What kind of Cap hit would we take if we traded Babin??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Mar 14, 2007.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I like the guy, I think he's a football player. but I think we could get a first day pick for him.

Maybe.

anyway, anyone know his contract situation, and what kind of hurt we'd take if we traded him??

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

He's signed through 2009 with a cap hit close to 1.5 million for 2007 and 1.6 million for 2008.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

3. feebleminded

feebleminded .

2.075MM according to Keith's numbers

Edit: That is the dead money potentially against 2007's cap. The total hit is the 2.075MM less the 2007 base salary which would be avoided (735K) for a net 1.34MM hit

4. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

I am convinced Weaver is not the answer at DE and is better suited at DT. Kalu is a good backup. That leaves Babin as the only answer to get pressure opposite Mario and that is not saying much. I don't understand people clamoring for Branch and Okoye when DE is the weak spot on the D line.

Right now is not a good time to think about trading Babin.

5. Texan_Bill

I think that clamoring is because on the right side, you can kinda go by commitee, but in the middle, we need help - especially after cutting Payne. Both views have merit, because the end result is we still have needs everywhere...

6. real

real Guest

Weaver isn't "best suited" for DT. He's best suited for strong side DE, or maybe a DE in a 4-3.

And the reason Okoye would be good for us is because then we could afford to play Weaver at DE, because Okoye is the kind of DT that's going to put pressure on the QB from inside.

7. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

If we're going to be starting TJ (and I realize, that's a pretty big "if") I'd almost rather have a run-clogger in the middle with him. Some big piece of humanity like Fat Tony Siragusa.

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I'll burn Reliant Stadium to ashes.

thunderkyss likes this.
  9. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Weaver showed last year that he cannot get any pressure on the QB as illustrated by his 1 sack total. He is more effective on the inside. Babin who played a lot less than Weaver was able to get 5 sacks.

You got Weaver, Johnson & Johnson, Maddox, Dalton, Zgonia, and Killings for DTs. You only got Williams, Kalu and Babin at DE. IF you can't see the disparity there and the lack of sacks I can't help you.

10. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

The fact that they signed Zgonia today should also tell you they won't be taking a DT on day 1.

11. Texan_Bill

That would have been my first thought also, but then I thought.... Not necessarily... What I am seeing is the Texans doing, is stock piling something we have never had as a team... DEPTH..

12. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

He's not exactly Roger Clemens at that age.

13. real

real Guest

LOL @ you for thinking Weaver is better suited for DT than SDE.

14. real

real Guest

Yeah because he's the answer.:confused:

Your logic is flawed.

15. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

I like the Zgonina signing. It's not an area of desperate need, but leadership from a solid veteran is never a bad idea. Plus, now maybe we'll get rid of Thomas Johnson.

16. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Weaver played DE in Baltimore's 3 -4 which is equivilant to a DT in a 4 -3.
    As a DE in a 4 -3 he is not very good at putting pressure on the QB. AS Mario can attest by all his double teams and Weaver's 1 sack. In regards to this thread about trading Babin, the Texans would do better by keeping Babin and trading Weaver.

Texans Horror likes this.
  17. real

real Guest

It'd be better for our team if Weaver could play DT, but he is best suited for strong side DE.

And LOL @ your lilttle equivilency explanation. That means absolutely nothing. Teams play players where they want to.

18. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Why would anyone give a 1st day pick for him? I think a 6th or 7th is more probable.

19. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Arlington, I hate it when you tell it like it is, especially when it hurts so much.
    But Babin's worth is much more likely to be a Sunday Draft pick than a Saturday Draft pick.
    Right now Babin is 'bout our only annswer at weakside DE. Weaver can't give
    us the kind of explosiveness, quickness we need from that spot. They've
    actually released our best pure rusher, and he's got a Clevland address last time I heard.
    Weaver could play strong-side end, which would mean moving Mario to the
    inside. And this could happen, since after last year many are feeling that Marios natural position in the NFL is at DT.

20. real

real Guest

I'd hate to trade Babin at this point, and that really speaks poorly on our D-line.

But he's really the only threat we have in the pass rush department. If anything he'd be good depth.