What kind of GM do you want if Casserly is gone?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 4Texans, May 10, 2006.

1. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

Do you want a strong GM that makes all the decisions, and tells the coach what players he's going to get? Do you want a figure head, or a guy who just gives an opinion and is part of a committee? Do you want a perssonnel guy, or a contracts guy? You could probably turn this into a poll, but I'm sure everyone has an idea of what type of GM they would like the Texans to have, and how much power is given to him.

2. eltoro

eltoro Rookie

I want one who will listen to what the coaching staff wants, but will be the ultimate decisonmaker when it comes to what players to select, cut, keep, etc. Kubiak is looking like a fine coach, but he is way too "green" to be given too much authority when it comes to personnel decisions.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

One that gambles a lttle less than Cass and a Texan drawl would help for most of my fellow fans it seems.

4. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

5. Glacier

Glacier Veteran

GM is not the coach. Coaches have a short life span in the NFL it appears. We need someone who is going to be objective in hiring and evaluating coaching talent as well as coaching staff performance.

We need a GM that is going to make the ballsy picks that go against the wishes of the coaching staff with an eye to the future beyond the life of most NFL coaching staffs. I've often thought that Jimmy Johnson would be a good NFL GM. His strength was talent evaluation.

6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I officially nominate Vinny :poker:

7. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

The signs have been there for months that McNair doesn't want a strong GM so no matter what we want, we will probably have a VP of Player Personnel (guessing Rick Smith or Ron Hill) to go along with our VP of Negotiations and Administration and our Head Coach as the ruling troika.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

More than anything I appreciate the choice of the word troika. English is a much better language when jewels such as this are used.

9. dwilt72

dwilt72 Veteran

How one who doesn't make as many mistakes and then try to blame them on someone else?

10. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

That appears to be the way they are heading - a three headed monster if you will. I think that is the wrong approach. I would rather have a strong GM who, while listening to his coaches, isn't afraid to overrule them. The coach is there to coach, that is why he is called "coach". The GM should oversee all aspects of the personell dept, including the draft and FA. As it stands, it looks like we will have 3 guys, all with their own thinking process as to how to build a team. Can they function as one? Or will each pull and tug in their own direction, nobody with a clear directive? Time will tell, but to me, it's a recipe for disaster. Too many cooks spoil the broth. :stirpot:

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

On the contrary, I think McNair likes the checks and balances that brings.

There will be two guys making the football decisions and one guy with input on the financials. I'm sure that Kubiak and Smith or Hill can work together just fine. They have before.

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Ya, and that has worked out great so far. :ok:

13. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

You reap what you sow......

14. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

15. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

And Polian is relevant how?

16. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

Thread title....:)

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Casserly has more rings than he does.

Maybe it's just me but I sense this is the year the Colts fall back to the pack a bit.

18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I agree. I wrote this earlier but I like what Reese has done with the Titans. He is the final decision maker and when things hit the fan he takes the responsibility. He has overruled Fischer twice that I know of and once it worked out and the other was this year. The time before the coaches badly wanted Kevin Carter and Reese wanted McNair. I found this old Q & A with him and I thought his insight was good. By the way I'm not an Oiler fan that is rabid Titans and thus a half hearted texans fan. Just answering the question of what type of GM I want.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2004/nawrocki091604.htm

19. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I second that!

20. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Just heard on ESPN News to expect a press conference or at least an annoucment from the Texans this afternoon about Casserly resigning.