What? No love for Zac Diles?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Cushing and Ryans are getting all the pub, but there is another linebacker on the team who deserves just as much as the other two.

And not too bad for a 7th round pick, huh? Good, young, quality starting linebacker who makes plays. And being that he's a 7th rounder, you can imagine how little money he makes, and how big of a raise he'll get by "someone". I feel certain that Demeco will get locked up eventually, but I'm worried that Diles will 'slip through the cracks'.

2. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

He's a backup LB thats over his head when he has to start. Plenty of heart, not a lot of physical gifts. If he's starting, the position needs an upgrade. His hustle just makes it that we don't have to upgrade it immediately.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I dont know about any of that. I saw him bust through the line at least twice and make huge plays in the backfield. He's excellent in my book

4. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Agreed...#54 has been making plays for most of this young season. Also, sometimes hustle is all you need in this game. For some players, they have all the talent but no hustle or heart. Diles, on the other hand, makes up for his lack of physical gifts with hustle and heart. I'll take that any day.

5. swtbound07

thats the same train of thought that makes people clamor for busing at safety.

6. GP

GP Go Texans!

I think I made some posts back in the summer that said this:

It won't matter WHO plays as our 3rd linebacker, because they have the benefit of playing alongside Ryans and Cushing. Those two guys are going to make the third linebacker look good.

It's the Anthony Weaver effect. He played on the Ravens defense, and the train of thought was that we were acquiring "one of the reasons the Ravens were good, AND we were getting him just before he was about to break out and become a star of his own. Lucky us!"

Diles has that feel, IMO. He's going to reap the benefits of playing by those other two guys. He'll put up good numbers. And he and his agent will ask the Texans for money or go seek a trade to grab bigger money.

Then, if he goes elsewhere, the new team will be suckered into thinking they got a great player at LB. They might even have him pegged as THE leader of the LB squad. And then he'll become some other team's Anthony Weaver.

So I'm not worried if he leaves. As long as we lock up Ryans and Cushing, Diles will look good out there. Adibi would look good out there. Clay Mathews would look good out there.

Not saying Diles is bad. Just saying that I think he looks better out there with Miami Vice by his side.

Goldensilence and NitroGSXR like this.
  7. Fox

Fox All Pro

I gave him some love. Played a hell of a game.

8. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Comparing Zac Diles to Anthony Weaver, regardless of the context, is wrong in so many ways, it's ridiculous.

If Demeco and Cushing weren't on the field, Diles would lead the team in tackles.

9. Fox

Fox All Pro

And he was even leading last year with Demeco on the field. He's a solid player for us.

10. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

I don't understand what you're getting at.

11. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Diles busts his ass out there and makes plays...not really sure what else he's supposed to do? He's kicking the tail he's supposed to be kicking.

12. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

You bust Nitro for saying we should get rid of Jacoby and Slaton, but then bring this stuff about ditching Diles? Production is production, I dont see why you get caught up in "potential"

13. GP

GP Go Texans!

Are you 100% sure of that? I'm not.

14. swtbound07

I said nothing about ditching him. I said he's a second stringer that has played well enough for us to hold off on replacing him. I was arguing the "give me players that hustle over players with talent" mentality i see sweeping this board from time to time

15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, give me players that do their jobs and make plays. So, I'll gladly take Zac Diles. Anyone that has watched this guy play the past two seasons and believes he isn't good enough to start for a quality defense, is paying too much attention to his draft round and measurables and not enough attention to his production. Other than Demeco Ryans and Jamie Sharper, he's easily the best LB we've ever had... I'm going to wait a couple of weeks to rank Cushing.

16. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Zac may not making much money now. However, if he keeps playing at current level, money will come to him. Zac turned out to be a huge steal at 7th rd pick.

Go Zac!!!
    Go Texans!!!

17. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

There was another undersized Zac(h) out there who was slow, undersized and lacking in any sort of elite physical gifts. He certainly road hustle, heart and instincts to a great career.

If my choice is between a Zach Thomas guy who can just go out there and get the job done, or a physical freak who can't play to save his own contract, I'll go with the production.

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

So what's the reason why you have Zac Diles pegged as a 2nd stringer? Is it his draft position......because just about everytime he's started for us he's played solid football. Hell before he got hurt last season he was playing just as good if not better than every LB on the team...including DeMeco.

And that's why the Busing comparison makes no sense whatsoever. Unlike John Busing, Zac Diles has proven he can start in this league over multiple games. John Busing just made plays in preseason....when did he ever prove he can start in this league?

If you look around the league, how many teams have probowlers at every LB position? There's plenty of high quality winning teams that have no problem rolling out a LBer like Zac Diles. I think you're underselling him as a player. A better comparison for Zac Diles would be Kevin Walter (another 7th round pick who proved he could play solid starting football) and I don't think anybody would ever call him a 2nd stringer.

19. swtbound07

Kevin Walters is a quality football player. So is david anderson. Draft position doesn't mean shit. What you have in Zac Diles is a linebacker who is somewhat suspect in coverage, and has flaws. I don't think he is a starting linebacker on a GOOD defense. Thats not a knock on him. I think Okoye is a good 2nd team DT. Just not a starter if you want a good defense. He'd be a great depth guy...just if your starting Diles you have a problem. He makes a lot of tackles 8-10 yards down the field. He also isn't quick enough to react to the plays, and shift direction. I'm not saying you have to have Demeco Ryan's at every position, just that he's not quite good enough to start for a top caliber defense. He is probably the best we have there, but will need to be upgraded at some point. I was hoping Adibi would develop into that upgrade, but it hasn't happened yet.

20. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 tackles for a loss he has this season. Not to mention his blowing up of the reverse in the second half that was 10 yards behing the LOS. I happen to think he's better in coverage than DRyans, by the way. Last season, for instance, he had great coverage and made a great pick trailing Dallas Clark on a skinny post in the second quarter of the Rosencopter game. It was a hell of a play and some evidence that the guy can play the pass. What makes you think he can't?