Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

what makes a quarterback

keyfro

Veteran
since david carr has improved this year stat-wise and is still not getting any love in this town i just thought look at the question what makes a good quarterback...obviously the john elway's and joe montana's are gone...everyone is looking for the next championship calibur quarterback texans included.

we've all seen good quarterbacks like brett farve and troy aikman succeed but we've also seen really oustanding quarterbacks not succeed like peytan manning and dan marino

so what makes the difference between having a john elway and dan marino

both were considered the best at their position while they were playing but only one was a champion

quarterbacks are more than a powerful and accurate arm they are leaders

carr has the arm but it's been his ability to lead and win that is in question and to be honest i feel he can succeed...carr has the ability to win but i just feel like he won't be able to win in this town...this town does not support him at all...they really haven't since year three...why that is i don't know...maybe this town after so many years of not having football was expecting a little more than carr was delivering...but i feel that in order for david to succeed he needs to move to another team with a fan base that will support him

carr's ability to lead and win have not been fulfilled here in houston...he probably has the worst record of any starting quarterback in the past five years and still has his starting job...many would question why...i believe the answer is that the organization knows they have not given carr the chance to succeed

a quarterback needs a solid offensive line...carr has only had that here in houston for about five games

a quarterback's best friend is strong running game equaled to reliable tight end...carr has had the running game only three out of the last five years and has only had a reliable tight end this year

a YOUNG quarterback needs a teacher to help show him the way so he does not fall flat on his back every snap...once again carr has only had a good teacher this year

and finally a quarterback needs the support of his supporting cast...the recievers, the coaches, the defense, and yes the fans...carr until this year only had one reliable reciever and coaches...really has never had the defense to support him and yes for the first three years had the support of the fans but that has been flushed down the toliet early last year

so what is the point i am trying to make...it is time for david carr to move on to another team, but not because he isn't a good quarterback...it's because this town has given up on him because of a dream it had of a hometown hero...because this team has failed him in it's inability to surround him with a supporting cast he can succeed with...and finally because sometimes in sports a guy just needs a new place to rest

hopefully the next tackling dumbie we get to play qb here will have better support from both the team and the fans

and finally because sometimes in sports a guy just needs a new place to rest

It worked for Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jim Plunkett, Matt Hassleback, (possibly, becase the jury is still out) Joey Harrington and probably some others that I can't think of..

Good post.

Thank you. After all the bashing I am glad to see that what has happened to Carr and this team falls on the shoukders of all involved not just the QB.

I hope that Kubiak & Smith have the same vision for the team, because Capers & Casserly were looking at two deferent teams all together.

Go Texans 5 & 8 looks good to me right now.

it_on_ebay.jpg

I would never respect any owner that allowed fans to make ANY decision for him. I think we know who makes the decisions after the recent draft. What I do not see is an alternative for 2007 if Carr leaves. The Lions I believe are draft mocked to pick 1st QB and none after that is a starter next season. I also do not see a trade although the back up to KC was mentioned somewhere. Unless Carr falls on his face last 4 games, I think Kubes will play him next season and not write off $8million. I do expect a lower round pick such as Kolb from UH who would take up some of the "home boy" VY PR loss. Especially if Kolb does well in Bowl. I think Kolb is not known well @ national level.

so what makes the difference between having a john elway and dan marino

both were considered the best at their position while they were playing but only one was a champion

Don't forget, Elway was labled a "Super Bowl choker" until his last two years in the league. His Broncos teams lost 3 Super Bowls by an average score of 45-13.

That's until he got a guy named Terrell Davis in the backfield with him.

From the Chron:

Gotta love it when they throw the completion percentage at you. Not that Carr shouldn't be proud that he leads the NFL in completion percentage (69.1 percent). But do you know who the all-time leaders are in that category? Kurt Warner, Chad Pennington, Daunte Culpepper and Marc Bulger. What? No Montana, Elway, Marino?

