what it would take to make David a Winner

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thegr8fan, Nov 27, 2006.

1. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

David's current record with the Texans is 15-54. In order for him to have a winning record, he would have to win 12 games a season for the next 5 YEARS. That is assuming that he wins 2 of the next 5 games.

at the end of that 5 yrs, after becoming a powerhouse football team and winning 12 games a year Davids record would then become. 77-77.

5 years from now if he wins 12 games a season he will be exactly a .500 winning record QB.

2. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Football is a team sport. The 1st 4 seasons, we, as an entire team sucked. Kubiak came in this season and we have already seen some improvement in some areas. Has Carr played outstanding football? No. Has he played horrible footall? No. It seems like some around here thought Kubiak would come in here and take us to the playoffs in his first season as head coach. well, miracles do not happen overnight. In 11 games this season, we already have one more win than we did in 16 games last season. IMO, just from watching the Texans in the 1st 11 games this season, I have already seen a better team on the field this season than I ever saw in the 1st 4 seasons. We had to stomach 4 years of horrible Capers' football, I think I'll give Kubiak and Co. a season or two to see what he can do with this team. IMO we already ahad our best draft and free agent period under Kubiak, the guy is no Dom Capers. We just need to give the team as a whole some time.

3. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

. . what it would take to make David a Winner

A running game.

4. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

johnathan ogden and willie anderson...just for a season of course.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Pay him about 5 million dollars less and spend that money elsewhere. Unfortunately that is not possible.

6. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

What it would take to make David a winner? Oh, a miracle.

Even after we jettison his garbage off the team, he will inevitably be given a chance with another team and will fail there as well. He is an abject failure at QB and the longer we wait to make the move, the longer we will retard the growth of our franchise.

The guy is garbage at playing the QB position, always has been, and always will be.

YOU HOMERS WERE WRONG!!

Doug From The Woodlands

Wharton likes this.
  7. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Same old lame excuses....geez will you guys ever get a clue?

8. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

9. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Carr is not a clutch QB. I'm not doggin' him, but he's just not the kind of QB that will be able to put a team on his shoulders and carry them to victory.

With that said, Carr is the kind of QB than can manage a game and put up some good stats. BUT, he'll need a solid, dominant defense to secure close leads and seal the deal at the end of games. And a consistent running game would be nice, as well.

10. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

what it would take to make David a Winner?

Seriousely? Okay, Carr can be a winning QB if he is on a team with a dominant Defense like the Ravens a few years ago when they won the SB, with a very good Oline, a RB in the mold of LT or Faulk, a TE in the mold of Gates, a few good to excellent WR's, and a brain transplant.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I was only really disappointed in David four times yesterday.

He pretty much did what we all knew he was going to do. I was surprised to see that he racked up 320 passing yards....

1) that sack, where he ran into the smallest gap he could find in front of him.
    2) That INT....
    3) There was a play that he hit Lundy or Cook on a 2 yard dump off where he needed three yards. We didn't get that first down. But you could see on the replay from the QB POV, Owen is wide open just past Lundy/Cook..... past the first down marker. I'll have to find it on the tape, and I'll let you know.

4) Then there was the 1st & 10 play.... on the bootleg, David comes around, and has all day to throw the ball. He's looking down field, to his left, and sees nothing.... after 5 seconds or so, he decides to run the ball out of bounds on the right sideline. You can see Kevin Walter standing their 8 yards ahead of where he went out of bounds. again, I'll have to go watch the tape, so I can give you a reference to see for your self.

For the last three games, I've been giving David Props for being decisive(yes I have).... IIRC, each game, I left thinking was better than the last (for David). But now, I'm thinking he looked decisive, because he hasn't been going through his progressions. He's one reading everything right now, then checking down. That's why I believe he didn't see Owen open beyound Cook/Lundy. That's why he didn't see Walther standing uncovered right in front of him. That's why he is throwing into double & triple coverage, and not finding the wide open guy.

But I'm fine with that. I know it's going to take time for David to get to where he needs to be. This one read then Dump, or one read then run... isn't going to win us alot of games, but for now, I think it's best for David's developement. The next step will be to get him to look over the field as he is dropping back. Then he won't need anymore time than he now utilizes for the dump offs.

I don't know how long that will take though.

12. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I really think it would be best for both David and the Texans to part ways.

I'm not sure if that is feasible cap-wise or even if the coaches wish to go in a different direction but to me he needs to go somewhere else, either promote Sage or get another QB.

It just doesn't seem David is working out here. He's very talented, really nice man but perhaps it's time to just go in a different direction.

I think he's given it his best shot here, the team has tried this for 5 years now and there doesn't seem to be much progression in terms of winning. Not all his fault but you know sometimes you just have to say we tried, we failed and let's try something else.

Now cap-wise I'm probably blowing smoke and they cannot afford to just let him go or trade him.

13. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

What would it take to make David a winner?

My best guess would be if the Texans finished a season with more wins than losses.

14. touttail

touttail All Pro

Okay, look what Vince did for Tenn. He "led" a team from a 21 point deficit to win the damn game against the Giants. Carr hasn't done this in 5 years. I think Tenn is that much better overall than us.
    VY a rookie QB has heart and is a winner.

Bobby 119C

15. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

To be fair, David Carr led the Texans back from a 21 point deficit to tie the much more explosive Minnesota Vikings in 2004 to tie the game at 28 all, only to lose on a Culpepper-to-Robinson TD bomb in OT.

16. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Big Ben up in Pittsburgh says:

An O-Line so I don't get sacked 9 times a game.

Dominating defense.

Great running game.

Those are some good elements for a winning QB.

(also by not riding a motorcycle)

17. OrangeCountyTexansFan

OrangeCountyTexansFan Veteran

And the receivers to actually catch the ball. What happened yesterday?
    :texan:

18. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I see Carr as the next Raider's experiment. Perhaps we can get those 2nd and 3rd round selections back from them.

19. OrangeCountyTexansFan

OrangeCountyTexansFan Veteran

I read New York Giants in your post and just have to roll my eyes. Have you not noticed that the Giants are playing some of the worst football in the league right now? We almost beat them, and now they are playing even worse than their game against us.
    Vince Young is not the answer for Houston. Someone like Julius Jones would be.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The more I think about how ridiculous it would be to trade for Carr I do see Al Davis being that guy. Kind of him mooning Shanny and his disciples by turning a broken down "local" QB like Carr into the QB that many thought he would be.

If the Raiders truly were interested, then we surely could find a third party to orchestrate a deal with Carr, Moss and Porter involved to make it a zero sum game from a cap perspective.