What one Texans player--

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Oct 6, 2018.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Here's criteria: all other players perform as they have so far

What one Texans player elevating his game brings a win versus Dallas?

I argued with myself Mercilus or McKinney as both have been disappointing to me the former more than the latter. Having said that looking at my criteria I am going with McKinney. I think we need to shut down Elliott and the running game and B.M. needs to double his tackles per game avg of 3.5 solo. This is a ridiculously low amount for his position at the Mike. A total of 25 tackles in four games makes me disappointed Cole is out. His snap counts increased some last Sunday but his total tackle count was only 5 all solo.

B.M. needs to have a Clowney vs Colts awakening or RAC should sit his butt. Shut down the run and force Prescott to beat you.

Your guy?

Texansballer74 likes this.
  2. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

I’m torn between Reid and Duke Ejiofor. One of the two have the potential to take over the game and get us this win, as we know O’Brien is clueless on the offensive side of the ball. The D shall get us the win!

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'd be interested in Ejiofor replacing Mercilus if that productivity doesn't improve quickly. Watt, Clowney and Eji is a lot of speed.

Mangler and Texansballer74 like this.
  4. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

Has to be a corner.

5. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Mercilus is playing a lot more base outside linebacker instead of edge rusher, Ejiofor would run into the same problem - Watt and Clowney are already outside. We sometimes want to put someone outside of Watt but it's wasted because he tends to rush wide, removing the ability to do anything but stunt around him. I would prefer our nickel package being Watt and Clowney at the DT position with Mercilus and Ejiofor on the ends.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Yeah , they have been atrocious so far. Position group was weak coming into the season and has gotten progressively worse …. we have to hope the trend doesn't continue because if the trend continues the whole 16 game season …. or Wentz is gonna have a record setting performance in week 17 (they play the Jag's and Bortles in week 18).

steelbtexan and Texansballer74 like this.
  7. 417Texans

417Texans Rookie

I expected lot more from the defense

steelbtexan and Texansballer74 like this.
  8. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

I will go with the entire secondary. They have been horrible man, oh wee. If Dak pass for over 300+ and 2+ Touchdowns. The entire secondary coach needs to fired.

I'm looking for the secondary to play adequate and picking Dak off twice.

9. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Gimme a beast mode hopkins

V3rm0nt3r likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I don't know how much I'd blame the secondary coaches , they don't have a whole lot of talent to work with …. Have to question Gaine going into the season so thin at the position.

I don't recall who was available via free agency and the draft wasn't much help minus its top two picks …. that whole offseason was a disaster.

steelbtexan likes this.

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Let's not sidetrack guys...my topic was one player and why. We already know weaknesses of secondary and offensive line but I'm asking you to be a bit more into it than that. For example, someone said Hop..okay how much and why would he bring us a win? He's had 30 receptions at avg of almost 15 but only two TDs. Is that enough for a #1 WR with a $14 million cap hit? If we are going to criticize Clowney shouldn't we expect more from the 'Nuk especially with Watson at QB? Fuller in a game less and about half of the targets and receptions has three TDs. If 'Nuk can turn receptions into three TDs tonight and (as my thread said) all others do as they have would that result in a W?

thunderkyss likes this.
  12. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

As much as they deny it QBs have favorites. So do coaches. Kubiak constantly called for TE TDs when AJ was open. Loved that pass on the 2 yard line and fall in while AJ drug the DBs to the back of the endzone. Hopkins is a safety valve to Watson.

DocBar likes this.
  13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yes of course but last season Fuller was the TD guy again and talk was of how he and Watson had a great connection. I'm not knocking either as both are very good but if #4 does not recognize Hopkins skills and use that for points QB coach should whisper into Watson helmet hole.

Good point on TEs and not necessarily where I was going with thread but Jordin Akins had two TDs in one preseason game and now has only 8 targets (7 catches) in four games? If he could be "the one guy" I could see him bringing a W.

infantrycak likes this.
  14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Follow up to bold, Mahomes is effectively using TE Kelce to whomp on Jags. Hope someone on Texans reviews the KC game today. 4th Q 30-7

15. Texansballer74

I was calling the entire secondary as a whole mean 1 unit/player. We need them to play as one is my point. They do that and we will win.

badboy likes this.
  16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

How do you see secondary? KJ going to CB to play opposite Joseph with Wright and maybe Webster getting snaps? I'm thinking new comer Natrell Jamerson not only get some time at safety (and going out on limb) he will have a significant presence.

17. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Watson.
    So far, he has has not performed as well as last season.
    Sure, teams have more tape on him now but he definitely has lost a bit of his early mojo.
    He is the spark - he was during that 7 game streak and needs to be once again.

18. Texansballer74

Jackson has no other choice but to go back to corner now. I agree with the rest due to the injury of Colvin. Personally I would move Joseph to safety and see if Webster could hold down that side for a minute.

Crennel also need to put them in press coverage more. That BS 10 yard cushion is killing us.

19. banned1976

banned1976 American

It’s hard to pick a non Watt or Clowney being the difference maker in this game. Those 2 guys are the only players on defense really showing up. And this is legitimately the second year in a row we’ve seen mediocrity on this early round stacked defense.

So I’m picking 2 players on offense that could make a big impact tonight - Miller and Blue. O’Brien instinctively wants a ground and pound power offense and the Texans o-linemen are built for that work. Watson can’t continue to be tossed around the field like he has been early this season.

20. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Gaine didn't have a lot of options this past offseason. I'm not blaming him.

Corrosion likes this.