched them as much.

10. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

he doesn't block, and he's not really a playmaker. he'll get you a few TD's in the endzone. but that's about it. sloppy routes, very wimpy with defenders, slow of course...not much to like about him. steve smith on the other hand excels in every category jarrett doesn't, and to me is going to be a very good receiver. he has "new england receiver" written all over him, to me.

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

As I saw the guys analyze the Arkansas - USC film during the combine, specifically the Jarrett - Houston matchup, I realized the guy I would rather have on my team any day of the week is Houston. Meacham is the WR I'd like to see here (but in a trade down scenario - not at 10).

12. threetoedpete

I wouldn't mind Steve Smith as an Anothny Gonzales light guy. Again, they may do it and draft a wide reciever at the ten...I wouldn't be jumping up and down about it. I think they have bigger holes in the bottom of our little ship than WR2 though.

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yeah, i wouldn't bother with WR in the first unless it's a BPA thing. and with ginn's stock falling, there's really no WR that would be called a BPA pick at 10.

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Meachem is the guy I'd want. He can stretch the field and would allow AJ a little more room to work. I really am not sure on Jarrett. He ran slow..not a prereq to be good...but he reminds me of Mike Williams..great catches and size in college but might get lost in the pros. Just a guess.

15. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

A duo like Andre and Meachem could have the potential to develop into a Harrison+Wayne-like tandem.

16. threetoedpete

With no other DEs on the board, I just took him for denver in the mock on the other thread. I like Hall also. I just think Houston has a bigger up side. Just me.They're both great players which hit a need of us.

17. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

There a lot of guys on this MB who are saying defense first, or trade down if we're going to take a WR, and they may not be wrong in their thinking, but I'd like to tell all of you not to be surprised if Kubiak focuses on the offense in order to set Schaub up with the best chance for success.
    We've all pretty much agree that the Schaub trade is a gamble, and you know Kubiak and Smith realize this.
    The best way to mitigate the risk associated with this trade is to put the best supporting cast possible around your new QB.
    If Kubiak and Smith have, indeed, staked their futures to this trade, they must certainly do all they can to make it work.

With that in mind, I'm saying Meachem is the second best WR in this draft. If he's there at 10, and you want him, you don't pull a Casserly and try to trade down and get him. You just take him at 10, and move on.
    You can try to trade down, and maximize your picks, and whatever strategy you like, just be aware that that's the kind of strategy that can get you a Travis Johnson...

This same line of thought could also apply to OL, if you think one will be there who is worth it, but that guy will likely be Levi Brown, and between the two of them at #10, I like Meachem.

BTW, I'm not saying I want a WR at #10, I'm just saying I think Kubiak and Smith have a reason to go that route.

18. AtheGreat

AtheGreat Veteran

vols fan here and gettin mecheam wouldn't make me mad. i'd still love to get NE's 2 picks and get mecheam and houston. :dance2:

19. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Robert Meacham. I can't figure out why some of you think Meacham would be a reach at 10.

I think all this Calvin Johnson stuff has him underrated.

20. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

because he's not in the same class as the 15-20 guys ahead of him.