What If We Traded...

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by KJ3, Feb 16, 2007.

1. KJ3

KJ3 Guest

Andre Johnson? surely we would pick up a couple of picks for him right?

and in all reality, i wouldn't want to trade him but...if it worked out well enough to make the team better...would you do it?

threetoedpete likes this.
  2. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

3. ib4texans

ib4texans Veteran

No! I'm not a big fan of the dropped ball syndrom that he suffered from this season,but if we got rid of Dre who are we going to throw to? I think that the best thing to do is quit making Andre the first read and spread the ball around more,get it Moulds,Mathis or whoever. Once the coverage loosens up on Andre then you hit him on the deep ball or the 27 yard pick up(Colts game for a field goal) JMO!

4. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

Under the premise of a good trade has to hurt for it to be a good trade, I thought about posting a similar thread around the Pro Bowl. Kudos to you for having the stones to do so. I did not.

AJ is one of the guys I have a man-crush on, by the way. He is a solid contributor and leader on our team. I do not want to trade him.

What spurred the thought was a posting that I saw from someone (cannot recall whom) wanting us to trade our #8 to NE for their 2 first rounders. I did not think that NE would bite at this.

Nor do I think NE would be interested in, nor should the Texans offer, AJ for the 2 first rounders. But, just for argument's sake:

AJ is proven receiver. NE needs a receiver since Branch's departure.
    AJ is a pro-bowler.
    Texans have lots of holes to fill.

I still say no way to this trade scenario. AJ is a big component of our team. I would need something more in return (pretending I am the GM). I just don't see it happening. Which is part of the reason I shied about from the original post. Again, kudos to you for having the guts to broach the topic.

5. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

If we had a capable QB, AJ would be the best receiver in the game...He is barely gonna enter his prime...

6. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Yes, under one condition, Oakland takes him for the #1 pick and the Texans can select Calvin Johnson.

7. real

real Guest

Then you'd be essentially be trading Andre for an unproven rookie.

:crazy:

8. texans83

texans83 All Pro

that will never happen!!! And why whan another reciever that hasent proven himself at the NFL level when you already have a pro bowler

9. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

Andre is definately worth a pretty penny on the NFL market, but what could possibly justify trading, who could quite possibly be, the most elite receiver in the NFL just to create yet another hole to fill.

I concurr.

10. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Does a guy that is supposedly a quarterback away from being the premier receiver drop as many balls as AJ??

He needs to work on his own game to get to that next level, not just have a change of QB.

As for the trade, I would look at a good enough offer.

WR in my opinion is a pretty low priority on a football team. Look what the potent Chiefs offenses have done with nobodies for wide outs, not to mention the Patriots last year.

11. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Then after that we can trade DeMeco Ryans for a mid 1st round pick so we can draft Patrick Willis. :slap:

12. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Then Mario for the 4th pick so we can get Jammal Andersson...

AJ is one of the few pieces of our offense that is in place. We need to build around him.

13. htownfoozball

htownfoozball Veteran

id trade aj to NE...for chad jackson + 2 1st picks and their 2nd and 3rd.

chad jackson
    3 1st rounders
    2 2nds
    2 3rds

1st brown OT, willis LB, houston CB
    2nd meriweather FS, bush RB
    3rd brown DT, jacoby jones WR

get that franchise left tackle and a demeco clone in willis. grab a dunta-esque player in houston. meriweather rounds out the secondary and grab michael bush to be our feature back (unless his injury is cause for concern). take brown to play next to mario and pick jones to be our 3rd WR and groomed to take over for moulds when he leaves/retires.

14. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Not long ago I posted a similar thread and got run out of town also. I think AJ is a great receiver but his contract expires after 2 more seasons. My thoughts were where will the team be realistically in 2009? He has been pro bowler 2 of 3 years & no reason to doubt a 1 of 2 at least next 2 seasons. If you were Andre's agent would you not be smacking your lips to test that free agent market? So do you ride him for two years and hope you put enough together to do without him in 09? Do you break the bank to resign him as a restricted F/A? Moulds will also be gone and Mathis may not be on roster at end of this season. Most do not have us selecting a receiver in first 5 rounds this year & I do not want to hear about Anderson who has done nothing to break into top 3 w/r. And for every 7th round starter (N.O.) you have 20 that do not. Personally I keep AJ and draft for his position in 08 and/or 09. If we draft well this year we could resolve rb, ot, Lb and possibly a QB. We should be able to get one of the top two corners in F/A.

15. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

I don't think anyone wants to see AJ leave. And, I'd be even more upset to lose DeMeco Ryans. But with that said, I don't see that they or any other players are so indispensible that they absolutely could not be traded. It would have to be a ridiculously good trade (from our side), but I'd consider it.

I was a Cowboys fan when the Herschel Walker trade happened. At the time, I hated the idea of losing the one "star" player on the team, the one I thought the team should build around, etc. But, the deal ended up making a huge difference in the Cowboys' ability to become and stay competetive for Super Bowls. If losing AJ (or someone else) meant that the Texans would have a good shot at competing for Super Bowls for years to come, I'd certainly take it.

16. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

And then who are your receivers? Moulds?That is one way he could become a '1' again.

17. texans83

texans83 All Pro

I would consider that

18. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Nope, Johnson is better than TO and Moss, Willis does not have those kind of credentials.

19. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Calvin is an upgrade to AJ, Jamaal is not an upgrade to Mario.

20. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

Not only NO, But HELL NO...

Why would you even post such an ignorant suggestion? Just to be posting I guess... Ignorant Post number 10,199 :stirpot: