What is up with Bradford

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by yaboycm, Mar 9, 2005.

1. yaboycm

yaboycm Veteran

Has anyone heard anything about retaining Corey SADford? I hope that Casserly has the sense not to retain this sad sack. He has constantly underachieved while he has been with the Texans.

Year 1 - Terrible #1 Receiver
    Year 2 - Lost starting spot to Gaffney
    Year 3 - Ranked fourth on the team in WR catches. Armstrong, the 4th receiver on the depth chart, had more catches and yards than Bradford.
    Year 4 - ADIOS Corey. Go somewhere else and steal money.

ALL SADFORD DID WAS DROP EASY BALLS and make 1 or 2 catches a year where you said, "was that really Bradford who caught that ball?"

The guy is terrible, get him off the team.

In my ideal situation we would trade up to take Mike Williams. I think he is a very special player and would compliment Johnson very well. They are both deep threats who can also run crossing routes, posts, and outs. Then you have Miller going across the middle, Davis up the middle and in the flat, and Gaffney running short possession routes. Our offense would be scary. Not only would we rack up yards like early in the year last year, but assuming Palmer calls the right plays, which is a BIG assumption, we would put it in the end zone. Did people forget what Mike Williams did in college? The guy dominated. Week after week he was one of the best WRs in college football. In an era where cornerbacks are dominated by 5'11" speed guys, it would be sacry throwing jump balls and deep balls to a 6'3" Johnson and 6'5" Williams who would be covered by 5'11" corners. The Colts could no longer focus on taking Johnson out of the game and making the rest of the receivers beat them. If they want to continue to roll a safety over to help the corner on Johnson, I'll take Williams one on one all day and Gaffney one on one on the 3rd corner all day. Then go hit Miller or Davis if a linebacker covers them.

Casserly - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT GO AFTER ANOTHER TIGHT END THIS OFFSEASON EITHER VIA THE DRAFT OR FREE AGENCY OR WHATEVER WAY YOU CAN THINK OF TO PICK UP A TIGHT END LIKE OFF THE STREETS A LA THE EAGLES.

ALSO, GET BILLY MILLER THE BALL. ALL HE DOES IS MAKE PLAYS. WE NEED TO GET HIM IN THE GAME, CALL PLAYS FOR HIM AND THROW HIM THE BALL.

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Corey Bradford is what he is, I don't see any reason to mock him over this. He did well here within the limits of his talent and made some big plays which is what you get with Corey Bradford. Some big plays along with a few heartbreaking drops every year. You make out like he's the Matt Stevens of the offense or something and signing him was a bad idea. That's just not the case.

It's not like there was a line of free agent HOF recievers a mile long trying to get on the Texans roster in 2002 and they wanted to come here so bad they'd play for the minimum just to be on that new team in Houston. Right now the Texans look pretty good at WR but put it in context man. In 2002 Bradford was the best WR we had. I think the only one left from that year now is Gaffney (could be wrong about that) and he was a rookie. We were so hard up for WR talent that we even tried to get Jermaine Lewis to catch a pass and he was terrible.

Ease up on Bradford. No I don't think the Texans need to re-sign him but show some respect for the plays he made here and his contribution to getting the Texans off the ground. Say goodbye to him and wish him well, unless he's playing the Texans.

3. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Cak posted this is another thread and I am going to steal it: Bradford had 1, yes ONE, drop last year.

This "Bradford drops everything" isnt correct.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Thanks Fiddy. To be specific, Bradford had 4 drops in 106 targets in the last 2 years. Look around the league at the top guys and you will find 6-8% drops is good.

It is two years past 2002 now folks. Drops are not the reason to cap on Bradford. Running good routes, getting open, winning Carr's trust--we can talk about those, but *****ing about his drops as any kind of recent news is ignorant.

5. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

ya know if not for bradford in 02 we wouldnt of had any kind of passing game. I dont see why you people like to hate on him so much ! And they ^^ are correct he dont drop near as many passes as some claim !

6. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

Remember Bradford was on the recieving end of a football that beat the Cowboys. I will always have a little place in my heart for that player.

7. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

no reason to hate, maybe it is just a situation where he can sign with a team that is OK with him running straight lines.

8. Joebert

Joebert Waterboy

Aren't we going to miss him?

9. Anishin

Anishin Rookie

Was it just me, or did Armstrong impress the hell out of anybody else last year. Good hands, attacks the ball instead of just letting it get to him. I'm not sure he's a #2, or at least our #2, but I do want to see the ball in his hands some more.

EDIT: Sorry Mooney, didn't read through all the posts like I should have.

10. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

does armstrong really have the speed we need to be our number 2 guy ?? He looks kinda slow to me !

11. Holden135

Holden135 Veteran

Armstrong had a decent year but i look for gaffney to have a bit of a break through year. He had his best season as a texan last year. It seemed like he had at least 2 or 3 catches a game in the 10-20 yard range which is big because we dont really have anyone who makes plays in that area. Don't get me wrong im not taking anything away from Dre but the way he has been used is by going deep with him or throwing those short passes to him and letting him run a few guys over. With Gaffney in there he tends to spread the field a little more.

If we can get another wr through the draft(like our second round pick which is still a good time to get a solid wr) along with our utilization of davis out of the back feild i think we can have a big year through the air. That is of course if Carr isnt on his back all game long.

12. Dionysus22

Dionysus22 Veteran

All of this would be great but how can you get the ball to all of these people when Carr only has 2.5 seconds to throw the ball. It's a nice thought but we gotta beef up the front line first.

13. THEFUTURE

THEFUTURE All Pro

it has been said numerous times, armstrong and gaffney are slot receivers, they both are good route runners and know how to pick apart zones, but being a #2 is diff. they need above avg speed, need to seperate themselves from the corners when they are covered in man to man, they are simply just a classic #3 slot receiver, with a lot of smarts, and knows how to take what the defense gives, sit in holes in zones... so its really either starling comes out of no where to be a number 2, or we sign a number 2, or we draft a number 2... i say we draft Mike Williams, i think he has more talent then anyone we could sign, and starling does have talent, but Williams was a top 5 pick if he was allowed to enter the draft last year

14. THEFUTURE

THEFUTURE All Pro

but we wont need to trade up to get mike, he will be there at 13

15. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

Mike is going to be picked in the top 5. Did you read about his workout in Tampa? The Bucs, Bears, and Vikings are interested and have the leverage to get him. So quit thinking that the Texans will get him I just hope that by a miracle DJ drops to us so losing Sharper is not so bad.

16. Joebert

Joebert Waterboy

He was the deep threat.

17. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I am not trying to defend Bradford here, but a lot of people have been talking about how he did not produce last season, it seems a lot of people forget what David Carr's pattern was last season. It went something like this, option #1 was AJ, AJ's not open look to Domanick, Domanick's not open scramble until sacked with a few passes to Gaff mixed in.

18. powda

powda Hall of Fame

not to be confused with bradford's pattern:

step 1
    run route (bad route)

step 2
    get absolutley no seperation.

step 3
    on the rare occasion you do get seperation and the ball is thrown your way : drop the freaking pass!

step 4
    complain to the media about a lack of oppurtunities.

(repeat the process all while being severly overpaid...)

dont let the door hit you on your way out.

19. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Bradford had one drop last season....and another interesting stat about Bradford, in the threee seasons he has been with us he has never fumbled once...

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Bradford is a Burner - he can fly and because of that was a big time playmaker for us in some games. Besides the Cowboys game, he hit a big Home Run in the season opener last year against Miami. But he was very
    inconsistant and certainly dropped far too many balls.
    I feel comfortable with out wide receivers - with or without Bradford. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to upgrade #2 to someone like this Williamson kid from S.Carolina, but the thing I'm anxious about in out passing game is TE. Hope Joppru gets it done this year, but if he can't they need a plan B.
    That's the big ? mark in our passing game, that and the pass protection for
    DC.