what keeps schaub from being an elite qb?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Grforces, May 28, 2010.

1. Grforces

Grforces Veteran

What do you guys think schaub has to do to be considered an elite QB? He did great 09 season, and has steadily improved. If he stays healthy I consider him to be top 5. He has good accuracy short, medium, and deep. Has a great play action even though the run game is almost non-existent. He obviously has to win in the division but I don't blame him as much as I do our play calling.

powerfuldragon likes this.
  2. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Cut down the INT's while getting better at passing for TD's in the red zone.

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I think he is an elite QB already

4. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I think it's the stigma of being soft, or injury prone. What was it his first two seasons, he only played in 11 each of those seasons.

That said, if 2009 was indicative of the type of QB he can be, than he should hit near elite status - SOON!

5. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Winning games despite your teams shortcomings is what elevates players from above average to elite. It is not totally fair to Qbs, but until people think that Schuab takes a good offense makes it truly great he is going to be at the levels below the top handful of guys no matter what the stats say.

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

I think that is basically right, except he needs to show he is not a one-year wonder. If he performs next year on par with how he performed last year, I believe he will then be recognized in most circles as an elite QB.

7. texansdrummer

texansdrummer Hall of Fame

I think he is quite likely already "elite".....assuming he's healthy. Otherwise the things that hold pundits (and a number of people on this board) back from this opinion could include field goal kickers who missed a number of key kicks, running backs fumbling at key moments, and under-performing d-backs with a penchant for writing on their shoes. If those things go a bit differently, we'd "suddenly" have an "elite" QB, good coach, and we'd have likely been in the playoffs. Would have, could have. I don't have an issue with our QB. Can't name many that I'd rather have, so I guess that must mean that he's elite in some sense.

8. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Get this team to the playoffs and we'll talk elite, but until then, he's just at the very top of the second tier of quarterbacks.

ATXtexanfan likes this.

9. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

If he has a similar season to last season, he's elite in my book.

10. Fox

Fox All Pro

Win. He's got the tools and the horses to put up big numbers, which he's proven he can do. The perception of the elite QB comes from two main attributes: they throw a lot of touchdowns, and they win big games - consistently. Schaub can do the first, he has yet to really do the ladder on any stage of genuine significance. The Texans need a year or two of solid playoff contender type years (10-11+ wins) and he'll be recognized as an elite QB.

11. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

top ten in madden means he's already an elite. derp.

12. Grforces

Grforces Veteran

LMAO! He dint do that bad with interceptions. He threw 15 and had 29 TD's. Its not great but its also not bad. It wasent a secret that we were gonna throw. Plus our O line sux.

13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Only two things - playoff wins and consistency. Those two things should go together.

14. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Already ther stat-wise for me. National recognition, being down in the 4th, taking charge and pulling home the win on his arm/leadership.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The biggest thing, I think, is that he has to continue to do what he is doing. Like several have already said, he has to prove he wasn't a one-hit-wonder.

winning a few important games would help too.

16. Grforces

Grforces Veteran

Your right on the stats, they are all there. I think what makes manning the best qb in the league and top 3 to ever play the game is his come backs. Something that schaub obviously lacks, but then again, Manning calls almost all the plays.

17. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

This!! He's only as good as the players around him. He has the stats. He just had key players around him last year who screwed up, not his fault!!

18. Kulluminatii

Kulluminatii Hall of Fame

If you don't consider Schaub elite, your smoking something. Yes he has room to improve, but he doesn't need to improve much to be considered a Top 5 QB. Like what has already been stated, he needs to help his team win those close games. A few come-from-behind victories would be nice as well :D.

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I believe he already is, but to be recognized I think he has to date a model or movie-star or something.

20. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Playoffs competition and playoff victories.
    Joe Montana, a rather slightly better-than-ordinary QB otherwise, parlayed
    playoff victories and ultimately SB victories into ratings as one of the greatest NFL QBs in history.