Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What If We Traded...

K

KJ3

Andre Johnson? surely we would pick up a couple of picks for him right?

and in all reality, i wouldn't want to trade him but...if it worked out well enough to make the team better...would you do it?

and in all reality, i wouldn't want to trade him but...if it worked out well enough to make the team better...would you do it?

No! I'm not a big fan of the dropped ball syndrom that he suffered from this season,but if we got rid of Dre who are we going to throw to? I think that the best thing to do is quit making Andre the first read and spread the ball around more,get it Moulds,Mathis or whoever. Once the coverage loosens up on Andre then you hit him on the deep ball or the 27 yard pick up(Colts game for a field goal) JMO!

Under the premise of a good trade has to hurt for it to be a good trade, I thought about posting a similar thread around the Pro Bowl. Kudos to you for having the stones to do so. I did not.

AJ is one of the guys I have a man-crush on, by the way. He is a solid contributor and leader on our team. I do not want to trade him.

What spurred the thought was a posting that I saw from someone (cannot recall whom) wanting us to trade our #8 to NE for their 2 first rounders. I did not think that NE would bite at this.

Nor do I think NE would be interested in, nor should the Texans offer, AJ for the 2 first rounders. But, just for argument's sake:

AJ is proven receiver. NE needs a receiver since Branch's departure.
AJ is a pro-bowler.
Texans have lots of holes to fill.

I still say no way to this trade scenario. AJ is a big component of our team. I would need something more in return (pretending I am the GM). I just don't see it happening. Which is part of the reason I shied about from the original post. Again, kudos to you for having the guts to broach the topic.

If we had a capable QB, AJ would be the best receiver in the game...He is barely gonna enter his prime...

Yes, under one condition, Oakland takes him for the #1 pick and the Texans can select Calvin Johnson.

Yes, under one condition, Oakland takes him for the #1 pick and the Texans can select Calvin Johnson.

that will never happen!!! And why whan another reciever that hasent proven himself at the NFL level when you already have a pro bowler

Then you'd be essentially be trading Andre for an unproven rookie.

:crazy:

Andre is definately worth a pretty penny on the NFL market, but what could possibly justify trading, who could quite possibly be, the most elite receiver in the NFL just to create yet another hole to fill.

I concurr.

Does a guy that is supposedly a quarterback away from being the premier receiver drop as many balls as AJ??

He needs to work on his own game to get to that next level, not just have a change of QB.

As for the trade, I would look at a good enough offer.

WR in my opinion is a pretty low priority on a football team. Look what the potent Chiefs offenses have done with nobodies for wide outs, not to mention the Patriots last year.

Then Mario for the 4th pick so we can get Jammal Andersson...

AJ is one of the few pieces of our offense that is in place. We need to build around him.

id trade aj to NE...for chad jackson + 2 1st picks and their 2nd and 3rd.

chad jackson
3 1st rounders
2 2nds
2 3rds

1st brown OT, willis LB, houston CB
2nd meriweather FS, bush RB
3rd brown DT, jacoby jones WR

get that franchise left tackle and a demeco clone in willis. grab a dunta-esque player in houston. meriweather rounds out the secondary and grab michael bush to be our feature back (unless his injury is cause for concern). take brown to play next to mario and pick jones to be our 3rd WR and groomed to take over for moulds when he leaves/retires.

Not long ago I posted a similar thread and got run out of town also. I think AJ is a great receiver but his contract expires after 2 more seasons. My thoughts were where will the team be realistically in 2009? He has been pro bowler 2 of 3 years & no reason to doubt a 1 of 2 at least next 2 seasons. If you were Andre's agent would you not be smacking your lips to test that free agent market? So do you ride him for two years and hope you put enough together to do without him in 09? Do you break the bank to resign him as a restricted F/A? Moulds will also be gone and Mathis may not be on roster at end of this season. Most do not have us selecting a receiver in first 5 rounds this year & I do not want to hear about Anderson who has done nothing to break into top 3 w/r. And for every 7th round starter (N.O.) you have 20 that do not. Personally I keep AJ and draft for his position in 08 and/or 09. If we draft well this year we could resolve rb, ot, Lb and possibly a QB. We should be able to get one of the top two corners in F/A.

I don't think anyone wants to see AJ leave. And, I'd be even more upset to lose DeMeco Ryans. But with that said, I don't see that they or any other players are so indispensible that they absolutely could not be traded. It would have to be a ridiculously good trade (from our side), but I'd consider it.

