Spencer returns and becomes a starter at some point this season and Black
solidifies LT until then
Schaub is sacked "only" 32 times.
Jacoby is the real deal & becomes a solid #2
Green has a 1,000 yd season
Dayne continues where he left off and remains healthy
Linebackers play just to their potential
We find we have a solid # 2 CB on the team
Mathis returns to form as a returner and has good but not even a pro bowl year & then actually catches 10 -15 passes.

All this is possible and makes me giddy.

If Mario and Okoye combine for 12 sacks, it will be a disappointment. Mario needs to have at least 10 sacks to not have the bust label written on him. If they combine for 16-18 sacks, then I'll be giddy.

12 combined sacks is not acceptable. Mario went number 1, is not a rookie anymore, supposedly his toes are fine, he better get close to 12 by himself. Okoye, as a DT, should get around 4.

Only 18 guys got 10 or more sacks last year. 21 guys had between 7 and 9.5 sacks. link

If both of our guys can make either one of those lists I would be happy. Looking at that list DT is by far the least likely to get 10 or more.

It would be nice if Mario & Amobi would rack up more than 12 sacks, more like 15- 17 range, maybe wishfull thinking on my part. Who knows, maybe Babs might become a 8-10 sack guy, or T.J. will finally live up to his potential & wreck hovac! Or.....maybe I will take a nap now.:pirate: :cowboy1:

my guess is around 8 to 12 for mario, 4 to 7 for okoye, 5 to 8 for babin, the rest combined for 7 to 10 more. what would be really great is for our sacks allowed total to be near or less than our sacks given. then we will be doin somethin.

If Mario doesn't hit double digits this year, consider his season a definite disappointment. Stats aren't as important in football as baseball (I'm thankful for that), but they are nevertheless important.
10 sacks in an NFL season is averaging only slightly more than a sack every other game, and that should be the very low end of the expectation-range for the 2006 NFL Drafts numero uno now that he's completed his rookie season.

I could be wrong, but throughout the 25 plus years I've spent watching footbal, pass rushing in the NFL(AFL) has allways been a job that required players to rebuild their skill sets. more so than say defensive back, linebacker, etc. It allways seems to be the 2nd or 3rd year that defensive lineman begin to get all the moves and the timing down to where they can manipulate the guys on the other side of the ball enough to start to dominate. alot of these guys in college were awesome specimens, overshadowing their competition and accomplishing some amazing things, but then they get to the NFL and they face offensive lineman that are the cream of the crop usually, even in the NFL and they struggle a few years to hone the skills needed to move 320 pound supermen who have massive legs and quick footwork. I would guess that in college these defensive lineman could basicly overpower most of their competition so all the fancy moves of the NFL were not required. Now they find they have quite a ways to go to reach the greatness they enjoyed in college. just my 2cents.....

if HALF of those "what ifs" go our way i think a lot of people are going to be pretty stoked about this team. i would be. i agree with everybody that the dline needs to produce more though. with that said, i think our dline turns it up a BIG notch and becomes one of the more feared lines this year, especially if tj or babin really start to bring it.
This was my point KJ3.All "what if" are reachable not pipe dream goals. We could have a very positive year as fans and really enjoy a season. It has been a while for that, for me anyway. I agree with the above post that says Dline get better in 2nd year. Mario should do very well and 8 sacks by him would tie the most ever for Texans and 4 by Okoye is very reasonable. Do we want more? Duh. But these are solid steps forward and would indicate very good things in 2008. On paper it appears linebackers and the dline have been strengthened. This also benefits the offense knowing that if they give the ball up, it might not necessarily mean guaranteed points to other team. I am going to focus on #2 WR & #2 CB in training camp.

Back