Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What if Kubiak re-signs

I think Lucky's points regarding the pros of extending his contract are valid. I think McNair gives him a 2 year extension in order to project stability and long-term planning. Getting an OC for a one year deal is probably limiting our options.

I could see giving him a 1 year extension, cause if it starts to look bleak, you can cut ties and not pay crazy cash to him.

I could see giving him a 1 year extension, cause if it starts to look bleak, you can cut ties and not pay crazy cash to him.

Or maybe a 3-year extension with 1 year guaranteed and a bonus next February if he is still the coach. I agree, you can't guarantee more than 1 year at this point unless you're prepared to eat the guaranteed money. Until he proves he can win in his division -- against teams he plays twice a year -- you can't be certain you have a decent coach. It is a bad sign when the teams that you know best and that know you best always beat you.

I like Kubiak. I think he came in with so little talent that his record in his first two years was a miracle. As far as I'm concerned, he has had only two years on the job with enough talent to compete, and he is 1 game over .500 in that time. He and Smith have done great things with the level of talent on this team, and another year promises to simply increase the talent level further. I've always thought he needed to stay another year.

However, if he can't win in the division he can't remain as coach of this team.

The Texans play the NFC East next year, and it looks like Kubiak's mentor and his current offensive coordinator will be coaching for one of those teams. They could easily go 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs again, simply because they have a very tough schedule. If they go 8-8 and go 3-3 or better in the division, I would be much more inclined to keep Kubiak than if they go 9-7 and 1-5 in the division again.

Back