I was a Cowboys fan when the Herschel Walker trade happened. At the time, I hated the idea of losing the one "star" player on the team, the one I thought the team should build around, etc. But, the deal ended up making a huge difference in the Cowboys' ability to become and stay competetive for Super Bowls. If losing AJ (or someone else) meant that the Texans would have a good shot at competing for Super Bowls for years to come, I'd certainly take it.

so it seems like if we got a good enough deal for him...most of the people would take it. but "good enough deal" is a pretty broad-ass phrase...what exactly would be good enough? and uh...chad jackson isn't all that great AND he plays for the bengals...but nice try, better luck next time dude.

i think if new england wanted him, i would take their 2 first rounders. maybe try to sneak an o-lineman away from them too.
And then who are your receivers? Moulds?That is one way he could become a '1' again.

so it seems like if we got a good enough deal for him...most of the people would take it. but "good enough deal" is a pretty broad-ass phrase...what exactly would be good enough? and uh...chad jackson isn't all that great AND he plays for the bengals...but nice try, better luck next time dude.

i think if new england wanted him, i would take their 2 first rounders. maybe try to sneak an o-lineman away from them too.

I would consider that

i have no interest in trading andre johnson unless you are gonna give me the following:

peyton manning
marvin harrison
dwight freeney

i have no interest in trading andre johnson unless you are gonna give me the following:

peyton manning
marvin harrison
dwight freeney

I hope you are not serious... he is a WR. Not a premier QB or a Premier DE.... a WR.

I realise there is probably a degree of exaggeration here but I think that he is being wildly overvalued.

Nobody would trade their top receiver for andre (like chad johnson, marvin harrison..etc) An interesting trade would be for Calvin Johnson. But in all reality it would cost us a lot to trade him..cap wise...and i dont see us getting above and beyond that amount from anybody. Maybe like 2 or 3 1st round picks in 3 consecutive years?

Look the only time I bring this up is when casual football fans this time of year post that the Texan's are going to take a reciever high in the draft. Rep your way for recognizing the trouble we're in. But andre Johnson is our best player. I can't see how we'll ever get better if we push our good guys out the door. I agree, once DC is done...the dominoes will fall. Makes no sense to have a top five reciever with no one to get him the ball. On the other hand I wouldn't part with A.J. for anything less than two ones and two twoes. He's that good. Anyone we could possably get in the draft except Calvin Johnson is going to have a risk. I see no one in the NFL who is in a position to make that kind of block buster deal. But again, rep your way for recognizing the trouble we're in.

id trade aj to NE...for chad jackson + 2 1st picks and their 2nd and 3rd.

chad jackson
3 1st rounders
2 2nds
2 3rds

1st brown OT, willis LB, houston CB
2nd meriweather FS, bush RB
3rd brown DT, jacoby jones WR

get that franchise left tackle and a demeco clone in willis. grab a dunta-esque player in houston. meriweather rounds out the secondary and grab michael bush to be our feature back (unless his injury is cause for concern). take brown to play next to mario and pick jones to be our 3rd WR and groomed to take over for moulds when he leaves/retires.

You're mock is making the supositon that ten teams that need a OLT prospect
will let Levi Brown float on by. Brown, my book says may not make it past the Cardinals, much less the Bills, Cowboys, Cincinatti... see what I'm saying ?

Without Brown in the equation we're getting hosed.

You're mock is making the supositon that ten teams that need a OLT prospect
will let Levi Brown float on by. Brown, my book says may not make it past the Cardinals, much less the Bills, Cowboys, Cincinatti... see what I'm saying ?

Without Brown in the equation we're getting hosed.

I think that would be us picking Levi Brown at 8...which he should be there.
Then we'd be hoping that the teams that need a LB in patrick willis pass him up...and then houston would be the other one.

Willis would be the pick we probably wouldn't get not brown.

I'd take that trade without chad jackson. except we might have to draft meachem or rice ...maybe bowe.

hmm i forgot this is about andre johnson, our only 'great' player on offense.

Why don't we do this:

Trade Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, Dunta Robinson, DeMeco Ryans, and Mario Williams to Minnesota for some unused farmland? LOL.

It wouldn't surprise me, given our track record of going after some awful players and making dumb decisions.

I think that would be us picking Levi Brown at 8...which he should be there.
Then we'd be hoping that the teams that need a LB in patrick willis pass him up...and then houston would be the other one.

Willis would be the pick we probably wouldn't get not brown.

I'd take that trade without chad jackson. except we might have to draft meachem or rice ...maybe bowe.