I think that is pretty telling

Señor Stan;524301 said:
Don't forget, Elway was labled a "Super Bowl choker" until his last two years in the league. His Broncos teams lost 3 Super Bowls by an average score of 45-13.

That's until he got a guy named Terrell Davis in the backfield with him.

Pretty ridiculous argument when most people know that the Broncos would have never even been in those Super Bowls without Elway. The problem on those SB teams wasn't Elway...he carried that team as far as he could and he made guys around him better because of his abilities to make plays. Davis combined with Elway just took them from the best team in the AFC to the best team in the NFL.

Of all the GREAT QB's to play and win a Superbowl, I bet if you take a closer look at their team...there is always a GREAT or DAMB GOOD RB right behind him. (Brady might be the only exception, b/c he's won with A.Smith, C.Dillon)

Montana - Roger Craig
Elway - Terrell Davis
Aikman - Emmit Smith
Bradshaw - Franco Harris

Bottom line- you need a good running game for your QB to have a chance to be successful just as much as you need an O-line.

If Carr is gone who'll replace him ? Could'nt you say the same thing about Chad Stanley ? You know how easy it would be to get a guy to do what we're doing right now .

A better question would be ... who would replace Demeco thats a good question .

Of all the GREAT QB's to play and win a Superbowl, I bet if you take a closer look at their team...there is always a GREAT or DAMB GOOD RB right behind him. (Brady might be the only exception, b/c he's won with A.Smith, C.Dillon)

Montana - Roger Craig
Elway - Terrell Davis
Aikman - Emmit Smith
Bradshaw - Franco Harris

Bottom line- you need a good running game for your QB to have a chance to be successful just as much as you need an O-line.

When the Niners won their first SB , they had Bill Ring for their RB .

Montana - Roger Craig
Elway - Terrell Davis
Aikman - Emmit Smith
Bradshaw - Franco Harris
I think "dam good" is more appropriate than great for all of these backs, even Smith who was a great back in the statistical sense only. None of them were
in the same rarefied atmosphere of the likes of Sanders, Dickenson, Simpson,
Brown, Campbell, etc.

I think "dam good" is more appropriate than great for all of these backs, even Smith who was a great back in the statistical sense only. None of them were
in the same rarefied atmosphere of the likes of Sanders, Dickenson, Simpson,
Brown, Campbell, etc.

You gotta be joking! Sanders I'll give you and maybe Brown, but Dickenson..(you mean Dickerson), Simpson, and Campell. how many rings did they win? What's the most TD's they scored in a seaon? And how many of them showed up for the BIG GAME? Emmit had longevity, is that something you hold against him? Longevity is a rare commodity for RB's and that alone should make him as GREAT as well. Also..if you add in EMMIT's post season yardage and TD's there wouldn't be anyone close to him in the record books.

Would they have won more with Ring and Freddy Solomon ?

No they wouldn't have. Roger Craig was one of the premire backs in this league when the 49ers went on their Superbowl runs.

how many strings 1000 yard season's did these guys have ? How many pro bowls did they make during their career? Compare those numbers and I bet you'll change your opinion.

I think a lot of it comes down to clutch play and the ability to shrug off mistakes.

The great QBs can have bad games for three quarters, but then forget about their mistakes and make it happen at the end of the game. They make the passes when it counts, and this ability separates the 'good' from the 'great'.

It is definitely a team sport, but QB is a unique position as he touches the ball on every offensive play. They can make (or break) teams with talent, and they can inspire mediocre teams to play above themselves.

The only stat that really matters is scoreboard at the end of the day.

Intangibly speaking to name a few

Intellectual horsepower - to understand the playbook inside and out; be a student of the other team's defensive looks and have the the ability to match your sets to the defense's looks.

Communicator - Disseminate a coherent message to 10 different personalities taking into consideration time, score and situation.

Facilitator - put others in a position to succeed within their comfort zone, as in getting people the ball when and where they can leverage their strengths.

And lastly, have fun as sports is a child's game that can pay very well.

Back