What ever happened to the white helmets?

Discussion in 'Texan Tailgate' started by barrett, Jul 6, 2007.

1. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Ok, I know we're all trying our damdest to come up with something to talk about while we wait 20 more days... and basically rehashing the same topics over and over and over. I was remembering back to when they first unveiled the team logo and it was on a white helmet. I don't think we had uniforms in any form at that point so I was wondering if that was just for the purpose of the unveiling or was a white helmet ever actually a consideration and if so what led to it's eventual demise?

P.S. I know there have been plenty of "uni" threads and I'm not suggesting another debate on that, just curious...

2. 281

281 Hall of Fame

i think it was more to show off the logo on the helmet than anything else... the helmet is a part of the uniform, so the official blue helmet didn't show up until our official uniform unveiling.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

281 is correct. The white helmet was just generic to display our new logo.

The only official helmet has been the blue ones, and I honestly hope it stays that way.

4. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I agree they should stay blue, but if they ever do change to the white helmets, they should go with a red face mask, IMO.

5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Maybe when it comes time for a Texans throwback uniform we'd have the white helmet. I think it'd be a pretty cool ensemble to have Liberty white helmets, jersey and pants. Of course that is until the first play of the game on natural grass. Unless we wear them at an away game where there's field turf.:cool:

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I agree, but I know a lot of other people think all the white is "sissy-ish".

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

LOL! Maybe, but I'm pretty secure with my manhood.:user:

Look at D-Ryans in your avatar. Put a white helmet (with red facemask previously mentioned) on him and it'd look pretty tough IMO.

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I think they test marketed the helmets and decided on the blue helmets early on...I think they just wanted to show the fans what the logo looked like on a helmet. I think it's kinda ugly myself. Glad they went with the blue.

HOU-TEX likes this.

9. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

That would look pretty damn close to an Oilers helmet. I would have no problem with that color combo on the helm. I may have to try that out once Madden 08 comes out. Our uniforms look a bit too much like Denver for my liking but they are nice uniforms and already look NFL. Nothing is worse than an NFL uniform that looks like it belongs in the Arena League (see Thanksgiving Cowboys uniform, Bengals uniform, Ravens uniform, or Falcons uniform for examples of Arena League type uniforms)

10. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

with some stripes on it and maybe the numbers on the back, it would look a lot better. but yeah the helmet McNair is holding looks dull.

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Two of our division opponents already have white helmets, and three out of four teams would be way too many, IMO.

12. texanmojo

texanmojo Shotgun 30 Time

How can you possibly have a 'throwback' helmet color when the only color we have ever officilly had is blue? Makes absolutely no sense at all.

I think we need to wait another 15 or 20 years before we worry about a 'throwback' version. The blue helmets look great...let's leave it that way for awhile.

13. shawn76ers

shawn76ers Texan Genius

I agree the white helmets look 100% better than our "broncos helmet" we currently wear.
    I was always curious to who made the decision to switch to the blue??
    of course i am bias, cuz the white does remind me of the oilers- for me good memories ~~

14. Vinny

I don't think there was ever a "switch to blue" (could be wrong since I'm not totally sure)...but from what I understand the Texans test marketed the helmets (like a good corporation) and did a study and decided more people liked the blue than the white...the rest is history.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I said "when it comes time"! Even though we do not use the white helmet, it was still the first helmet to sport the Texan logo. Which would be the reason I stated it. Who knows, by the time we do wear a throwback uniform the blue ones my be the ones we'll be wearing.

It was discussion sake anyways. So relax :shades:

Brando likes this.
  16. Bull Pen 1

Bull Pen 1 Hall of Fame

I kept my white helment.

17. Vinny

all personal preference I guess...but I never want to see stripes on that helmet...I think it looks uncluttered and tough with a straight on view. Simple and tough looks better than those fancy partial stripes the meatballs have. But then again, I love Chicago's helmet and most of the other simple, straightforward looks. I don't like helmets that are too busy.

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Training camp, please hurry!!!!!

19. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

We could use white helmets for training camp... :cool:

20. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

My biggest hope is that we are consistant and don't start changing our uni's every few years. Only the classic teams seem to have any sense of identity. I hope that we continue with our three (now four with the all whites.... here we go) uniforms. I'd really prefer, even though we always do so well in battle red, that we only had two options and we stuck with that for A LONG TIME to develop a sense of identity and history.