What is Carr worth in a trade?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texan in Japan, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

After the Rose Bowl, my son and I talked about who we could trade Carr to if VY did come out and we took him #1.

I'm interested in what ya'll think...I've got to head to work, but will post our thoughts later.

Any ideas?

2. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

They'd probably get some good players for him. According to some of J. McClains sources there are reportedly a bunch of teams that have shown interest in Carr, but its not even worth talking about now since Casserly already stated that Carr is staying.

3. zeplin

zeplin Veteran

CARR IS STAYING SO FORGET VY. It just not going to happen!!

4. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

your gonna pay the 8 million extension so you can trade him? doesnt sound very smart. If you DONT pay the extension he is a free agent and you cant trade him.

5. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

As far as I remember, Casserly said they were going to pick up the option on Carr's contract and also that Lienart wouldn't be with the Texans next year.
    This doesn't preclude signing Carr and then trading him...
    Also, this was all before VY lit the world on fire, and at the time it seemed a lot more likely that VY wasn't coming out.
    If he comes out, I will allow the Texans a mulligan with their draft strategy...

6. UGA

UGA Rookie

if im not mistaken a team that picked him up in the trade would be on the hook for the contract.

we could get a 1st rounder for Carr... he is thought of pretty well by many teams since he's young, tough and has a live arm.

he could be traded to the Jets. they arent getting Bush, Leinert or Young with their pick and they need a young qb for the future since Chad "whiffle ball" Pennington has a glass shoulder.

7. Chaft

Chaft Rookie

I doubt Carr would fetch a 1st rounder in a trade due to the base salary in his contract per year. It's $5 million. That's a lot of money considering this $5 million figure was negotiated before Carr was signed as a rookie. The salary would be appropriate for a Pro Bowler at QB. 2nd round pick max.

Also, the Texans would get decimated next year with the cap hit from the acceleration of the option bonus. No 2nd round pick is worth that much.

8. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

The bigger problem is Casserly is staying. That loser shouldn't even be here making any decisions.

9. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:redtowel: Carr to the Raiders for Robert Gallery . I hope this does'nt get me another - mark .

10. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

If we want Vince Young and I am sayign IF we do here is what we oughta do:

We sign Carr to a two year deal and have Vince SIT for the season. During that time we showcase Carr and show off his prowess. At the end of the season we then dangle Carr to teams that need a QB. We can likely pick up a second rounder for Carr if he can have a good season. Perhaps some team would be desperate enough to give up a first. I would let Vince sit and learn the system and then let him go at it in 07. But then again, my name is not Charlie Casserly or Mr. McNair so...:twocents:

11. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

The problem with giving him another chance is that if he doesn't succeed after new coaching and a better line, the pool of current excuses will have dried up and his trade value will have diminished. Casserly and them, if they keep Carr, BETTER BE CONVINCED those are the real problems. If Casserly gives him another chance to succeed to save a little more face ala Tony Hollings, and screws this franchise over even more...well, I would not want to be Charley Casserly.

12. CaptainPatriot

CaptainPatriot Veteran

Here in lies are problem (cASSerly)! How is it he still here? With his 3rd round draft picks formula!:brickwall

13. bubbajaxonbrown

bubbajaxonbrown Rookie

This is a dumb dream but...

Trade Carr to NO for their pick since noone wants to go there. They're as desparate for a QB as we are to get rid of damaged goods. We now have the top 2 picks in the draft. Pick Bush #1, Young #2 and start over with a new coach. It would be like getting another shot at expansion.

I know this will not happen b/c Casserly wouldn't want to admit any of his #1 picks were wrong. Unfortunately we're riding Carr all the way until it's either too late or he is an MVP. But it sure is fun to imagin a Young/Bush backfield to move forward with (especially with this OL).

14. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:redtowel: Its always better to trade a player a year early rather than a year late . If the Texans are going to keep Carr they better do it quick( bonus ) .

15. bigcarlos

bigcarlos Veteran

a 3rd round sounds fair

16. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

I could see Carr going to the Raiders, Dolphins, or even Redskins and doing pretty well.

17. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

But, how could we not take young? This guy is a once in a century QB. Look what he did. He can outrun speeding locomotives and leap over tall buildings in a single bound. He can do everything Bush could do before the Rose Bowl when he lost his powers. :)

18. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

That is certainly one possibility if we used the CIN approach and if he has success then his value in a trade would be higher, if we still decided to trade him.

19. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

I've always been pro-Carr, while my son has never liked him much. IMHO his value is higher now because of the following...

- He's proven to be almost indestructable; no QB has taken the beatings David has and he keeps coming back...seems Jets, Rams, etc. could really appreciate that attribute

- He's got great physical tools

- He's a solid citizen

- He's survived despite, questionable coaching, line play and supporting cast

- His stats aren't really that bad

Put all of that together and market him to places like New York (Jets), Miami, Oakland, Arizona, St. Louis, Green Bay, Tampa Bay and New Orleans. See who comes up w/best package. Again, IMHO I think he's worth gambling a mid-to-late 1st pick. I mean if Drew Henson was worth a 3rd, c'mon. If we could get a high 2nd from one of those teams with a TBD pick in 07 (say 1-4) then I'd be happy to add VY and send David to a fresh start.

I really don't want to dump Carr, but VY just seems to have the total pkg. The way he hangs in against the rush and ALWAYS makes the big play. He's just a pure WINNER.

Now I understand that we need much more to make us competitive and believe that DC's value could help us fill some more holes.

For example, we could send Carr, Morency to ARZ for their 1st and change. Gives them possibly two starters and allows them to address other needs. There are many possibilities. Many times we don't appreciate what we've got...there are far worse QBs to have than DC, but VY just seems special.

20. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro