What it could mean for the crediblility of the Texans if we draft Young

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Jan 12, 2006.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I don't want Young here anymore. Period. After the Rose Bowl game I did, but now, I don't. If he gets drafted here instead of someone else (I don't even like Bush all that much, either), then it will be a clear indication that this franchise is focused on making money and not winning games. Before the Rose Bowl, we had basically committed to Carr. Reeves, Casserly, and McNair all expressed their interest in signing his extension and bringing him in here for at least 2 more years. Reeves, a respsected talent coordinator that worked with many great QBs (Elway) evaluated Carr and said that he was a good QB for the future. Now, with all these Longhorn homers who are praising VY as the messiah making such a huge ruckus, the press could be so bad for the Texans if we don't draft VY that the seats won't be filled come opening day. I think that is total BS. We have to be dedicated to winning, and have to avoid the hype. If we have an answer at QB (separately evaluated by 3 people) then drafting a home-town hero to fill the seats is a sell-out money making scheme and I will lose a lot of respect for this classy organization

Jack Bauer likes this.
  2. GP

GP Go Texans!

To me, the thing that has been rubbing me wrong is this idea that the ownership is somehow OBLIGATED to take a certain player because that's what the fans want.

Absurd.

If they take Young, and especially if it was because of the outcry of fans, I'm going deeper into depression.

This team has an obligation to field the most competitive team it can, not to field the team with hometown players or who the "fans want" just to make more money.

Like I said, all Young did Wednesday night in Pasadena was to muddy the water of what had been a pretty clear body of water in terms of draft picks. And like I also said, it makes me almost wish that USC had blown them out so this whole mess never happened.

1. What QB in the NFL operates from the shotgun every play?
    2. What QB in the NFL rushes the ball as much as Young has?
    3. What QB could withstand the shaky o line we had, and the poor coaching we had?

We are in position to acquire even more draft picks for trading the No. 1 pick, and it would go along with the other top picks we have in this draft class. AND we still get a quality player at No. 3 or No. 4, and maybe even at No. 5.

But the fans want_____________.

Priceless.

3. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

Yet another thread.

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Nice observation there

5. uhcougar08

uhcougar08 SHSUKATS08

I completely agree with you on this one. It was one damn game and it is like he is the greatest thing ever. I own too much Texans stuff in my house for them to draft a guy for popularity reasons. Where were these dog gone fans after the 11 attempts for 19 yards against Texas A&M, and his 13 for 24 for 162 yards against the worst defense in the nation? Thats what I wanna know? Where were yall? You make me want to throw up. Is Bush the answer? Probably not at first, but carr is there, and now these people are turning on him, when all season long these same people were saying it was the O line, not him. I knew this crap was going to happen if they won the game. VY is a talent, but not an NFL QB. I cant wait till Bush is drafted, so these morons will shut up. I will become some other fan of another team if they draft VY for popularity reasons. Draft Bush and use him for everything he has to offer or trade. Please Texans, dont give into these stupid people and their opinion, of the only football game they watched this entire season.

6. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

So the rest of the past 3 years VY sucked?

Did you know that VY is the ONLY player in all of NCAA history to pass for 3000 yds and rush for 1000 yds in the same season?

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

He did have a good junior year, but he had average at best freshman/sophomore years:

2003 84/143 (58.7%) for 1155 6 TDs and 7 INTs
    2004 148/250 (59.2%) for 1849 12 TDs and 11 INTs

8. jmlockett

jmlockett Rookie

I would like to direct your attention to my poll. It is on the 2nd page at this time. The majority of the people that have voted, are voting on keeping Carr and working on the offensive line. I am going to keep the poll open until draft day if possible.

9. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

It's sad but true............for most...it was the only game they saw all season.

10. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Before this year Vince didn't prove very much at all. He had a very good year this year, but I don't know where this "three amazing years" argument is coming from that I've seen throughout the boards. In a way I agree that if the team drafts Vince it will somewhat damage their credibility, unless Vince somehow completely changes his throwing ability and his skills at reading defenses in the next couple months and proves that he is clearly the best player for this team, but if they do pick Vince based mainly on appeasing the local fans and media, then it will be a shame.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

The only real problem that I have with all the hype is when they put down Carr, who has taken hit after hit and put up with dropped pass after dropped pass. He also had to put up with a coaching staff that stifled his play in several ways, the most recently uncovered of which was not letting him call his own plays.

Not saying that he has proven that he is a stud, but he really hasn't had a chance to prove it and I don't care how long it's been. He still hasn't been protected and had the right receivers on the field.

12. uhcougar08

uhcougar08 SHSUKATS08

My whole point, is I am amazed how everyone jumped on the bandwagon from one single game.

Atleast I jumped on Reggie Bush's Bandwagon after his frosh season, see my point.

It is a shame that we live in a world that is a "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

Reggie has been amazing fro three strait years, not a couple of games, and yes I did say VY was amazing in one game.

13. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

He has a 30-2 career record as a starter. He won the MVP of the Rose Bowl last year and set several records in that game including TD's by one player.

When you and others say things like your statement above, then trash VY, you lose all credibility with me.

14. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I have to say that I lose some respect for them for cratering to the public frenzy. Back in 1999, the Eagle's fans really wanted Ricky Williams. They took Donovan McNabb instead. It was a very unpopular move, but it was the right move for the team long-term.

15. Dennis007

Dennis007 Rookie

Since when within a 4 year period can you not show "potential"?!. No one is putting down Carr but the guy is not Franchise QB material, doesn't mean he can't contribute - somewhere else- but I don't think it's working out here.

Reggie and Vince , wee're coming to get ya.:redtowel:

Trade Carr.

16. uhcougar08

uhcougar08 SHSUKATS08

Why are you so high on Vince?

17. Dennis007

Dennis007 Rookie

Because I am tired of being at the bottom of the barrel with David.

You should be too.:goodnight

18. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

OK, well that is more of a legitimate concern. But before the Rose Bowl VY was almost certain to stay for his Senior season. I have been following VY since he declared for UT and was awestruck by him since his first start at QB for the Longhorns. He has amazed me literally dozens of times over the past 3 years. I have been singing his praises for a long, long time. I wrote this on this board back in early November:

I have watched football for 30 years. The only player who ever got me excited to watch was Earl Campbell...until Vince Young. If we draft him and he does well he will become a legend in Houston for generations. This chance does not come around very often.

Vince will become a force to be reckoned with in the NFL. I am sure of it.

19. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yeah hes had 4 years, with a picket fence of an oline, a fragil RB who plays 2 games then disappears for 1. ONE receiving threat. No TE. No defense, even though they drafted, traded, and wasted FA money on worthless talent. Play calling and coaching were horrid. Im not making excuses for Carr but these are legitament reasons the man hasent been able to assert himself as "The Franchise". He has proven something VY hasnt in the pros, that no matter how hard you hit him, he gets up and fights. Alot of QB's would ***** and throw a fit yet he keeps smiling and goes back to work.

20. uhcougar08

uhcougar08 SHSUKATS08

So, your saying the O-Line is great. If you are, go ahead back VY, yall will need help together.