My bad. you're correct. The wolf in new England is not going to do this. If anything...he'll bargin one of his first this year into a frist round in pick in '08 with some one with a decent day one pick(s) to swap. Someone gets antsie below him, he'll stick it to 'em for sure. He has a system. And his system works in the cap dollar era. They tagged Samuels this week. All he is looking for now is to shore stuff up. The old linebackers, bragins at WR, DB, o-line guys to groom. He does the front office stuff very, very well.

It's a happy though, but I don't think Belichick bites on this one. Good thought though. Keep it up.

Why don't we give Carr $8,000,000 to stay then pay him another $5,000,000 to play, pass on 3 franchise QBs, then cut Carr so we can charge another $4,000,000 to the books. Bring in another QB that we can give another $8,000,000 signing bonus and another $5,000,000 to play. That's a $30,000,000 decision. These folks are trying to make Casserly look like a Genius.

Why don't we give Carr $8,000,000 to stay then pay him another $5,000,000 to play, pass on 3 franchise QBs, then cut Carr so we can charge another $4,000,000 to the books. Bring in another QB that we can give another $8,000,000 signing bonus and another $5,000,000 to play. That's a $30,000,000 decision. These folks are trying to make Casserly look like a Genius.

Someone on the bull pen posted yesterday that an am station reported the guys the Texan's front office asked several players to renegotiate thier contracts. DC wasn't mentioned. Either they're going with him again or they've already made the decision on him. I'm reading it they've already decided to cut the cord. Just understand, and I understand your frustration on DC, desiring something is not the same thing as actually getting it. This is not a happy thing. It means the orginal decision to draft Carr over Peppers was incorect. It means that we over estimated the support DC or any young QB, would require to become a functioning QB on an expansion team. It means we have to live with a perinial almost had with poor interception numbers for at least two seasons and maybe more. It means, that we'll have to restart up with a young guy to groom to get ready for a shot in the future. It means, the Texans failed big time.

Now starting over happens all of the time in the NFL. But with our lines at critical mass...whoever they bring in, with out an improvement there on the lines, is going to struggle. I don't care who it is. Just prepare youself there. This isn't a happy thing.

Now starting over happens all of the time in the NFL. But with our lines at critical mass...whoever they bring in, with out an improvement there on the lines, is going to struggle. I don't care who it is. Just prepare youself there. This isn't a happy thing.

I think I agree with you. The lines do need to be fixed, ASAP. Fix them! They have ready spent $13,000,000 for Carr. They made the decision on David, live with it until you fix the OLine at least. Now is not the time to spend another $10,000,000 to fix the $13,000,000 you already spent. Take the money you save in keeping Carr, the signing bonus for you would pay another retread and put it into fixing the line first. The dead cap money you save for not cutting/trading Carr plus the new signing bonus you would have to pay for Plummer would go along way in signing Pettigout. If they continue to spend money like a drunk sailor the Texans will continue to be the laughing stock of the NFL.

Next year is a much better year for drafting QBs. Take your shot then in the draft or FA and plan for that person to be your QB in 08 or 09 now that you have a better than average OLine.

Would you rather have a chance to sign Pettigout or Plummer? Where do you spend the money?

Pettigout -Pitts-Weary-Winston-Spencer, doesn't look to bad????

Research next time before you get all crass with people. Chad Jackson does not play for the Bengals. If you did some research, you'd find out he was talking about Chad Jackson, star receiver for the Florida Gators in 2005. We're talking about Chad Jackson who ran the fastest, or second fastest, 40 yd dash time in the combine last year. We're talking about Chad Jackson who plays for the New England Patriots and looks to be an up and coming star for that team. Just check out Chad Jackson's numbers from this year. So please, next time, do the research.

Would you rather have a chance to sign Pettigout or Plummer? Where do you spend the money?

Pettigout -Pitts-Weary-Winston-Spencer, doesn't look to bad????

In my opinion, Chester Pitts is THE worst starting LG i've seen in a while. OK, there might be a few others that are worse...lol. I'm just saying I think a guy like Eric Steinbach would take over for Pitts and be a definite upgrade. Charles Spencer likely will not be ready to start the season, and he may never be back at 100%. Zach Wiegert is terrible and should be traded/released. Tony Ugoh in the second round seems to help remedy this problem. That means your depth chart at OL looks like:

Ephraim Salaam/Tony Ugoh (starter a couple games in)
Eric Steinbach/Fred Weary
Steve McKinney/Drew Hodgdon
Fred Weary/Chester Pitts
Eric Winston/???

That looks very promising to me.

Back